TonyG1
Participant
Registered since

Oct 22, 2020

Re: Turn off noise cancellation for quietcomfort earbuds

I find the default options of 0% (full mike pass through), 50% (more or less equivalent to ANC off in terms of what you hear) and full ANC fine, but as has been commented there's a real problem with wind noise.  I have a set of Sony WF-SP800s I use for sport and while the ANC isn't anywhere near as good, in windy conditions turning ANC to full "off" pretty much eliminates wind noise.

rare010
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2020

Hello,

I’m considering returning my earbuds for this very reason. 
Do we know if it will somehow be possible to disable anc someday ?

Without any news from the dev team, I will return the earbuds next week. 

Thank you

Kellerkind
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

I just stumbled across this post because i got my Bose QC Earbuds yesterday and I'm really disappointed in the Wind handling ..
I have the QC 35 II and with ANC Level 1 i can ride a bike in windy northern germany without any issues .. with the Bose QC Earbuds it's impossible to wear them while riding a bike .. no matter which ANC level i chose, as soon as i get a little faster, I only hear wind and can't enjoy my music.

According to a friend he has no issues like these with the Airpods Pro, so I ordered them today and will compare tomorrow, but I'm afraid I won't keep the Bose QC Earbuds, because if I can't use them outdoors, there really isn't any point in keeping them.

Ardelio
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

I have been trialing for a number of weeks the Bose QC, Sennheiser Momentum 2, and AirPod Pro.   I'm writing on this post because the issue described is related to what I'm about to discuss.  There are two aspects.  

First, the Bose QC have the noise cancellation (NC) and transparency mode (TM) linked.  When NC is set to 10 (its max) the TM is off.  But when NC is set to 0 (off), TM is on/maximized which means the MIC IS ACTIVATED causing the problems described by the other posts - picking up unwanted environmental noise such as wind.  There is no way of turning off NC *AND* TM.  This causes another problem described by many users - pink noise/hiss.  If you want to listen to music in a quiet environment without NC, then turning the NC off creates a hiss (because, again, the TM mode/mic is now activated causing the hiss).  Sennheiser Momentum 2 separates these two functions (NC & TM), and I recommend you do too.  They are independent features, independently controlled except as I'm about to discuss next.  Additionally, I would think if that if adding a means of turning off the ANC completely, it would add battery life since the mics aren't active.  

The second issue is the inability to quickly toggle from Music/NC active to Paused Music/Transparency mode.  This is HUGE and is the single most important reason I may not keep the Bose QC!  If wearing and there is a need to quickly talk with a person or assess the environment there currently is only two ways of accomplishing this:

1) Take an earbud out of your ear (to pause music and "manually" go into transparency mode because your ear is free....Ugh! so beneath a premium product!  OR

2) Double tap right earbud (to pause music), Double tap left earbud to go from max NC to shortcut 1, Double tap again to go to shortcut 2 NC level, and Double tap again to go to shortcut 3 (set to 0 NC/max TM).  FINALLY!...as the person is rolling their eyes at you for having to wait and watch all of the crazy gyrations of both hands and hoping you don't spill your latte on them when switching hands to hold your mug tapping both earbuds.  THIS IS A NO GO - NOT A WORKABLE SOLUTION!

So, in comparison, Sennheiser Momentum 2 can be set up to single-tap the right earbud once to simultaneously: pause music, cancel NC, and enter maximum TM.  Golden!  I use this constantly!  Now, you could add this too!  As far as I know, there are no functions associated with a single-tap on either the R or L earbud.  

PLEASE, comment on if this might be added because, for me, they are keepers if you do.

P.S.   I am not endorsing any of the other brands.  In fact, the BOSE QC *CRUSH* the others when it comes to sound!  In fact, they even rival my wired Westone Ear Monitors (which are nearly twice the cost of the Bose).  

philipper
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2020

I 100% agree with the OP. The strong wind noise while riding a bike is a serious issue. The QC earbuds are otherwise a great product, but that's a real deal breaker and I'm seriously considering a return. 

A mic-off setting is a badly needed update.

BogdanBla
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

I subscribe to this.

Thomas Kristensen
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2021

@Tegan_M - I'm a long-time fan of Bose QC but that ANC has become a forced ON is an absolute dealbreaker. The level of white noise caused by the ANC ( in "0") is ridiculous and makes the product unfit for extensive daily use! 

BogdanBla
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

I subscribe to this too.

Yoran
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Hi,

With my bose quiet comfort earbuds I cannot make a phone call when there is a slight breeze because of the ANC making it impossible for people to hear me. 

It happens when doing VOIP, normal phone calls on an iPhone and Android.

Why can't I disable the ANC completely instead of bringing it to '0'? When will this option be avalaible?

Thanks

paul.mitsakis@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2021

I agree with all of the above. I bought these for their great passive and active noise cancelling. I work in loud environments and not being able to completely disable anc makes it uncomfortably loud with certain environmental sounds and trying to speak outdoors in the wind is next to impossible. If there is no update in the next few weeks I'll be returning these under the 30 day money back guarantee offered at the time of purchase and getting the sennheiser buds.