Highlighted
jw929
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2017

Soundsport free wireless headphones - Mac bluetooth microphone/sound issues

Hello, By default, when I connect my headphones to my MacBook, the connect as both the output device and input device (mic). I would expect this as the headphones have a built in mic. The challenge is, when this happens, I get no sound out of the left ear piece. Even weirder, when looking on the "Output" tab of the Sound Preferences pane, when the Bose headphones are setup as the Input device (by default), the Output pane indicates that "The selected device has no output controls". This essentially means that the balance control that is normally there is missing. One side effect of this is that I don't get sound out of the left ear piece. When I reconfigure the input device to be my laptops mic, magically, the balance control re-appears and I am magically able to get sound out of the left earpiece without changing the balance (which is centered). Any idea why this might be?
1 REPLY 1
Captain Ignorant
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 7, 2019

Re: Soundsport free wireless headphones - Mac bluetooth microphone/sound issues

It looks like you are currently connected with the bluetooth headset profile. The headset profile has a microphone and only uses the right earbud.

If your current application requests the headset profile then the balance control disappears.

If you start playing media from an app (browser/itunes/etc) does it switch to an audio profile and use both earbuds?

Not sure why the decision was made to use just one earbud on the headset profile. It would be useful for things like Skype to have sound in both earbuds. You would not listen to music on the headset profile as it is poor quality but it would be fine for calls etc.