ElseJon
Participant
Registered since

Mar 21, 2016

Re: "Reference Tracks" when listening to new systems

Got a few depending on the mood. Tell me what you guys think of the songs.

Get Hyped/Gym Workout

These few songs are very basey with some build up then the base kicks in. Very good for interval training in the gym. It's also good for getting in the mood for a night out! Smiley Very Happy

• Afterglow by Wilkinson
  • Waiting by Oliver Heldens
  • How Love Begins by DJ Fresh & High Contrast

Calming Down

These songs are quite the opposite with tunes to relax while traveling or to get away from it all. With slower bpms and fewer instruments I think they're lovely for calming down after a long days work. Smiley Happy

• Memories That You Call by ODESZA
  • La La La (Pale Remix) by Naughty Boy feat Sam Smith
  • I Took A Pill In Ibiza by Grace Gundy

P.S Brandon, in advance, please don't ban me Smiley Wink

• Not a big fan of Radiohead or the song, sorry.
  • Can definitely see a theme emerging from the second *cough* rock *cough*
  • Out of the three, this is the better one for me. I can see myself listening to this on my relaxing playlists.

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Dave Brubeck- Take Five- The Drums are right there in the room with you- piano too!

Pink Floyd- Welcome to the Machine- the throbbing synthesizer is beyond words

Pink Floyd- Echoes- synthesized sea gulls are too much!

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@heatman5 wrote:

Dave Brubeck- Take Five- The Drums are right there in the room with you- piano too!

I attended an audio tech show last fall. This was the piece I used when listening to all the products....Nice!

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Wide Mouth Mason's live coverage of Stevie Wonder's Superstition.

Quite a bit different genre than I usually listen to. I have heard this title streamed from a local rock station, on a SoundTouch 20, a couple times. The bass guitar segment fills the shop with deep low tone. Seems to highlight that warm Bose sound that I like so much. 

Can't seem to find this version on Apple Music. I have played it from YouTube. Sounds really good.

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

The Red Hot Chili Peppers rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" from their 4th album "Mother's Milk". The drums at the end sound totally punk and very very cool. This one song alone made me a Peppers fan.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

@rickatk I'm trying to find that version of Superstition but all I can find is a bad 360p quality youtube video.  It's not on Spotify or Deezer either.  I can't believe I've never heard of Wide Mouth Mason before; they're right up my alley!  I'm going to visit family this weekend and it's a 12 hour round trip drive, I know what I'll be listening to on my way there 😄

@heatman5 Dave Brubeck and Pink Floyd are just amazing.  When I first listened to Dark Side of the Moon through a pair of our Noise Cancelling headphones (shameless plug) for the first time, I couldn't believe all of the new notes and sounds I heard. 

@ElseJon Great tracks!  Right next to my heavy metal playlists I have an ODESZA playlist and their NO.SLEEP COLLECTION.  And no hate for disagreeing with me 😛  The greatest part about music is that everybody has a slightly different preference on what they think is the best.

I'll post a few more tracks that I really like that I think really make some of our systems shine:

Theme From 'Behind the Curtain' by Skalpel - As soon as that first pluck of the double bass comes through the speakers, I immediately get chills.

Letter To [...] by Hjaltalín - Smooth and low bass, male vocals, and a small string section really sound excellent.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Brandon_M wrote:

@rickatk I'm trying to find that version of Superstition but all I can find is a bad 360p quality youtube video.  It's not on Spotify or Deezer either.  I can't believe I've never heard of Wide Mouth Mason before; they're right up my alley!  I'm going to visit family this weekend and it's a 12 hour round trip drive, I know what I'll be listening to on my way there 😄

Hi Brandon:

Appears the youtube version is the only online version around right now. The song does get some air play on our local rock station in Victoria. I made a request on the WMM web site, no response yet.

This Canadian group has made a few albums over the years and are available on Apple Music, expect "Superstition" which has been proven to be an elusive title. They had one hit years back,  "Change" which sounds a little bit different that their usual stuff. 

Thanks for starting this this forum topic...lots of fun. There have been some exceptional titles quoted!

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Brandon_M wrote:

Hi Brandon:

I did a little more checking, this is what the crew at the MWM web site said:

>No CD recordings or official digital releases of Wide Mouth Mason's "Superstition" cover exist at this point. Fan-recorded versions of the band's performance of the song during gigs can often be found on the internet with some of those recordings sometimes making their way to radio play in some way. The song does sometimes make its way onto a setlist, depending on the show. Feel free to post the song request on the band's Facebook page, it might just put the song back into their active setlists!

Kat
Chef de mission, Wide Mouth Mason

Geiri
Participant
Registered since

Aug 19, 2015

Achilles agony and ecstasy in eight parts and Master of the wind by Manowar
aditya
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017