Issues with Bose email delivery

Highlighted
RdE
Audible Advocate

Issues with Bose email delivery

I started to just let this go, but decided to post this in case anyone at Bose cares to pass this info on to their technical team responsible for their outbound email system.

I purchased a Hearphone set several days ago. Since then, Bose email server has been trying every hour, 24x7, to deliver email to my email server. And all emails are being rejected. This is because on my Fedora 25 LINUX Postfix MTA server I have rules implemented that prevent email being delivered from sources which do not present an initial HELO command when they first try to connect with a domain name that can be resolved, i.e. it is registered with DNS name resolution.

The emails from BOSE are coming a server named usvaeccpdb1.bose.com. If one does a traceroute on this name, it is not found, as no DNS entry for it exists on the Internet. A traceroute of bose.com works, of course, as that name is registered.

In order to control inbound spam email, many email services us a rule that rejects any inbound email in which the HELO command hostname does not resolve. I could remove that rule from my postfix config file, but then I would be inundated with dozens of illegitmate emails from spammers who blast their stuff out without a valid hostname in the HELO command.

I am not willing to do this just because  Bose computer tech has not configured their outbound email system with correctly configured hostname with a DNS entry. Such an entry would cost them a couple of bucks with whoever their DNS provider is. If this service is outsourced, than the entity doing Bose email needs to fix this.

As I said, I could have just let this go. FWIW, I had to return the Hearphones, they would not work as I hoped for the purpose I needed them. When I called, I had to give the RMA staff I spoke to a different address on my university account, whch I prefer not to use for personal business, and fortunately, it got through the university's spam filters so I can return the product.

But I was hoping someone at Bose reading this would pass this on. I just don't understand why literally a few bucks cannot be spent on a DNS entry, so spam blocking filters on email servers don't reject incoming Bose email.

I even researched how to whitelist the Bose domain name in question, but even adding the HELO access file and compiling it and restarting the service did not succeed in overriding the missive in my Postfix main.cf, reject_unknown_helo_hostname.

Here is what the logs look like, in case anyone wants to see it in the email tech department.

Sep 30 14:11:42 mail postfix/smtpd[14207]: connect from unknown[139.68.200.1]
Sep 30 14:11:43 mail postfix/smtpd[14207]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[139.68.200.1]: 450 4.1.8 <ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com> to=<myaddress@mydomain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>
Sep 30 14:11:44 mail postfix/smtpd[14207]: disconnect from unknown[139.68.200.1] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=6/8
Sep 30 14:18:54 mail postfix/anvil[14209]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (smtp:139.68.200.1) at Sep 30 14:11:42
Sep 30 14:18:54 mail postfix/anvil[14209]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (smtp:139.68.200.1) at Sep 30 14:11:42

11 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Issues with Bose email delivery

Hi @RdE,

Thank you for taking the time to document this issue with the mail server configuration. I will send this through to our web team.

ST

Hi RdE,

I just received word back that this has been resolved. Thank you very much for reporting it to us! 

Kind Regards

RdE
Audible Advocate

FWIW, a followup on the email issue. Last night I got a couple of emails advertising products from Bose to the email address that could not be reached before. I looged in the maillog on my server, and indeed the hostname being sent from has been changed, and is not apparently properly registered with DNS, because the two emails came through with no problem, no rejedction.

Hmmm.  Now where do I send my consulting fee to Bose for recompense for my helping fix this problem. Smiley Happy

RdE
Audible Advocate

I should finish Saturday morning wakeup before I post. There are two typos in what I just posted, both of course in critical locations. If you see NOT, think NOW. Hmmm. Need more coffee.

FWIW, although the Hear Phones did not work out, we do have a classic Bose radio / CD and LOVE IT.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good Morning RdE !

We're grateful for your help.

You can edit your previous post. Look at the top right corner of your post for three vertical dots 

Click the and you will see a menu that includes Edit Reply.

Thanks again for your help with the email issue.

ST

Quiet Contributor

FYI this doesn't appear to have been resolved permanently, because I too haven't been able to receive bose.com e-mail (in this case probably a UPS tracking number, too) because of this:

Sender domain not found
1 P ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com 10:03:15 unknown[139.68.200.1] usvaeccpdb1.bose.com

DNS resolution is pretty much the most fundamental way to weed out bad SMTP servers so there's probably a very high percentage of your customers who never receive your e-mails.

@vphantom Thanks for your update! I'll send this info over to our email team to investigate. 

Mohsin

RdE
Audible Advocate

FWIW, I went back and checked my logs from first week of month, when my server was rejecting bose email. Below are snippets from those logs, and last weeks, when I got an ad from bose to the same address that had been rejected. In the later case, the server name has changed, and it does do a DNS lookup successfully. So I got the advertising email.

The question for your tech team is, are they sending email from two sources, i.e. is the earlier host name in the first snippet quoted below still in use?? Or is all email migrating to the second more recent snippet, in which the hostname does resolve?

This dialog uses usvaeccpdb1.bose.com, which was not registered hostname.

Oct  2 14:22:44 mail postfix/smtpd[19207]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[139.68.200.1]: 450 4.1.8 <ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com> to=<myaddress@myserver.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>
Oct  2 14:40:34 mail postfix/smtpd[19351]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[139.68.200.1]: 450 4.1.8 <ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com> to=<myaddress@myserver.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<usvaeccpdb1.bose.com>

This more recent snipped works, mta.em.bose.com is registered with a DNS entry, so my server let it through:

[root@mail: /srv/firewalld_doc]# grep "bose" /var/log/maillog-20171022
Oct 20 17:30:16 mail postfix/smtpd[11597]: connect from mta.em.bose.com[68.232.199.197]
Oct 20 17:30:17 mail postfix/smtpd[11597]: 3858B1827C32: client=mta.em.bose.com[68.232.199.197]
Oct 20 17:30:17 mail postfix/qmgr[26566]: 3858B1827C32: from=<bounce-57209_HTML-1134318285-9446716-1056644-2672@bounce.em.bose.com>, size=89561, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 20 17:30:17 mail postfix/qmgr[26566]: D02551813B32: from=<bounce-57209_HTML-1134318285-9446716-1056644-2672@bounce.em.bose.com>, size=89708, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 20 17:30:17 mail postfix/smtpd[11597]: disconnect from mta.em.bose.com[68.232.199.197] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=1 data=1 quit=1 commands=7

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vphantom

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about the email issue.

Can you tell us the date and time when you got the diagnostic message 

Sender domain not found

1 P ecpadm@usvaeccpdb1.bose.com 10:03:15 unknown[139.68.200.1] usvaeccpdb1.bose.com

We made some changes yesterday and we're trying to determine if your experience predates the changes.

Thank you,

ST

@vphantom wrote:

FYI this doesn't appear to have been resolved permanently, because I too haven't been able to receive bose.com e-mail (in this case probably a UPS tracking number, too) because of this:

Sender domain not found

DNS resolution is pretty much the most fundamental way to weed out bad SMTP servers so there's probably a very high percentage of your customers who never receive your e-mails.