manoharjj
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

What killed my excitement with the new Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds

Yesterday I got the Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds, which I was eagerly awaiting for months.

I've been testing them thoroughly and unfortunately I have to say, being used to other Bose products, I am a little bit disappointed.

First of all looking at the sound & microphone quality and the comfort of the new ear tips, I am very happy, as one would expect from Bose.

But then when it comes to usability it wasn't exactly what I expected.

Below are my two major thoughts:

- Starting with pairing them with my phone, I have to hold a button on the earbuds case to bring it into pairing mode and then connect it with any device. When I want to change my paired device to my laptop for example, I need to unpair it from my phone and pair it with my laptop and vice versa. Or I can hold the button of the case again, to bring it into pairing mode.

With the Bose SoundSport free wireless headphones I had a button on the earbud itself, which allowed me to either bring it into pairing mode or switch between known devices, which was very convenient for someone working dynamically with different devices

- Next down side were the limited touch controls. Only Bose introduced me with a very futuristic way to control music with the amazing Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. The way to simply swipe forward between songs and to regulate the volume was just amazing. As I am used to the Bose 700, I expected the same from those new earbuds, as they showcase a new generation of touch control headphones. In addition to this missing feature it is also very limited when looking at customizable controls. I can only customize one gesture and only with one of just two predefined states.

I am sincerely hoping that Bose will come up with updates to enhance the experience. At least customizing the earbuds to have the standard of "2tap -> forward"; "3tap -> previous" and maybe the option to switch between bluethooth devices on hold. Of course the option to swipe would be amazing. Otherwise I just experienced some minor synching lags between the earbuds and some ambient noice in the transparency mode, which I am sure, will be fixed in future updates.

11 REPLIES 11
ABM88
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 23, 2017

Re: What killed my excitement with the new Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds

For me, the bluetooth interface alone is a dealbreaker.  They had the most elegant solution for swapping between sources in the SoundSport Free, and three years and $280 later, have reversed into the clumsiest and least usable design imaginable.  I sincerely hope a firmware update brings better functionality.  At the very least, the bluetooth button in the case should function the same way as the button on the left earbud in the SoundSport Free.  Ideally, the solution would be on the earbuds themselves, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose (even for the most expensive product in their class).

LeahA
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Disappointed in new QC Earbuds

I really like Bose's superior noise cancelling so much so that I have two sets of the QuietComfort 20. I was very excited to see Bose come out with the wireless earbud versions where you don't have to bother with a wire or a band around your neck. I'm very disappointed however in the fact that the touch ability on either earbud does not support turning the volume up or down. There is an option in the bose music app to set a "shortcut" which is holding your finger on the left earbud but the only 2 options is to have it tell you the battery percentage or skip forward a track. I was hoping it would be like previous models where you would tap once to pause or play, twice to skip a track and 3 times to go back. I feel these should be given commands especially at the price. The airpods are cheaper and allow you the ability to do all of these things. I may be returning. 

manoharjj
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

I think a lot can be done by enabling users to choose they're mapping of all keys entirely. I mean enabling swiping would totally kill it, but even with the current set of "hold", "double tap", "tripple tap" different on both sides, would give us 6 options to choose from. Swiping might not be possible if they did not include certain technology in the hardware, but the Bose Music App and a good customizable software update should be a deal-winner 😄

RobLW
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Had mine for less than one hour and I couldn’t be more disappointed.

1) Bose are boasting about 11 different levels of active noise cancellation, however you can only get to a maximum of 3 when using touch controls

2) Then when on those 3 settings, I find myself trying to workout/guess if I’m on level 5 or level 10 ANC, so actually what I REALLY want is to have as many favourites as I want! Ideally just the 2, either 0 ANC or 10 ANC thats all I need! I don’t want to guess which level I’m at. 

3) I have absolutely ZERO need for Siri what so ever. It’s the most useless technology invented so why the hell do I want a touch control to use Siri? I don’t!   That touch control needs to be customisable by the user. I want it to be set to control my volume without having to bring my poxy phone out!

4) The ENTIRE primary benefit of going Bluetooth is to reduce the need to be connected/using the phone itself. So why on earth would you FORCE me to have to use the phone to control volume! I cannot believe there is no volume control

5) when I have zero/low ANC enabled, turn off the music I have their terrible static noise. It’s horrible. If I turn on my music again, especially music that might not have big base and loud sounds, I can still hear this horrible hissing behind the music, utterly ruining my listening experience.

6) I cannot believe there isn’t an option to reply the last track (or go back a track) option such as triple tap.

7) The Bluetooth switching between device’s is an absolute joke! 

😎 The last straw for me was that the app is only portrait mode. So when I connect to my iPad Pro which spends 98% of it’s time in landscape mode (like 98% of iPad Pro users) I basically cannot use the app without either turn my head 90% on it’s side, or turning over my entire iPad Pro + magic keyboard just so I can use the useless Bose app.

And so I just returned them. I’m switching to Apple AirPod Pro.   Was an utter mistake thinking Bose knew what they were doing.  Will have to post a YouTube video to make sure no one else makes the same mistake. 

RobLW
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Re: Disappointed in new QC Earbuds

manoharjj
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

@ RobLW

I do agree with your concerns as I am facing the same issues.

But don't be too tight on this right away, as this was just released now. So naturally there will be a gap between our expectations and the product. I think Bose will surely do the necessary software updates and improvement in usage.

The comparison between the Bose Earbuds and the Apple Air Pods pro is actually a good example.

Because the Apple Air Pods pro also don't have any volume control and don't allow easy switching between the devices

The problem with Bose is, that they were able to show us those amazing features in their other products and that is why we expect them to be there, specially looking at the price tag involved.

I would suggest to you, to wait and see what Bose can do with updates (and I am hoping so much, that their current hardware would support swiping tracks and volume, because then it is just a matter of time to have the full package)

Leodis
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

I'm delighted with mine, but would also like the bluetooth switching and volume control to be easier.

Volume I can control on my Apple Watch, but shouldn't need to. Bluetooth switching should be available through touch in my view.

BabaLulu
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Great sound, great ANC and transparency BUUUUT...

There is not PREVIOUS SONG option, just NEXT SONG stuck only on the left bud (long tap); the right one has only PLAY/PAUSE (2 tap)

You can't use just left bud for music or podcats (master/SLAVE??), you have to use the right one too; I mean **bleep**? What if I want to use one for talking and then change to the other one, until the first one charges?

You can, though, use the right one for music, but there is olny the play/pause option, no NEXT or, obviously, PREVIOUS control option...

You also can`t just change from transparency to ANC, you have to go through 3 level FULL/ MEDIUM/ OFF. No one needs 3 level, just full and off; if one would, at least let them have the option to disable one favorite.

TL;DR:

1. change to 1 tap =  play/ pause on BOTH buds

2. 2 taps =  NEXT song

3. 3 taps = PERVIOUS song

4. Long tap =  CUSTOMIZABLE for any function. Default = ANC ON/OFF

5. No MASTER/SLAVE buds. One should be able to use independently each bud.

Eventually 4 taps = Assistant (google, siri etc)??

Very comfy buds, tap controls useful when hands dirty. You can tap with knuckles or back of your hand so well done there.

The lid of the box should ve been magnetic.

Controls development should be fired.

Audi0ph1Le
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

I pre-ordered my QC earbuds the first day they launched. They arrived today. They have no volume control features. It is a huge let down for me. I have loyally bought and used every model of Bose earbuds for the last 13 years, and this is the first model where I can't control the volume or skip back in a playlist. Even when I double-tap the right earbud to try to pause or play a song, it usually opens the assistant instead of pausing and playing. These headphones do sound good, but what is the point of wireless headphones if we can't control the volume? It never even occurred to me to check to see if they had volume controls since I haven't seen headphones without volume controls for sale anywhere since 2008. Even the $1 headphones in the checkout line at the grocery store have volume controls. I feel like I just bought a Ferrari but then found out it doesn't have a gas pedal.