Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zalameh
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

Unable to pair Bose QuietComfort earbuds with my MacBook Pro (Late 2016)

Hello, 

I can pair fine with my iPhone XR. 

Cannot pair with MacBook Pro. Bose app does not show my MacBook Pro. MacBook Pro has Bluetooth on and can pair fine with other devices. MacBook Pro doesn't show the Bose earbuds. I re-started the MacBook Pro, nothing changes. I pressed the Bluetooth button of the case with the earbuds there until it gets blue, still nothing. 

These are brand new earbuds, cannot understand the problem. 

Anyone can help pls? Thanks, 

9 REPLIES 9
Jeff_G

Re: Unable to pair Bose QuietComfort earbuds with my MacBook Pro (Late 2016)

Hello zalameh, 

Thanks for posting! 

Sorry to hear you've had trouble pairing your QC Earbuds to your MacBook Pro. 

Please see the following instructions for pairing.

1. Press and hold the Bluetooth button in the charging case until you hear "Ready to connect." If you're not wearing the earbuds, press and hold the Bluetooth button in the charging case until the earbud status lights slowly pulse blue.
  2. On your Mac, click the Apple logo in the top left corner, then click system preferences, then go to Bluetooth. 
  3. Select the earbuds from the device list. Look for the name you entered for your earbuds in the Bose Music app. If you didn't name your earbuds, the default name appears as. "BOSE QC EARBUDS"
    • Once connected, you'll hear "Connected to"
    • The earbuds name appears in the mobile device list
    • If you're not wearing the earbuds, the status lights glow solid blue

If this doesn't work, try resetting the Bluetooth chip in the Mac. You can do this by following these instructions: 

1. From your keyboard press (Shift + Option/alt keys and click on the Bluetooth icon at top Mac’s menu bar) 
2. On the Bluetooth menu, you'll see 'Debug' hover over that.
3. Click 'Reset the Bluetooth module'

I would also recommend restarting the Mac after doing this. 

If you still have issues, please test with other devices to see if the issue only occurs with the one system. If you only have issues with the Mac, try pairing other Bluetooth devices to see if they have problems pairing. 

Be sure to let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
zalameh
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

Thanks very much for this. 

I managed to pair it with the Macbook at the end, after calling Bose's customer service. They suggested that I re-set the earbuds instead. 

But the problem is still not solved. 

While now I can pair the Macbook Pro with the earbuds, I cannot access its control functions on the app. The app recognises that I am connected to the Macbook Pro but it does not give me access to any functionality. 

On the other hand, when I am connected to the iPhone I am able to adjust volume and noise cancelling levels + pick music I want to listen. 

Would you know how to solve this? Otherwise it defeats the purpose of connecting to the Macbook Pro if I am not able to regulate the earbuds, especially the noise cancelling level, to my desired level. 

Jeff_G

Hello Zalameh,

I can confirm what you have described is normal behavior. Since the Sport and QuietComfort Earbuds are a single-point product, they can only be controlled by the device it is actively connected to over a classic Bluetooth connection. Now, this may seem weird because technically they appear to be connected to both, and they kind of are. You see, the Bose Music app can still see a Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) device in range even if it's not sharing a classic Bluetooth connection. As a result, they can see the product is connected to the MacBook. However, they will have no control in-app since the primary connection is the MacBook.

As there is no app for a MacBook so the best way to make changes to the product is to connect the product back to the app and set up the ANC favorites as you would like. This will enable you to use the shortcut on the left bud before connecting to the MacBook. You can find more information for setting shortcuts here.

With regards to volume adjustment, this is made at the source device so the volume will be adjusted at the MacBook, the app is not needed for this. The earbuds follow the source device via AVRCP commands.

I hope this helps!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
zalameh
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

I am disappointed that an expensive Bose earbuds does not develop software to go with real life use of the earbuds... people nowadays are working from home, having desktop software, in my macbook, it is absolutely essential. 

PocketJP
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

....is normal behavior... sorry but i can't use my Bose QC Earbuds (400$) to listen music on my mac and take a call on my iPhone without let caller waiting 15sec before Bose disconnect from my MAC and connect to my iphone. Bose work to fix that BIG problem ?

Dr_MMM
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

There are some other really good products on the market that seamlessly switch between Mac and iPhone. (I guess I can't name them, but you can guess.) They work really well, so obviously it can be done. Just saying....

lilyk
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 13, 2021

This method is not working for me. I've tried like over 20 times and still cannot connect to my mac.

yly.summer
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2021

Hi @Jeff_G , I'm also having this problem, except I can't even get my earbuds to say "ready to connect." It just connects automatically to my phone, and I can see that it's discoverable there, but not on my Macbook. Would you happen to know why this is?

Jessie_O

Hey yly.summer, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your QC earbuds. 

I would recommend that you start with a reset. You can do this by following the instructions outlined HERE

Let me know how you get on!