Soundsport Free and MacBook Pro connection

SOLVED
Silent Starter

Soundsport Free and MacBook Pro connection

I've searched for a similar issue several times, and found nothing. I'm trying to connect a set of Soundsport Free headphones to a Macbook Pro 2017, running on High Sierra. When I connect the headphones, the sound is substandard and only the right headphone emits sound. The bluetooth button on the left earbud doesn't respond at all. Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't change the issue, nor does clearing the bluetooth device list with the debug tools. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: Soundsport Free and MacBook Pro connection

Hi

I had this exact same problem, sub-quality audio when trying to connect to my macbook pro and tried everything in this thread...

However, I managed to fix it! This might not work for anyone else, but I did it by changing the audio input in system preferences > sound to Internal Microphone, whilst leaving the output as Bose Soundsport. 

Hope this works for anyone else with the problem (it was driving me mad). 

31 REPLIES 31
Community Manager

Hi thaliaschild

Thanks for writing in!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but happy to help!

• Do the headphones connect to a mobile device correctly?
  • It sounds like the computer is latching on the HFP (hands free profile) Bluetooth profile which is enabling communication instead of stereo audio.
  • I'd recommend clearing the pairing list on the headset and Mac and try with a new pairing.
  • If this doesn't work, I'd recommend checking the Apple support page to see if there are any new Bluetooth drivers that can be updated.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Silent Starter

Mobile devices connect flawlessly. What is the process for clearing the profiles from the headphones?
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi thaliaschild

Thanks for the update!

We wouldn't be able to clear the Bluetooth profiles themselves, but we can clear the Bluetooth pairing list however with these instructions:

• Press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds, until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”
  • Delete your headphones from the Bluetooth list on your mobile device. All devices are cleared and the headphones are ready to connect.

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Quiet Contributor

Hi thaliaschild

Did you ever get this resolved with your soundsport free connection with your Macbook?

Having the same problem and tried everything!!!

Hey @Samseven,

Thanks for writing in and sorry that you're having trouble. Can you please try pairing them again and verify some of the audio output and input settings for us? 

Enter the sound settings from System Preferences from the Apple Menu. 

Click on the "Output" tab and select the Bose headphones with the Stereo designation. 

Please click on the "Input", and select the Bose headphones. 

Try playing music to initialize the change. 

Let us know your findings when you get the chance. 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

Silent Starter

I can't speak for Sam, but changing the sound settings did precisely nothing to help me. Nor did clearing the cached bluetooth device profiles. Nor did restarting the laptop.

Quiet Contributor

Hi there, I did what you have suggested and still no joy. Below are some shots from my screen and it seems to be that I cannot change the format from 1channel to 2channel. The option is there but will not let me select it. I have been to apple also and the only way we got it to work was by having headphones in the jack and then choosing bose not headphones from the sound option, you can then change the channel also.  All very odd and frustrating.

Apple have confirmed there is nothing wrong with my Macbook and all is up to date. It would be great if anyone at bose could maybe try this on there Macbook if they have one. The macbook I use is a Macbook pro 13 early 2015.

Kind regards

Screenshot 2019-01-15 at 22.13.58 (1)-min.pngScreenshot 2019-01-15 at 22.13.51-min (1).pngScreenshot 2019-01-15 at 22.13.27-min.png

Quiet Contributor

I have the same problem. My MAC has mojave 10.14.2.

Community Manager

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for writing in!

Have you been able to try any of the troubleshooting from above?

Warm Regards,

Tony A