Ludo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2018

Soundsport Free left side issue during call

Bose fan forever but having issues with the Soundsport free:
The left side doesn’t work while calling or listening to my voicemail on an iPhone ( I have a 7 and a X).
Also, one more user who can’t take a call when connected to my Apple Watch 3. The sound comes from the Watch or iPhone but not the Soundsport.
Other minor issues already reported by so many...
Find a solution, please. It’s a lot of money spent and too many issues
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Soundsport Free left side issue during call

Author Accepted Answer selected by Ludo

Hey Ludo,

Welcome to the community my friend, thanks so much for posting.  

To clarify - the SSF's utilize the master/puppet design so the signal flow is as follows: your phone will transmit a BT signal to the right earbud (master) which will then transmit that data to the left earbud (puppet).  The audio while on a phone call is intended to only play through the right side so that is working normally.

It sounds like it can be kind of tricky with the Apple watch connection as well.  Can I ask, what do you have your call routing settings set to?  You can find this by going to settings > general > accessibility > call audio routing.  Can you try setting it to Bluetooth headset and see if that has an effect?  

Thank you again and I hope that you have a truly wonderful day and weekend.

Take care,

Shiloh_C 

207 REPLIES 207
Yasser_2020
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 29, 2017

SoundSport left ear not working

My new SoundSport Free headphones is really disappointed only right earbuds working when you make call with poor sound quality is going to be fixed through software update or I should return it back?
Both earbuds working fine with music
Community Manager

Re: SoundSport left ear not working

Hi Yasser_2020,

Thanks for choosing Bose. I'm sorry you are disappointed with your SoundSport Free wireless headphones.  Yes, when you are using a phone, call audio is heard (only) in the right earbud.

Here is how we describe the call functionality on the Bose website.

Can SoundSport Free wireless headphones take calls?

Yes. SoundSport Free headphones have an integrated dual-microphone array located on the right earbud to allow you to use them during calls when connected to a smartphone that supports the Bluetooth® HFP profile. Call audio will be heard in the right earbud. In addition to traditional calls, the headphones will work with many apps that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), such as Skype or FaceTime.

We want you to be satisfied with your Bose product, but if this is not suitable for you please return it in accordance with the seller's return policy.  

Thank you,

ST

@Yasser_2020 wrote:
My new SoundSport Free headphones is really disappointed only right earbuds working when you make call with poor sound quality is going to be fixed through software update or I should return it back?
Both earbuds working fine with music

millerk1981
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

So now this is my second pair of Free headphones.  My problem just like the previous my left earbud won't sync or power on at all.  I can press the bluetooth button and it says what device I am connected to however there is no sound coming from the left earbud.  So annoyed and very disappointed in this product.  At 1st everything worked fine until I tried selecting a different device that was already stored in the bose history.  I will give BOSE until 7pm tonight before I return them and select a different brand.  This is ridicous and unacceptable for a product as high as these.  And yes everything is fully charged.  Inserting the buds into the case and waiting 30-45 seconds to a minute did nothing.   Unpairing and repairing does not solve the issue neither did clearing the bluetooth history of both devices.  

Hi millerk1981

Thanks for chiming in. Sorry to hear about your experience. You should be enjoying your music and we want you to be able to use your product without issue. I would recommend contacting your local bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "contact us"

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you

Tony

Suhpac
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 16, 2017

Hey. I have the same issue connecting my bose soundsport free to my ipod nano 7th gen (had no issues with the bose soundsport (not the free soundsport)). Figured out something that works for me though with the soundsport free.

Steps to fix for me:
1. Turn bluetooth on ipod nano off (or jus make sure the bose free are not connected to any device.
2. Open the bose connect app on my s8 phone.
3. Make sure bose free are in pairing mode.
4. The app should find both right n left earbuds (both buds will appear in color n not grayed out).
5. IF the left earbud is grayed out then press the power/pairing button once (button on that earbud) n it should appear in color.
6. Not sure if this step is necessary, but drag the pic of the buds down (to connect them to the app). Once connected to the app I play a youtube vid or song on my phone to ensure both earbuds output sound.
7. Using the app select Disconnect n it will disconnect both earbuds from the app.
8. Turn bluetooth back on (on my ipod), make sure both earbuds are in pairing mode.
9. ipod will detect the bose free so connect to them.
10. Both earbuds now play music or podcast, etc.
Note: Ridiculous that I need to do this every time I want to sound to come out of the left earbud, n it still occassionally disconnects n quickly reconnects, but this is what works for me. Hope this works for you or anyone else having this issue.

Suhpac,

Thank you kindly for sharing your process with the community, I'm sure that will be very helpful for other users.

I hope you have a wonderful day,

Shiloh_C

anju_v
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 3, 2017

Agree with you Yasser, I was really excited about my SoundSport when I got it last night. But now am planning to return it too, disappointed with the right-ear only voice. Still trying to see if Bose will fix this with some software update.  

Longhorn
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Yes I too am so disgusted with the free headset. Did the firmware update and it did not fix it. Went for a run a second time and if I tilted my head to the left I could here music. Which sucks because my head has to be tilted. When I’m in the office they work but it is when I run they mess up. I finally decided to pay a high price and get crap.
Bstcgrant
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I bought the earbuds for Christmas. I am deaf in my right ear. Is there a way to fix it so that the earbud work in my right ear? The sound quality is great.