beatlesdbp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

How should I set my Bose Acoustimass Speakers when connected to my Pioneer Receiver

After looking at the manual for my Acoustimass 6 speakers, it says the following:

Left and Right front= LARGE

Center= SMALL

Left and Right Surround+ LARGE

Subwoofer= OFF

Crossover=200hz

Since I bought these speakers and they come with a subwoofer, why would I set the subwoofer as OFF? is the above the correct settings or what should they be instead?

5 REPLIES 5
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: How should I set my Bose Acoustimass Speakers when connected to my Pioneer Receiver

Because you don't have an actual subwoofer plugged into your receiver's subwoofer jack.  The Bose Acoustimass in not really a subwoofer, it's a speaker that carries the mid-lows that your cubes can't carry.

If you want really low frequencies that shake the house, you need to purchase an actual subwoofer that plugs into your receiver subwoofer jack and carries the very low frequencies.

beatlesdbp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

Re: How should I set my Bose Acoustimass Speakers when connected to my Pioneer Receiver

So then should I set everything to large except the center small with the subwoofer NO and crossover at 200hz? Or I saw on another forum they said to set them all to large with the sub YES and set the crossover to 80 or less? Which is better?
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I have no idea.  I would follow the instructions to start.  Then, maybe try some different settings to see which works best for you.

Hello beatlesdbp,

According to the specifications, your settings should be as follows:

• Front L/R: "Large"
  • Center: "Small"
  • Rear L/R: "Large"
  • Subwoofer: "Off"

Crossover frequency: 200 Hz

The other settings you previously referenced are likely for a speaker package with different specifications. You may find that some experimentation with the crossover frequency will get you a result more to your liking, however we list the setting that is ideal with regard to your speaker's performance in most cases.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted

Hello Truett,

Thank you for posting.

For the Acoustimass 5 III Speakers, you are correct, the amp you get to work with them will need to have 10-200 W per channel, 4-8 ohms impedance. So any amplifier that can meet those requirements should work with the system.

I hope this helps

Keith_L  - Community Support -