Highlighted
Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Volume not loud enough on new SoundSport Wireless

I just got a brand new pair of Bose wireless sound sports.  For the last 3 years I’ve been using the wired version and love them.  And I do like the wireless SoundSports, but the volume is just a bit too low, even when at 100%.  I use them with my iPad on a plane to watch TV shows and movies and I can barely hear some of the content.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a way to increase the max volume?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Volume not loud enough on new SoundSport Wireless

Hi Shaneyb72, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that the volume on your SoundSport Wireless is very low. This is not normal behavior. 

I would recommend making sure that you have turned the volume up on both the iPad the headphones using the onboard controls. 

Do you get the same issue when you pair to a different device? 

I look forward to your reply! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

It doesn’t seem to matter which of my 2 iPads I connect to.  If I’m using the DirecTV app, the volume is just too low (even at 100%). But with my Bose wired earbuds, it is fine at like 75%.  Now if I go to the music app on my iPhone, the volume is okay.  But I do notice that I have the volume about 2 clicks higher with the wireless earbuds over the wired ones.

Hi Shaneyb72, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this! 

So the issue only persists with the DirectTV App? Do you have any other Bluetooth devices that you can connect to the iPad to see if the low volume issue continues? 

I can see that there are a few threads on the internet where users are stating that they are having the same issue with various devices with the DirectTV app and it was apparently resolved with the latest DirectTV app update, can you please attempt to update the app and see if the issue continues? 

If anyone else is also having this issue with the DirectTV application with low volume please do let us know.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Okay, I was on another flight today and got to test a few things.  First I used the wireless Sound Sports and played video in all 3 apps I use on my iPad... DirecTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video.  The video had to be turned all the way up in all 3 apps and was still just a bit too low.  I then did the exact same thing with my Bose wired earbuds and all 3 apps were fine...and the volume was 2-3 clicks below max.

So again, is there any way to increase the max volume?

THANKS!

Hi Shaneyb72, 

There is not a way to surpass the maximum volume on the SoundSport wireless headphones. You may find that you have some options on your devices. Such as on most apple devices, there is a volume limiter that can be lifted. 

Which wired earbuds do you have?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

I’m really not sure what wired earbuds they are.  They are VERY similar to my wireless Sound Sports, just wired.  But same exact ear bud shape and same inline volume control.

ill have to look into lifting the volume limiter on my iPad.  I looked but couldn’t find it.  And the way they are right now, I can’t use them on an airplane.  And I fly 4-8 flights per week!

Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Unfortunately the volume limiter is only for the music app and it was turned off anyway. 
I did find a suggestion to turn on Mono Audio (instead of stereo) and that may help.  So I’m going to try it on this flight and see.

Hello Shaneyb72, 

Would you be able to identify these headphones using our Product Finder?

To ensure the Volume Limit is not enabled, on your iPad go to Settings > Music > Scroll down to the bottom of the Music menu to the "Playback" subsection. > Tap "Volume Limit" and adjust the volume slider. 

As you are flying so often, have you thought about using Noise-cancelling headphones? I would not really recommend general sports headphones for this particular activity. They do have noise-masking due to the StayHear+ tips, but the noise from inside an aircraft can most certainly be too much to be blocked. Noise-cancelling headphones would block a high percentage of the surrounding noise and allow you to listen to your media at a suitable level. 

Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Shaneyb72
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

My wired headphones are Sound True Ultra in ear headphones.

Again, the volume limit is for music only and it is off.  But music isn’t where I have issues anyway.

Noise Cancelling headphones would be great.  But I just spent $149 on these and am certainly not going to buy another pair!  I bought these because I loved the Sound Trues so much and these looked similar and fit the same.

i just don’t understand how there can be such a volume discrepancy between these 2.