Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Soundsport Free Wireless doesn't get into pair mode, updater doesn't work

They suddenly stopped working. The hardware is fine, but I think software got into a mode where it cannot get back into pairing mode.

When I take them our of the case, the left bud keeps blinking white, the right one has no lights on.

Clicking on the right one (power button) to clear the list gets them into blinking blue mode, but then the left one becomes red and and the right one has no lights, thats it.

Clicking on the left one to get into bluetooth pairing mode is not working.

Since it cannot be paired, I can't use the Bose Connect app to refresh firmware.

I tried using the Bose Updater. It keeps failing at
```
Opened USB_05a7_40fe_14312000
CLOSE USB_05a7_40fe_14312000
```
Usually fails at 5%. When I get lucky a few times, it failed at:

```
"Update: Waiting for int mode reset -> Waiting for ext mode"
"reset-enter-external-bootmode"
"Num excluded devices = 1"
"EXT: Entering mode"
"Waiting for device to drop out...(0x40fe)"
```

I am at a loss. I can't believe there is no way to put these things into a factory reset mode. Software got into an unstable state. I checked the website, it is trying to sell me new ones saying my warranty is expired (!).

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Soundsport Free Wireless doesn't get into pair mode, updater doesn't work

Hey nalch, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am sorry to read that you are having some issues with your SoundSport Free's and would love to assist you further. 

Let's start with performing a reset on the headphones by following these steps below: 

• Place your earbuds in the charging case
  • Connect the charging case to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the charging case, then wait one minute
  • Remove your earbuds from the case.

I would also like for us to test using the downloader on another site as well as deleting and reinstalling the Bose Connect App on your device to see if you are able to perform the update. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps and if any other users are also having this issue please do let me know. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Re: Soundsport Free Wireless doesn't get into pair mode, updater doesn't work

I followed these instructions. After I took from their box:

- left pod starts blinkinbg, right pod has no lights,

- then right pod starts blinking, now they are botj blinking

- for a brief period they show solid white,

- then right pod's light turns off

- left pod show red

Or sometimes they never get to 'both of them solid white' state. Right bud always turns off its light and then left bud keeps blinking white.

Pressing on power on the left bud turns it on, then they get both solid white together, for a second, then right pod turns off again. Then left pod is red.

I was able to update the 2.6 firmware using the `Bose Updater`. It took me perhaps 5-6 trials but it is pdated now.

I am not sure how you can use Bose Connect App from your phone to update your pods when they do not blue-tooth pair with your phone.