Soundsport wired, in-ear (apple) volume up/down, skip, pause etc. stopped working as of Sept. 2019

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Soundsport wired, in-ear (apple) volume up/down, skip, pause etc. stopped working as of Sept. 2019

Hello All,  

As of the beginning of Sept. my Soundsport wired in-ear phones volume up/down, skip/pause/play buttons stopped working on one of my iPOD nano 7th gen.  I have one iPOD that is updated to the latest Apple software, one that is outdated by at least 6 months.  The earphone controls do not work on the Apple updated iPOD, but they work just fine on the non-updated IPOD.  Any one else have the same issue?  Any solutions?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Soundsport wired, in-ear (apple) volume up/down, skip, pause etc. stopped working as of Sept....

Hello @sound_and_fit 

Thank you for messaging the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your SoundSport In-Ear Apple Headphones with your iPod Nano. 

I would love to do what I can in order to assist you with this matter. 

Did the headphones inline remote work previously with this iPod? 

Do you still get audio from your headphones and it is just the inline controls which you are experiencing issues with?

If you have a third Apple product available, can you also test on this third product also? 

Can you provide us with the software versions, make and models of all these tested Apple products? Highlighting which products work and which do not. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Tegan

Quiet Contributor

Re: Soundsport wired, in-ear (apple) volume up/down, skip, pause etc. stopped working as of Sept....

Hi Tegan,

The Bose SoundTrue audio works just fine in both ear pieces (tested on different iPODs, PS4 controller, and computer).  The inline remote worked perfectly until about a week ago.  I assume it was iTune updates on the computer that connects to my iPOD that messed it up. 

I have two Apple iPOD 7th generation devcies: (1) MD477LL (blue), (2) MD475LL (pink).  The Bose SoundTrue volume up/down, slip etc. was working with the my blue iPOD until recent iTunes updates in beginnning of Sept 2019.  I don't update the pink iPOD with the same computer and the iTunes the pink one is connected to hasn't been updated for months. The in-line remote control, volumen buttons etc. works perfectly with the pink iPOD. 

Both iPOD have a software version 1.0.4 PC.  

I am using iTUNEs 12.5.9.7 for the blue iPOD.  Last night I tried using iTunes 12.9.6.3 as well, still the same issue.  

Hello sound_and_fit,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing difficulty with the controls on your SoundTrue headphones. Firstly, I know this seems like a very trivial thing but I would suggest checking to make sure that some dust or lint has not gotten into the audio jack causing the controls not to work; I would also suggest rebooting your iPod.

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Zoe,

Thank you for the suggestion and it's a reasonable one.  I used compressed air to clear anything in the audio jack of the iPOD nano.  I tested the Bose Soundtrue in-ear afterwards and still the same issue. 

Hello sound_and_fit, 

Thanks for getting back to me, that's a shame that didn't work. What about rebooting the iPod did you give that a go? I would recommend trying another pair of headphones with the iPod that is giving you the trouble. Do you have a case around your iPod?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards, 

Zoe C 

Quiet Contributor

Hello Zoe,

I've done the following so far:

• rebooted the iPOD
  • used compressed air to clean the audio jack
  • "restored" the iPOD from iTunes and re-synced the devices to try to make it like new software-wise
  • rolled back iTunes to previous versions and then "restored" the iPOD
  • I have a soft squishy case around the iPOD
  • I have a clear screen protector on the iPOD screen
  • I tried another Bose headpohones (QC 35) sound was fine, the issue is the control buttons, they don't work anymore on this particualr iPOD after iTunes updated

Hi Sound_and_fit, 

Thank you for providing this information. It is most helpful. 

Do you have any other headphones which have controls that you could try? I know you mentioned the QC35s but these use Bluetooth rather than a cabled connection. I'm trying to determine if this is an issue with your iPOD or with your headphones. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Jessie,

Today I borrowed a co-workers Bose Soundtrue wired in-ear phones and while the audio was fine, the volume up/down, skip etc. buttons did not work.   A few hours later when I was on the treadmill for some random reason with my Bose Soundtrue wired in-earphones, I could adjust the volume for about 2 sec w/ the buttons.  Afterwards, songs started to skip, I had to reboot and back to the same problem.

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm starting to think that despite doing all the fix actions I've mentioned including an iPOD restore from iTtune, nothing is working.  I'm close to buying another iPOD to test things out. 

Thank you. 

Hello sound_and_fit, 

That is very strange! Before making such a purchase, do you have a local Apple store? Or an electronics store retailing these products? I would recommend popping in there and testing the headphones on the demo iPods. 

Let us know how you get on with this. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G