TonyG1
Participant
Registered since

Oct 22, 2020

Re: Volume Control on new QuietComfort & Sports Earbuds

So here are some first impressions:

Updated the Bose Music app on my iPhone to 4.2.4 and activated the volume control on my QC earbuds.  Tried out the volume control while listening to music.  First off I'm glad Bose has gone for a swipe up/down option rather than Sony's tap to step volume up and long hold to turn volume down method - the Bose way is much more intuitive.  However it took me some time to get the swipe action right - sometimes it seemed to work smoothly, and sometimes nothing happened; a bit of experimentation and I found that a short light swipe at exactly the right spot is important, but also swiping too slowly gets interpreted as a "hold", which ends up activating the iPhone voice control.  It probably just needs time to get used to the controls.

Tx91791
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2020

I guess this is a needed improvement on the buds. But if that's it, for me, still lacking previous track and much more customization of the controls (and more controls) is probably going to keep me away. I've tried the Jabra 85t's and they seem good enough for the cheaper price and smaller package. For now.

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

Keppa
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

Greetings from France! Well done Bose team, it seems to work pretty well.

Could you check if easy for you to change the jingle when selecting a preset of ANC?
Bass, medium and treble sound by default when ANC set to 10, 5 or 0 for example?
Would be very useful and make you safer when on the streets. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Orbit1
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2020

Adding my thanks to Bose for the rapid addition of volume control. However, I agree there is little tactile discrimination between it and voice control (which for me is not a useful function).

hammerhead13
Participant
Registered since

May 8, 2020

How long before they update the Android app? The world doesn't revolve around iOS. It's funny how most companies jump to fix items related to Apple users and forget about everyone else. 

BogdanBla
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

And i can bet that the most buyers of Bose are Android users and not iOS users.

skandinaffsky
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

Hello everyone,

To those who are looking for the update on Android, thing is, so far (at least yesterday) it is available only on Canada's play market. I've heard there are browser extensions that allow you to download apps of any region, but I don't recommend or imply that you should update any other way than prescribed by manufacturer. 🙂

To Bose, a big thank you for switching on the volume feature. I am a firmware developer by day, so I know it's a pretty common practice to ship a product with features included, but just not turned on, as quality assurance isn't finished yet. So I appreciate that you've heard the community and sped up this process. I mean, we did notice that it wasn't a firmware update, but app update that added the toggle switch to switch on the volume control. 🙂 

Now, to the important part of the message:

On the matter of volume control itself: it's so great that it's finally here! But, I struggle to love it. I get it, KISS, and all, but why do we accept discrete volume control? What happened to good old continuous adjustment? I mean, we have now what, 8 points of volume adjustment that you switch through by swiping gesture? Why not to make it as many as system we connected to allows, and just glide smoothly between them? Ok, android gives us range of 15 volume adjustment points with physical buttons, I get it, pushing button 76 times isn't a good UX. But on the screen, you can slide the adjuster between the 15 predefined points. And take windows: 100 points of adjustment. With Bose earbuds, I measured only 8 points of adjustment! So it takes a range, and divides it by 8. Ok, in case we divide 15/8, we get 1.875 points of adjustment per swipe, which, I guess is reasonable if you want to get maximum changes with minimum actions, but still too rough to my ears. But 100/8, is whooping 12.5 points of adjustment! And listening to music on 25 and 37.5 is a lot of change for just one swipe.

Btw, I've no idea how it is in Apple's ecosystem, so do educate me if it's different there.

That being said, I hope it was just first release of the feature, and more fine tuning will follow with actual firmware updates. I personally dealt once with a task of mapping a physical slider interface mapping to control of electronic system, so I know it's not a trivial task, but certainly there is room for improvement. I know there are limitations, sensor is pretty short, and I've no idea what's the resolution is, but isn't it the marvel of engineering, to get maximum result with minimal inputs.

Apologies for the long read, I felt the need to go in details of my experience with the product. I can say it's the best purchase of the year for me, a necessary tool for me to be able to work. ANC is superb, and the fit is magic. I just got so attached to the product, that wish it would be as magical in all other aspects as well. And hope, that Bose reads user requests not only by quantity, but also by quality. 

P.S.

Also agree that we need Skip Back functionality.

Also, voice assistant never works on my samsung phone, how is it for other andorid users?

BogdanBla
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

Great post. Indeed, this is no firmware update, a big thumb up for your comment. 

I wish i could get the apk to install it. 

Regarding the voice assistant, same thing on my Note10+.

FlyBHX
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

So I downloaded the iOS app update and activated the volume option on my QC earbuds through the Bose music app. 

I’ve tried swiping up and down in various directions on the right earbud, but nearly always it just activates Siri (which would normally be a steady touch if the right earbud). Very occasionally I get a volume adjustment  but it’s not linear in relation to the swipe. So unless my swipe technique is incorrect (I’ve seen the diagram of how to do it), or this new feature is useless. 

For the time being I’ll just have to adjust the volume via iPhone or my Apple Watch whilst I’m using the buds 

Blyton
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Hi bose, just a question when will you guys update the app for Android so that those users that are on Android platform can have the volume control option too. We hope to see the playback controls have more functionality too for example like go back to previous track. The voice assistant also doesn't work for android, it only supports Bixby for Samsung phones and nobody uses Bixby nowadays cause it's really bad.