Learn About Amazon Alexa + Bose Connected Home Speakers

Community Manager

Connected Home + Alexa.jpeg

Bose is excited to partner with Amazon to bring new, valuable experiences to our smart speakers and soundbars customers.

With Alexa built into your Bose Home Speaker 500, Bose Soundbar 500, and Bose Soundbar 700, just ask and you can play music, check the weather, hear the news, control Alexa-compatible smart-home devices, and so much more. Bose smart speakers and soundbars with Alexa are the result of a shared goal between Bose and Amazon to create a more natural, convenient listening experience for customers.

Common commands/utterances:

“Alexa, play some indie music” or “Alexa, play Ed Sheeran”

• With Alexa, you can play and control music with your voice. Just ask for your favorite genre, artist, Internet radio station, podcast, or playlist.

“Alexa, turn it up” or “Alexa, next track”

• With Alexa, you can control your music with your voice — even if you start the music over a Bluetooth® connection or with the Bose Music app. And music started by Alexa can also be controlled by the Bose Music app or the buttons on the speaker or the soundbar remote.

“Alexa, do I need an umbrella today?” or “Alexa, what’s the weather?”

• Ask about local, national, and international weather.

“Alexa, set a timer for 10 minutes” or “Alexa, wake me up at 7 am”

• Alexa can wake you up or let you snooze. You can also ask Alexa to set timers so you don’t have to keep looking at your phone.

“Alexa, tell me a joke” or “Alexa, play ‘Jeopardy’”

• Alexa is ready to lighten the mood or help you host a game night. Just ask.

“Alexa, what’s the news?”

• Keep up with the news while you’re cooking dinner. Just ask Alexa for the news, and you’ll get a read out on the hot topics.

“Alexa, add olive oil to my shopping list” or “Alexa, order dog food”

• Your day gets easier with Alexa helping you keep track of little things. Just ask Alexa to add items to a shopping list. Or, you can order directly from Amazon as soon as you think of it.

“Alexa, turn on the lights in the kitchen”

Alexa lets you control smart-home devices like lights, thermostats, and more.

“Alexa, ask Domino’s to order me a pizza” or “Alexa, get me an Uber”

You can enable custom Alexa skills within the Alexa app, which gives you access to some of your favorite services.

“Alexa, what can you do?”

Want to see what else Alexa can do? Just ask Alexa to see how she can help.

NOTE: More functionality coming soon for Bose smart soundbars.

24 Comments
Friendly Fanatic

Can we able to integrate Bose Home Speaker 500 with existing ST300 Bar? because it would be expensive to go for ST500 or ST700 after having ST300.

Friendly Fanatic

Sadly this question was already answered elsewhere in this forum where it was stated that the new home products do not interact with the soundtouch products despite their similar characteristics.

This leaves the following options:

1. Get the Home Speaker 500 but use it separate from the ST300.

2. Get the Speaker 500 and also a Soundbar 700 - but again they won't talk with the ST300 appearently. If you do not need surround sound decoding then Soundbar 500.

3. Get a Soundtouch 30 instead of Home Speaker 500 - this should sound better but you lose the colour display and the built in Alexa but you could also get an Amazon Echo of course.

I notice that the it seems the inside of the Soundbar 700 and ST300 at almost the same - the only differences are ports being moved to the back of the unit in the Soundbar 300,removal of the HDMI in port. Obviously I would choose option 3 - for those without any existing Soundtouch devices the choice is obvious 1 or 2.

The question is simple - how much do you need Alexa?

Hello David Moore,

Thank you for the help in the community!

This is always appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Thank you David for clarifying, and really sorry it was my oversite could not able to search the older posts, i just joined last week, still exploring the site.

Disappointing solution from Bose, felt the latest releases should be integrable/interoparable with ST300 set. Now they have released new generation speakerset(st500 and st700 etc), and not sure what they are going to do once they are ready with Dolby Atmos technology, another new generation?
We already made investment for ST300(Bar, AM, and Sourround), can't really go for new generation as it is totally re-investment.

Not sure how many of the consumers would appreciate frequent changes/replacements.

Last wholeweek we did a campaign to lot of schools and colleges to avoid replacement of electronics/plastics(unless not able to survive), in the process of making public to eco friendly. Educational institutes and leaders are trying to change the world.

"how much do you need Alexa?": Definetly we need to have some thing with A&I(Artificial Intelligence), May not be specific to Amazon A&I.
We usually listen to all the leadership speaches (All presidents, CEOs and latest news headlines) and time is not sufficient to watch on TV, those are really important to understand the vision, their wisdom that will tigger our leadership thought process. so while at home during excercise time, dinner time, tea time we can listen to all these good stuff, and kids ask so many difficult words while reading their books(for english meaning) and i need to open dictonary to answer. - So all these possible with our single voice call to invisible A&I assistent. thank you again David

Audible Advocate

A real pity that Bose went with the "clean break" approach.

Whilst I understand that sometimes the only way forward requires leaving the old products behind, it's a pity that Bose chose to do this at a point where competition is so intense.

As a brand, the last thing you want to do is to provide an inflection point where your customers pause to re-evaluate whether they want to continue doing business with you. 

In making a clean break, you have removed any reason, beyond pure loyalty, for staying with your brand. I fear that competing on price and features alone is a disadvantage to Bose, compared to newer more agile brands.

Time will tell, but certainly for myself I will pause to evaluate all of the offerings before going with Bose.

Mark. 

Audible Advocate

Will there be an option to WiFi link the soundtouch with the new home offerings thus allowing all of those products to be used together as a multi speaker setup?

Hi philipoclarke,

Thank you for the question.

The new Smart Home products and SoundTouch will not be integrated together through their applications or Alexa.

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Dear Joel 

thank you for providing right and transparent information.

Could you please let's know whether "Bose" business intension is to be Eco friendly and protect its valuable customer base?

1). We are left with only one option by throwing/scrapping the existing Bose products and buying new smartline - which could be quiet expensive (if i summarising cost of outgoing products for all customers)  and creating electronic/plastic waste 

OR

2). Bose finds a technical solution to establish integration between Soundtouch-line to Smart-line by WI-FI/BlueTooth Sync.

This way, your customerbase also appreciates Friendly nature of company 'Bose' and start buying the newline(those who already have Soundtouch products)

There by we reduce Electronic/Plastic waste and help our new generations

Please forgive me (and we dont require your response) incase if I question Business policy, but an urge as a customer for last 20 Years. 

Audible Advocate
Hello,i apologise if i repeat questions but i couldn't find answer . Can we change Alexa wake up word on Soundbar 500(Echo,computer,Amazon..) and second questions -is it possible to turn off Alexa wake sound ? Thank you in advance.

Hi player

Thanks for the question!  

I'll have to reach out to our development team, but I'll be sure to update the Community as soon as I hear anything!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Hi player

The development team has reached back out to me, and it appears you can not change the wake word for the new Smart Home speaker family.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Audible Advocate
Thank you very much Tony .
NRC
Quiet Contributor
Anybody interested in Webinar of New Bose speaker family (Bose 500 smart speaker, Bose soundbar 500, Bose soundbar 700) https://youtu.be/Q5KZvGPG3T4
Quiet Contributor

Can we please add Apple to the Bose music app. the #1 music streaming app. Why would nose only limit you to Spotify. It’s frustrating 

Hello Mikmescudi,

Thank you for the request. I will pass this along to development for you.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Wistful Whisperer

Hi did anyone  use android app to setup the soundbar 700, bass module  700 and home 500 it seen like there is some problems. But when I use apple os app it's solve all the setup problems 

Hi Seet

Thanks for writing in!

Can you let us know where you were having issues during setup with the Android device?  Also, can you provide the make/model of the mobile device as well?

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Wistful Whisperer

Hi Mr Tony A .when set up the soundbar 700 using android app its work but when I add in the bass module 700. the accessories searching page show Bose bass module 700 after its connected the accessory speaker page show is connected to Bose bass module 500 and the audio setting don’t show the bass module on/off switch. The bass is weak the sound is no right after I using the ipad Apple os app the set up go smoothly the sound and the subwoofer is ok B9770240-AFEC-4642-9947-52FD63766687.jpeg261A5BB1-6D3C-4F4F-87CB-F21A155A779F.jpeg01F9B7A4-ADAA-4F79-AFD3-948A7D3CC813.jpeg

Hi Seet

Thanks for the prompt update!

The mislabeling of the Bass Module 700 in the app is a known issue, and our development team is working on a fix for it, however this should not affect bass performance.  

Regarding the Android app, currently there is no toggle switch for the bass module and accessory speakers at the moment, but were are working on this as well.  

Can you provide the make/model of the Android device as well as what the version of Android you're using as well?

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Wistful Whisperer

Hello, I recently bought a Home Speaker 500 from Dubai as I was traveling. I set up the speaker at home in Greece to find out Alexa is deactivated (?). Does anyone know if I can and how to activate Alexa? 

Thank you much, 

Ylagos 

Quiet Contributor
How can you change the input to TV using a voice command or using the Android app? If I use the app to play Pandora I then have to find the remote to switch back to TV.

Hello ylagos

Thanks for posting in the Community!

At this time, Greece is not a supported country where Alexa is integrated into the Smart Home speakers but we are continually working with Amazon to integrate more countries and languages.

@brianf21

Currently, there isn't a way of controlling the TV functionality with voice commands.  I will definitely submit a feature request for you though!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Wistful Whisperer

@Tony_A

Hello Tony, thank you for your reply. Looking forward to including Greece in the near future. 

Kind regards, 

Yiannis 

Hi Kamal

Thanks for writing in!

It looks like Alexa is not supported through the Bose Smart Home speakers in your area just yet.  We'll be sure to inform the Community when more countries are added.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A