Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

This is why your sound lags!! Bose cheaping out! No aptX? No Noise cancellation @$200?

So I have found the issue with all of your lag issues.

I'm an IT professional (network engineer) by trade to give you an idea of the tech expertise behind the research 🙂     I just posted this as a response but thought it worth its own post to get the necessary attention. 

Well it seems Bose is using old codecs that aren't specialized for low latency.  Originally bluetooth headsets were just for calls where you really don't need the real time connectivity.  
Think what you're asking the devices to do.  You hit play on your phone.  it streams through Bluetooth via a codec to your phone.   Processing/decoding of this signal would introduce lag.   The only way is to have a codec that specializes in low latency real time communications.  Enter atpX.   

If you get a pair of headphones that feature aptX or aptX HD,  you should NOT experience any of these lag issues.   I have MANY pairs of bluetooth headphones of different price points and quality.   If you really want to test this,  go and buy a cheap pair of AptX headphones on Amazon and watch your latency issues disappear.  

Bose has REALLY let me down by not staying ahead of the curve and adapting these technologies.  Honestly, its one of those things most people don't even understand enough to know what they're missing.    They certainly aren't discounting their new products due to their desire to shortcut and short change their customers.  

I bought my first pair of SoundSports online to try and while I'm "fairly" impressed by the audio quality (for AAAC),  its not leaps and bounds better than others, just clear.   I personally am disgusted by the lag and wouldn't EVER consider Bose again until they step up their game.    If Bose did their research they'd realize AAAC is terrible when battery life matters 😞     Smartphones that prioritize energy efficiency over performance will encode AAC Bluetooth to a much lower bitrate and quality.

The ONLY thing that will work is the power of our $. STOP BUYING BOSE until they upgrade their tech!!!    I certainly won't and recommend returning anything bought with a 2019/2020 price tag with 2010's tech.  

I don't think a SINGLE Bose product is using AptX and most don't even have noise cancellation. 😞  

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

Re: This is why your sound lags!! Bose cheaping out! No aptX? No Noise cancellation @$200?

Thanks for the info...  Never knew any of that info...  What noise cancelling earbuds would you recommend (both wired and wireless) for an iPhone 11 Pro?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

Re: This is why your sound lags!! Bose cheaping out! No aptX? No Noise cancellation @$200?

Honestly,  I'm not an Apple guy so I'm only going off what I hear from other people but the Air Pods 2 Pro are apparently pretty high end.   They of course use their own proprietary tech for noise cancellation etc.   

I THINK,  they still use AAAC for the "HD audio" but the whole concept of AAAC is that some devices may be fine throwing that bit rate at it,  others not.   I cannot attest at all to their input delay or lag,  I can imagine using them with an iPhone they'd be top notch.    I bet others have reviewed this on Youtube etc.

If you buy Samsung Buds they only sound as good as they can with a Samsung due to use of their own codec.  

Personally,  I have an order in now for Anker LIbery 2 Pros or w/e they are hoping they are good for mobile gaming / media. 

I'm consulting IT so while sometimes I get to work remotely from home,  others I'll be in between clients onsite all day.   I like to play SNES / n64 emulators in my car and most car bluetooth connections are slow as dirt.  I cannot have audio lag or i'd rather just not play.  Just like watching video w/o syncing lips. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

Just a heads up.  I checked on Apple devices and they DO NOT and have never supported atpX so you are stuck with AAAC. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2020

Bose's explanation on this audio lag makes sense, I guess. However, referring to a windows 10 computer and an Apple iMac, why is it that my Mac works perfectly fine with Boss's current bluetooth technology? No perceptible lag.  Seems to me this is simply a Windows driver problem. I have found no other posts about this finding. I have also noticed that when I start a video in windows (youtube, or saved video) there is a delay approximately equal to the lag time before the audio starts which I do not have on the Mac.