Jangland
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Re: Soundsport Free won’t connect to anything.

Thanks for the help.  I just tried this method twice, and I am still getting the same slow blinking white light, and no voice at all in either ear bud.  I tried holding in all of the buttons for 10 seconds each and not getting any response.

This seems like a software failure.  I wish there was a way to restore.

Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello Jangland,

That's a shame that you are still experiencing connection issues, even after doing the reset. There are still a few troubleshooting steps that we can try, like clearing the pairing list, updating the firmware and rebooting the Bluetooth device you are using. 

To clear the product memory of connected Bluetooth® devices:

• Press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear Bluetooth device list cleared. Once cleared, your product is ready to connect a new device.

To install a Bose system update, follow these steps (Note: A USB-A to USB-micro B cable is required for this update):

1. Be sure the computer has internet connectivity, and that you're running a compatible operating system and web browser.
  2. Navigate to the Bose Bluetooth Device Updater page at btu.bose.com and select your product
  3. Click "Accept and Continue" to accept the terms of the Bose Updater
  4. Click "Download" to download the updater
  5. Once downloaded, open the file to install the updater, then connect the headphones to your computer via USB
  6. If an update is available, click "Apply Changes" to download the latest software. You can also click "Learn More" to find out about what improvements the update contains
  7. Once the system has been successfully updated, disconnect the headphones from the computer

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Jangland
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Unfortunately, still in the same boat.  It did take the firmware update, but no change in behavior.  

Charlotte_G

Hello Jangland,

When you cleared the pairing list, did you also remove/delete the headphones from your device's Bluetooth list? 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Jangland
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Yes, I had it paired to a Macbook pro, ipad pro, and Google Pixel 3 phone.  All 3 devices have been cleared. 

Charlotte_G

Hello Jangland, 

Sorry, I meant deleted on the devices' pairing list. So on your MacBook Pro, go to your Bluetooth settings and delete the SoundSport Free's. Also, do this on the iPad Pro and Google Pixel 3.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Subaquatic
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Same issue for me, white light flashing, no voice prompts. Bought these for my holiday, tried all options listed previously.

I have no access to a laptop or support. Just my phone. 

Very disappointed. Now have to go buy a pair of cheaper headphones for my holiday.

Vicky_W

Hello Subaquatic, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that you are having issues getting your SoundSport Free headphones to connect to your devices. I would love to work with you and try and get this resolved.

Let's start by trying the steps mentioned by other moderators on this thread, noted below for convenience. 

• Go to btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software.
  • Try resetting your headphones. To do this place the earbuds into the charging case, plug the charging case into a wall outlet using a USB charger and wait 5 seconds, unplug the USB cord from the charging case and wait 1 minute. After that remove the earbuds from the case and try again. 
  • Clearing the Bluetooth list. To do this press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds, until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”
  • Delete your headphones from the Bose Connect app and from the Bluetooth list on your mobile device and then repair them. 

Once you have completed these steps please try again to connect the headphones. If you are unsuccessful please can you let me know a few details: 

1. What firmware are the headphones running? 
  2. Which device are you trying to connect to? 
  3. What firmware version is your device running? 

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

osayeed
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Wish I had read this forum before buying the soundsport free head phones. I have exactly the same symptoms:

1) Flashing white light on the left earbud.

2) Holding for 10 seconds does not put the set in pairing mode (flashing blue).

3) Reset procedure (5 second in wall charger, wait 1 minute, etc....) recommended by Bose doesn't reset.

Not yet tried the BoseUpdaterInstaller but consumer's but that requires local admin privliges which my company controls strictly. Applying for rights now. 

Dear Bose team - In reply would request you to kindly post clear description of the defect, quote applicable model & firmware versions, root cause analysis, and resolution plan.

[ Edited by Moderator ] 

Subaquatic
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Exactly the same as my problem.

I tried everything and eventually gave up, a drive to the only Bose store in my city. They refused to replace them, telling me I had to ship them back to bose, as i had purchased mine via the QANTAS program.

After many calls, they finally got replaced.

Poor product with even worse service in this case.