cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhisheksimion
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2016

How does Chromecast work with Soundtouch systems?

I am planning to get this Google Chromecast. Before buying I want to check with community and moderators on how is the sound quality when streaming audio/visual content from phone or laptop. Or is sound better when viewing video on my TV's inbuilt youtube app?

Currently my Bose Soundtouch 130 system has 2 input sources. First 1 is from TV HDMI(ARC) and another for cable\dish connection.

Please help me in knowing is it worth buying chromecast for both audio & video streaming to go with Bose quality.

16 REPLIES 16
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: How does Chromecast work with Soundtouch systems?

Hey abhisheksimion,

Thanks for the question.  Anything you stream from the Chromecast is going to be of the same quality as if you were streaming it from the apps on your television.  If it sways your decision any, I personally have a Chromecast in my living room with my Bose V25 system.  Worth every single penny I paid for it.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Brandon

abhisheksimion
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2016

Thankyou Brandon for your suggestion. It really matters when we get suggestions from Bose gurus for their personal experiences. 

Your suggestion has allowed me to go for chromecast.

LKTunez
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2015

Even though it sounds like you've made your decision to get a Chromecast, I thought I'd add a reply for anyone else wondering. For some time I've been trying to figure out how to get my SoundTouch 30 to integrate with a whole-house (4 zone) system I have completely unrelated to Bose. The Chromecast Audio is the answer! I recently learned that if you have more than one of these devices the Google Home app allows you to "group" them and then cast to the group. I now have two of these, one plugged into the 4 zone system and the other into the SoundTouch. Now all I have to do is select the Group from the casting device list and I have the same music in all rooms. Of course, I can still have up to 5 different sources throughout the house if I wanted to (can't imagine why, but it's possible). The Chromecast Audio is a distinct device from the regular Chromecast for video. Each also costs $35, which is pretty affordable and through sales, rewards, etc. I actually bought mine for $25 each. I don't work for Google and am not being comp'd for this, just figure there might be one or two other geeks out there that could enjoy this info 🙂
abhisheksimion
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2016

Hi Brandon

So I got a Google chromecast which I connected to Bose console (DVD hdmi slot). Is there a way that Bose automatically switches to DVD mode or whichever hdmi port has attached chromecast? Currently I need to manually change the mode to view cast content on TV.

Princeau99
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Hello  LKTunez ,

I looked at Chromecast audio last year and have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a way torebroadcast the output from a TV?

2. Several stations on some services did not work. One example is KGO from iheart (can't think of others off the top of my head) Always came up with "Unknown error"

Has this been fixed?

Thank for any updated info.

Rich

LKTunez
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2015

Hey Rich,

Not sure I can answer your questions with any authority since I haven’t tried either of those things.  Regarding the TV output, I’m sure there is a way to do this, but one CC Audio would probably have to be connected to the TV and the speaker you want to hear the sound from.  If that’s not possible, you’d need at least two CC Audio devices one hooked to the TV and one to the speaker you want to listen to, then group the two devices in the Google Home app and select that group name when you cast.

I can’t understand why some stations wouldn’t work if you had a CC Audio connected to the Soundtouch.  All these things do is receive/repeat the signal sent to them by the casting device.  I have had occasional trouble with one station on the ST itself, but I don’t attribute that to the CC Audio.  For whatever reason, there are occasions that one local station simply doesn’t work on the ST, despite everything else being ok.

In general, the CC audio is a great way to get whole house sound as long as you use the number of CC Audio devices needed to connect different speaker systems and use the Group feature in the Home app.

At this point, I should be getting a check from Google!  😊

Good luck

Princeau99
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Hi again LKTunez 

I looked around at a few Google web sites and it seems there still is no way to cast the output of a TV to the other devices (it has no inputs, only outputs) Bummer, one site suggested Sonos and another to use an FM transmitter ( I am trying to get away from this)

Also the problems of some stations were the format from the server may not be compatible with chromecast. So some services like iheart and Tunein were not able to cast all programs that could be played on local computer. When the station was selected from the app,it would generate a "unknown chromecast error"

When I contacted Iheart customer service it seems that one of the companies that merged with them were not in a format compatible with chromecast. (If I recall it involved the division that was originally clearwater or clear channel (about one third of the iheart channels))

Just hoping that changes, otherwise will have to wait until Bose enables rebroadcasting from AUX in.

LKTunez
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2015

sounds like you learned much more than I knew/guessed.  The TV issue makes sense, didn't know that there were formats that CC wouldn't stream, so far I haven't come across anything I couldn't.  Not sure if that is because I'm mostly streaming from a Google Pixel phone...Anyway, one of my presets suddenly stopped working, so I'm trying to see what needs to be done about that!

Barleby
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2016

I have a Chromecast and a SoundTouch 120 and had no problem at all with them.

I usually stream video from my MacBook Pro Laptop (via VideoStream Chrome exension) to the Chromecast.

My first settings included connecting the Chromecast via HDMI directly to my TV HDMI. Then the TV sent the sound to the Bose system. BUT, I realized this had an issue (at least with my old Samsung TV). My streamed movies were in 5.1 and the Samsung TV internally converted the sound to 2.1 and then sent this 2.1 to Bose. I fixed this plugging the Chromecast straight to the Bose HDMI. This way Bose correctly plays the 5.1 channels. Another HDMI connects TV with Bose (for the video).

As mentioned, everything works like a charm.

Just one thing regarding Chromecast. My device produces many interferences with the DVB TV Channels (called TDT in Spain). This is due to my Samsung TV model (don't know why). Same Chromcast in another TV model (even a Samsung one, but different from the one I own) produces NO interferences at all.

Hope it helps