Bose AR Announcement

Community Manager

bose_ar_horizontal_on_white.png

Today Bose will be revealing Bose AAR (Audio Augmented Reality also referred to as “AR”) in more detail at the South by Southwest (SXSW) 2019 conference in Austin, Texas, United States. 

Specifically, Bose will announce and demo AR experiences that were created by select 3rd party App Developers & Creators that have built unique experiences for our AR-enabled products. With the Beta availability of new experiences, there are two AR-enabled products, one is QC35 II and the other is Bose Frames.  Below are some FAQ’s:

What is Bose AR? 

Bose AR is a first-of-its-kind audio augmented reality platform, combining the power of next-gen Bose audio products with innovative mobile apps. Together, they can create astonishing real-world experiences and fundamentally new ways to travel, exercise, learn, play, and more. Meanwhile, you can go through life heads up, hands-free, and ears amazed.  

How is Bose AR different from other kinds of AR? 

Unlike traditional AR, which overlays virtual images onto the physical world, and audio AR, which does the same thing, except with sounds instead of images, Bose AR goes several steps further. Motion sensors embedded inside Bose AR-enabled products (like Bose Frames or QC35 headphones II) work together with your phone. Using information like your location, your head gestures, and the direction you’re looking, Bose AR-enhanced apps create audio experiences in the world around you—while you keep your phone in your pocket. 

BOSE AR-ENABLED PRODUCTS  

What Bose products are compatible with Bose AR? 

All Bose Frames, and select Bose Quiet Comfort 35 wireless headphones II manufactured after October 22, 2018, and Bose Custom Quiet Comfort 35 wireless headphones II manufactured after March 1, 2019 can be Bose AR-enabled with a firmware update available via the Bose Connect app and the BTU.Bose.com updater site, see here  - Frames Update, QC35II Update Additionally, the QC35 II’s that are Bose AR enabled can be identified via the serial number that ends in “AZ”.

How do I know if my product is Bose AR-enabled? 

Please note: Android experiences will be available in the future, for now the apps are for iOS only. 

For iPhone and iPad userswhen you open the Bose Connect app, a Bose AR logo will be displayed whenever it detects a Bose AR product is paired. NoteBose Connect version 8.0 or later is required. See image below for what this looks like in the Connect app.  

Bose Connect Photo Shadow.JPG

How do I use my product with a Bose AR experience? 

All Bose AR-enabled products offer innovative ways to interact with your product or your mobile device. For example, you might use a double tap gesture during a Bose AR experience to respond to instructions or request information. In addition, Bose AR offers additional ways to interact through natural, multimodal gestures—for example, nodding or shaking your head in response to a question or offer. 

How does Bose AR work?  

Sensors in Bose AR-equipped products send information wirelessly by Bluetooth to a paired iOS or Android (Android apps will come at a later date) device running an app enhanced with our SDK (or Unity plugin). A Bose AR-enhanced app running on the mobile device receives this information and uses it along with other information coming from the phone (GPS, for example) to generate audio that’s sent back by Bluetooth to the AR product.  

As an example, sensors built into the product can detect which direction someone is facing and send that information to the app running on the mobile device. The app would then use the head direction combined with GPS information, from the mobile device, to request and send audio information appropriate for the direction the person is looking.  

Similarly, sensors enable new user interface control, where a quick nod of the head “yes” can be detected by the built-in sensors and sent to the app, which indicates to the app that the person is saying yes to the offer of more information.  

It is the combination of sensors embedded in the wearable device (together with a mobile device’s existing sensors like GPS) that the app maker uses to generate audio information that augments and is superimposed on the user’s real world.  

BOSE AR-ENHANCED APPS 

How can I access Bose AR Beta experiences? 

Please note: Android experiences will be available in the future, for now the apps are for iOS only. 

For iPhone and iPad users with a Bose AR-enabled product, the first step is to open the Bose Connect app and confirm your product’s firmware is up-to-date. NoteBose Connect version 8.0 or later is required. After that, you can access a showcase of Bose AR-enhanced apps with links to download them. To access the showcase just tap the Bose AR logo in the connect app 

What Bose AR-enhanced apps are available? 

Many Bose AR-enhanced apps—including apps for Android users—are currently in development. The apps listed at www.bose.com/AR are available now in Beta for iPhone and iPad users globally, except in China. (In English only. We’re working to translate content into additional languages.) 

How does a third-party developer, creator or partner that wants to work with Bose get started? 

For developers interested in Bose AR, we offer getting started guides, FAQs, forums, and additional support, along with a calendar of events like conferences, meetups, workshops, and code jams. We’ve also released the Bose SDK beta version, a lightweight development kit for head-tracking, accelerometer, and compass access in Bose wearable audio products. For more information, visit developer.bose.com and follow http://twitter.com/BoseDevs 

For more information about Bose AR please visit: www.bose.com/AR

DURING BOSE AR BETA

Feedback is Welcome

Developers and creators making new experiences available on Bose AR are considered in Beta. Together with the teams at Bose behind Bose AR, they are welcoming feedback from Bose wearable users to help us identify where new features, fixes or fun can be added. Comments are open below and your feedback, suggestions & ideas for new features, or simply to point out where you think the experience can improve.

Forthcoming Improvements

We’ll continue to improve any issues that may arise during the beta Launch of Bose AR-enabled wearables and/or available apps. Workarounds and updates for potential issues specific to the AR-enabled products will be communicated as they come up.

23 Comments
Quiet Contributor
Why is Bose Quiet Comfort 35 wireless headphones II manufactured before October 22, 2018 not compatible with Bose AR? If there is a difference in Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II manufactured before and after October 22, 2018, they shouldn't be called the same then.

Hi 90mllu, thanks for your post and thank you for your interest in the AR functionality of QC35II, if you do not have a unit with AZ at the end of the serial # it cannot be updated to get AR functionality. We would recommend you contact the customer service team in your region here https://global.bose.com/en_us/index.html to see if we have any options available.

Kind Regards

Hector_B Community Support

Quiet Contributor
Hi Hector_B Thanks for your quick reply but it doesn't answer my question. Also your link does not work. Best regards
Silent Starter

Hi Hector_B,

My QC35II serial number ends with AZ but their Manufacturing date is Sept 17th. I am not sure if they are AR enabled or not. That being said Connect App shows the AR Logo but when I connect with RADAR app none of the AR functionality works. Now I am not sure if my device has AR or not. Its sad to see that my new head phone doesn't have all the feature of a new head phone.

Thanks,

Malavya

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 11.55.57 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 11.56.55 AM.jpeg

Hello Malavya,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Bose Community.

I believe that your headset is indeed functional with AR. When you go through the setup process of AR in the Bose Connect App, you will find a list of compatible AR applications. Could you try a different application? This will allow us to establish if there is a problem with the app, or with the actual headset. 

It may also be worth deleting the RADAR app and re-installing it.

Give this a go and get back to me, I will be more than happy to assist you further if your problem still persists.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Silent Starter

When will the Android App support AR for QC35 ii?

By the way, there are way more Android devices than iOS, I do not understand why you start with iOS!!

Hello obahy,

Thanks for posting in the community, there is no official statement on this matter, however, there is a reason iOS is developed before Android in most cases within any company. It is because iOS is made by one company and one manufacturer, meaning it is much easier to develop. On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of different Androids made by different companies and manufacturers making the development process much more complex because of the sheer variety of devices.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

kindest regards,

Zoe_C 

Quiet Contributor

Hello Charlotte,

I’m experiencing the same exact situation as described above by Malavya.

Headset firmware 4.3.6

Serial No **********AZ

Production Date November the 9th 2018

Bose Connect app version 8.0.0

Bose Radar app version 1.0.3

...and there is no sign of any AR functionality!

Basic test I’ve done is to launch the Radar app and try to follow the "How to Interact" guide: nothing happens when I try to double tab, turn my head, etc 

I can see on some videos that a green checkmark should appear when the headset recognizes a given input (double tap, etc) on the Radar "How to Interact" screens, but again nothing happens here...

It’s worth noting that I’m writing from the EU, while the before mentioned videos all come from the US. 

So, is the AR functionality still to be released outside of the US, or is there something wrong with my headset?

thanks

Hi Deepblue175, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

I would recommend checking out this article here for more information on Bose AR. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

Thank you for your fast answer, Hector, but I read this article already (as well as others from Bose) before to write my post and there is nothing valuable there to explain the behavior of my headphones in regards to AR.

As I wrote, my Serial No ends with AZ and the software/firmware recommended in the article are the ones I have listed before.

So?

thanks

Hi Deepblue175, 

Thanks for posting. Can you see the AR icon on the Bose Connect App when they are paired to your device? 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

Yes Hector, sure.

I was mentioning the experience of the user Malavya because I can see exactly the same info he/she posted before (I don’t attach my screenshots just because they’d look pretty much identical).

So yes, I can see the AR icon on Bose Connect app when paired with my headphones.

Thanks

Hi Deepblue175, 

Thanks for clarifying this for me. 

I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

Thanks again, Hector, but I reached this support site after having an - at minimum - vague answer from the local support you’re addressing me to.

They told me (more or less): “your headset looks fully compliant with AR functionality, the reason why you cannot use it it’s because it is on its early stage and only works in the US.”

While this is hard to believe from a technical standpoint (same app software/device firmware release all over the world, basic bluetooth connection between app and headset: how this can be “location restricted”?), I can live with it and wait for a rollout in my Country (?!?), but please be transparent with your loyal Customers and provide a clear statement here.

Hi deepblue175,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations.

May I ask where in the EU you are located and whether you downloaded the RADAR app from your official app store?

Although the app is available and has the same firmware versions, AR may not been ready to implement in your region.

Have you tested any other of the other compatible AR apps?

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Charlotte,

thanks for your involvement.

I’m based in Italy and I downloaded Radar app from Apple Store.

To fully answer to your question, no, I just tried your own app - Radar - assuming that an app developed directly from Bose ...must work with a Bose product.

Thank you for confirming that. 

We have a list of compatible Bose AR apps here that you could try: https://bosearapps.bose.com/

Also, you may be able to find some AR apps released in Italy that could potentially be compatible until the official global release of the Bose RADAR and other recommended apps.

Have a great day!

Charlotte G 

Quiet Contributor

Ok Charlotte, thanks for clarifying.

We all now have an official statement: Bose own AR app - Radar - is NOT YET officially released globally, so that it may or may not work in specific Countries. And of course is safe to say that if your own app doesn’t work (yet and here) as advertised, no one else is supposed to.

Having understood that, a list of Countries where it’s currently working - together with a rollout plan - could be useful for your Customers and avoid misinterpretation of your marketing informations.

The rest of us living outside of US (or who knows where else) will patiently wait for this new functionality to land.

thanks

Quiet Contributor

Some please recommend which product I should pick among the ones listed on this site.

https://bestcomputerformusicproduction.website/best-sennheiser-headphones/

Friendly Fanatic

well if u want a Sennheiser headphone you should search using youtube which to buy not asking  the bose community

to Flynn2019

Quiet Contributor

I had the same issue as well when the headphones were connected to my iphone and macbook. I removed the macbook from Bose Connect app and then the Radar Interactions were working as mentioned.. I tried it multiple times, but only worked if headphones is connected to iPhone only.  

Quiet Contributor

...uhhmmmm... sound interesting!

I never tried my QC35 II connected just with my iPhone! I always stays with iPhone AND iPad connected simultaneously!

Thanks for the heads up balabp, I’ll give your tip a try and post results.

Thanks

Quiet Contributor

...AND THE WINNER IS... BALABP!!!  :-)

Yes, I did my homeworks: disconnected my iPad from Bose Connect app (leaving just my iPhone connected), went through the "How to Iteract" process in Bose Radar app and NOW everything works as it should!

The Bose Radar app recognizes the various interactions (double tap, head movements, etc.) just fine and the audio samples you can download within the app now give the "AR" experience Bose is claiming!

Thanks again, balabp!

Just a side note: how difficult could it be for Bose itself to guide their customers in order to enjoy their own product? Just a basic "how to" within the app or at least a proper response in this forum could have helped a lot!