Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 29, 2020

soundsport headphones cause spotify to start playing when i turn them off (mac os el capitan)

i would prefer that they did not.

any tips?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: soundsport headphones cause spotify to start playing when i turn them off (mac os el capitan)

Hey @nhawkes,

What SoundSport headphones do you have? 

Are you referring to Spotify playing out loud on a device when you disconnect your headphones or turn them off? If I'm misunderstood, please let me know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 29, 2020

Re: soundsport headphones cause spotify to start playing when i turn them off (mac os el capitan)

Hi Sam. I believe they're called Bose SoundSport Wireless. They're bluetooth. There's a short cable connecting the two sides. They hang conveniently around the neck when not in use.

You seem to have understood perfectly. If Spotify is open and not playing, turning off my headphones causes it to start playing out loud through my computer speakers (MacBook Pro with OS El Cap). This is not a big deal, but it is mildly annoying to have music suddenly start playing when I didn't ask it to; so I'm hoping to find a way to make this stop happening.

Conversely, if Spotify is playing and I turn off my headphones, Spotify stops. This is actually kind of nice. It would neat to have the latter without the former.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi nhawkes!

Thanks for confirming that for us! It's really strange that you are getting this behavior from your headphones and Mac. Having Spotify stop when you turn off the headphones is something I would expect to happen, having it start playing is not!

Is this something that has been happening with your headphones since you have had them, or has it just started happening recently?

Also, have you noticed this happening with any other audio programs on your Mac or other devices, or does it just happen with Spotify on the Mac?

When you turn them off could you possibly be pressing the Multi-Function button that controls playback as well as the power as this could cause this?

One thing I would definitely recommend doing is clear the pairing between the headphones and your Mac. To do this on the headphones simply press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared."

Then forget the headphones from the Mac's Bluetooth list before re-pairing them.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.