Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 25, 2019

Re: SoundSport left ear not working

hey dear people

i've been going through issues with the left earbud not working for several months on bose soundsport. it didn't work with my pc at all and only randomly with my sony mp3 player. i have gone through various forums here and didn't find a sollution until i figured it out for myself. i'm posting my fix here and in a few other similar threads in a hope that this workaround can also help some other users. apologies if this has been already solved in the same way. it hasn't a while ago when i was checking on fora and now i'm too lazy to go through all the answers.

so, basically i realized that it take up to one minute for the left earbud to activate. only when it is active it should connect with your device. here are steps i take for both earbuds to work:

1. if my little buddies are paired with a device i want to use, first i make sure that either i'm far from it or i deactivate the bluetooth function (the case with my computer. to deactivate in windows, you click on windows sing on your keyboard and start typing "bluetooth". you should then see an option "bluetooth and other device settings" so go there and do the thing

2. only then i take the earbuds out of their case

3. i wait for both earbuds to activate. you will hear a number of beeps in the right one. only when you hear a beep in your left earbud, it means it is active. it takes about 30s so be patient

4. then you are ready to re-activate your bluetooth function or come closer to your device so that the bluetooth connection can be established (in my mp3 player i had to swich off an option of automatic re-connection and i do it manually when both earplugs are active) and either let it connect automatically, or connect earbuds manually.

that's it. in my case both earbuds are then working fine and this has proven to work consistenly in the last few weeks

it is a simple process once you do it several times and and, while i shouldn't be doing it at all in the first place, it is actually not that much of pain in the ass after all, just a little extra habit.

again, hope that this could help some of you

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Hi, the issue here is left earbud not working during calls.... and also lag when watching some video apps, like YouTube (Netflix works fine).
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 25, 2019

Re: Soundsport Free left side issue during call

Hello,

Are you saying it is by design to have a phone call via right side only? and it is no way to have both side voice when making a phone call?

Thanks

Regards,

Gary

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

That’s what they told me. Phone is right side only because of their chip design.
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Yes, working as designed by Bose
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your responses. To clarify, the Truly Wireless chipset that we use in the SoundSport Free headphones does not allow call audio to be transmitted to both earphones. Future firmware upgrades will not be able to change this.

Best regards,

Patrick A - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 5, 2019

I have been using Bose products for many years now and have always been very happy, but i have to say these are just not worth the money !! Bose why would we pay this money for headphones that can only use the right ear for calls ?? every other manufacturer have been able to do it !!

I will be returning mine tomorrow !!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

At first I did not like the right ear only limitation. But when I don't use buds and for most of my life, I listened to phone calls with only one ear, and usually my right. When I decided it wasn't a big deal, it wasn't.

The otherwise excellent performance of these ear buds makes up for this minor inconvenience. It's great to be free of wires.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

@anju_v wrote:

Agree with you Yasser, I was really excited about my SoundSport when I got it last night. But now am planning to return it too, disappointed with the right-ear only voice. Still trying to see if Bose will fix this with some software update.  

The word I got from Bose was that this is an issue with the chip they used and it cannot be changed with software or firmware. You are stuck with one ear by design for calls. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

@roby_soft wrote:
Hi, the issue here is left earbud not working during calls.... and also lag when watching some video apps, like YouTube (Netflix works fine).

Unfortunately, the left earbud behaves as designed for calls. Because of the chip they chose to use, it cannot (via software or firmware) be changed to allow stereo audio during calls. If the mic is in use, only the right side audio works. Worst. Design. Decision. Ever.