Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Sportsport Free - Cannot connect to Bose Apps or update via online

Hello,

I'm trying to do any of the following and none seem to work:

• Connect headphones to the Bose Connect App (they don't seem to be found)
  • Connect headphone to the Bose Hear App (they don't seem to be found)
  • Update headphones firmware via online updater (it won't progress past the "this page redirects you to the update page" page)

Things I've tried already:

• Power headphones off, then back on. Exit Bose apps.
  • "Reset" via turning headphones off, wait 1 minute, connecting to wall outlet via usb, wait 30 seconds, power back on
  • Disconnecting, unpairing, and forgetting device on laptop and phone.

Things I've tried, but unable to execute:

• Hold power/bluetooth button for 10 seconds until “Bluetooth device list cleared.” is heard. I've tried this multiple times, but no matter the combination and length of time, I never hear this voice command. Instead, it cycles between "power on" and "pairing" voice commands.

I'm using a Macbook Pro and iPhone 6s. The headphones DO pair and play music just fine across both laptop and phone and the audio fidelity is great. I'm ecstatic about that - just want to be able to use the apps and update the firmware.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Sportsport Free - Cannot connect to Bose Apps or update via online

Hi JeremyKanne, 

Thanks for reaching out, I am sorry that you are having this experience with your SoundSport Free headphones. 

Great use of troubleshooting, these were good first initial steps. We would like to do what we can to get this resolved for you. 

Firstly, can you please inform me on where you purchased your headphones?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Thanks for the reply, Tegan.

I purchased these still sealed from a private seller. 

Highlighted

Thanks for this. 

Does our website recognise your products serial number? You can find the serial number located on the side of the product box. Please enter your serial number here. 

Can you also send us some images of your product. 

Thanks!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Yes, the website does accept my serial number - I have also registered the product. Photos attached below.

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

  

IMG_1186.JPG

Highlighted

Perfect, thanks for adding these images @JeremyKanne 

Just to make you aware you won't be able to find the headset on the Bose Hear app as they are not compatible with this application. 

Do you have any other mobile devices you can download the Bose Connect app on to see if they are able to detect the headset? I would also recommend deleting and reinstalling the Bose Connect app from your device and reinstalling this? 

When using the updater are you doing this via a mobile device? If so this isn't something that can be performed via a mobile, the headphones will need to be connected via a USB charging cord directly to a PC.

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Just to make you aware you won't be able to find the headset on the Bose Hear app as they are not compatible with this application.

--That's unfortunate. I was really looking forward to adjusting the bass in the headphones. Will there be any way to do this?

Do you have any other mobile devices you can download the Bose Connect app on to see if they are able to detect the headset?

--I don't think so? I have a Mac laptop and an iPhone

I would also recommend deleting and reinstalling the Bose Connect app from your device and reinstalling this?

--I have done this and there is no change.

When using the updater are you doing this via a mobile device? If so this isn't something that can be performed via a mobile, the headphones will need to be connected via a USB charging cord directly to a PC.

--I am connecting usb cable to the case to my Mac laptop. I've tried multiple cords. I've tried with the headphones in the case and the case open and headphones in the case with the case closed. No change.

Highlighted

Thank you for answering those questions.

When you have the headphones out of the charging case if you were to go to the Bluetooth device list on your phone or laptop, do the headphones show up on that list? If so, can you connect to them from there?

To make sure they do show up in this list, take the buds out of the charging case and press and hold the Bluetooth button on the left earbud until the Bluetooth light starts flashing blue. 

If you can connect them through the phone's Bluetooth settings, you will then be able to open the Bose Connect app and it will find them as available. The once they are in the app we will be able to update them wirelessly and avoid the need to connect to them with the USB cable and computer.

Let us know how you get on.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

When you have the headphones out of the charging case if you were to go to the Bluetooth device list on your phone or laptop, do the headphones show up on that list? If so, can you connect to them from there?

--Yes, they pair just fine on both my Mac and iPhone. Sounds and works great.

To make sure they do show up in this list, take the buds out of the charging case and press and hold the Bluetooth button on the left earbud until the Bluetooth light starts flashing blue. 

If you can connect them through the phone's Bluetooth settings, you will then be able to open the Bose Connect app and it will find them as available. The once they are in the app we will be able to update them wirelessly and avoid the need to connect to them with the USB cable and computer.
--This is precisely what I'm having issues with. I have them connected/paired and they do not show up in the Bose Connect app.

Highlighted

Thank you for clarifying that jeremyKanne, I wasn't sure if you were pairing them through the app, or had already connected them to your phone.

Out of interest then, if you were to disconnect them from your phone, and put them in pairing mode, would you be able to see the headphones in the app, if you opened the app before pairing the phone to them?

Something else that would be worth checking would be the permissions the Bose Connect app has on your iPhone. It would need permission to use features that come under Bluetooth and Location Services to be able to detect the headphones correctly. To check this you would want to:

• Launch the Settings app from your Home screen.
  • Tap Privacy.
  • Tap Location Services.
  • Scroll down and find the Bose Connect app.
  • Select the Bose Connect app and make sure the permissions are enabled.

After doing this, reboot the phone and try connecting with the Bose Connect app again.

Let me know how you get on.