Introducing the new Bose Portable Home Speaker

Lead Community Manager
Lead Community Manager

PHS_Black_00466_RGB_1920x1280.jpg

The Bose Portable Home Speaker is a wireless home speaker, a portable Bluetooth® speaker, and a voice-controlled speaker, all in one. And no matter what you listen to or where you listen to it, you’ll hear it all in 360 degrees of astonishing Bose sound.

taylor 2.png

Learn more here.

25 Comments
kurtisdigital
Silent Starter
This looks awesome? Can this be used as a speakerphone too? This feature is very important to me. Cheers, Kurt
0 Likes

Hello Kurtisdigital, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. 

Regrettably the Portable Home Speaker does not have a speakerphone feature built in. I apologise for any disappointment this causes. 

If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Kind regards, 

Tegan M 

0 Likes
RyanMM
Silent Starter

My Portable Speaker will NOT activate.  It connects to a Wi-Fi but doesn't activate.  Please help

0 Likes

Hi RyanMM, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with activating the product. I'll do all I can to assist you! 

I would recommend trying the set up again. Sometimes the activation can fail and just needs another try.

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

0 Likes
salgeek
Audible Advocate

I use Apple music w/ . iMac, Macbook Air, and iPhone(s)... does the speaker allow for Apple music play via WiFi?  Trying to get away from Bluetooth.  

0 Likes

Hi Salgeek,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am afraid at this time Apple Music is not supported on the Bose Music App. However Airplay 2 is supported, you can enjoy Apple Music from your devices via this feature that is built in to the Portable Home Speaker. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

0 Likes
salgeek
Audible Advocate

Hi Tegan,

I didn't ask if the Bose Music App supports playing Apple music.  The app is barely able to update speaker firmware.  Most of the time it fails to pair Bose speakers.  Phase it out or invest.  I wanted you to speak to the new $349 speakers Airplay 2 capabilities - ugh.  As a longtime customer.... I'm sad as I listen to the broken stream of music to my Revolve +.  How many firmware miscues must your customers endure before the company listens.  Pardon me I have hold down my multifunction key for 10 seconds.

I can play my Apple Music through the Bose Connect (+) app on my iOS and iPadOS devices - no value add though.  The Bose speaker ecosystems has lost its appeal to me.

0 Likes
Bryan Lin
Quiet Contributor

When can I get Bose Portable home speaker in Taiwan?

0 Likes
guidin17
Wistful Whisperer

the “bose portable home speaker“ model Can you do the party mode or the stereo mode in these 2 speakers like these? 

0 Likes
guidin17
Wistful Whisperer

the “ BOSE PORTABLE HOME SPEAKER” model Can you do the party mode or the stereo mode in these 2 speakers like these?

0 Likes

Hello guidin17,

Welcome to the Bose Community! Thanks for your question.

At this current time, you can certainly group the speakers for multi-room use, however, you cannot split the speakers for stereo mode. Here's some great information on grouping the Smart Home speakers. Using groups

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

0 Likes
Jigs
Audible Advocate

Just purchased one here in Nepal for a whopping $400 usd, and while I love the hardware, I find the software / firmware lacking: 

1. Firmware upgrade takes forever. Since I bought this for a party that I was rushing to, I needed this to work right out of the box (Bat was at least 20%). Well, the first thing that happens when you connect to the web is a firmware update, and while I finally realized that you can use the speaker during the update, it was not apparent, and I was waiting for at least an hour before I figured that out, all the while the party was silent. 
  2. The apps are incomprehensible. Bose Connect does not work, even though I've seen adverts with the two together. Bose Music isn't much better, but at least I got the device signed in there. But how to make a preset? No idea. 
  3. Siri not supported. Come on now, how can you have a speaker that talks, but does not understand Siri? Inexcusable. 
  4. Google Assistant / Alexia supported? Ha, I can't figure out how to make it work, even after reading docs online. For someone with a new iPhone 11, this is crazy time.
  5. I found some setting somewhere buried in the Bose Music app, that made it seem like you could connect other BT speakers to this one. So I tried. It just made a mess, with both speakers cutting off all the time, and with the documentation saying this wasn't even possible (and with the app letting you try). 
  6. Apple Music? I guess you just have to use Airplay or BT it... so that's the support? I wanted the speaker to just play Apple Music from the cloud. How can I do that? 

So, in short, my unboxing and setup was just frustrating - perhaps 'cause I am used to Apple apps / hardware just working right outta the box, with no reading or research needed. Yet with that said, this new device sounds better than any other portable speaker I've used under the price point (Sonos Move costs more, but sounds slightly better). At the end of the day, I think I would rather have an Apple Home Speaker - if they would only put a battery inside, slap a handle on it, and make the enclosure water resistant. 

0 Likes
Achul2a
Quiet Contributor
I bought the speaker a couple of weeks ago in the UK. I had been using it without any problem with Alexa/Google Assistant. However, I have recently moved to Thailand and it is not working anymore. All the voice assistant feature has been gone. I looked up further and found that it is not available here. I checked Bose Online store and noticed that all voice assistant enabled feature is cut off from the feature list or overview page. I would like to know if this will ever be available at all or Thailand is part of the list to roll out the feature anytime soon. Otherwise the speaker is just a Wifi speaker with an expensive price.
0 Likes
Jigs
Audible Advocate

@Achul2a Same here, but in Nepal. Also not on the list. I was thinking if I put the router on a VPN, that might fix it... but that's a lot of work just to say Ok Google. Imo this thing is a bust as a "smart" speaker.

0 Likes
Achul2a
Quiet Contributor

@Jigs  unfortunately I tried the VPN approach already. Bose Music app seems to be validating it somehow and doesn't let you setup the speaker when connecting the VPN. It requires the location of the device which I believe it detects the GPS signal and still recognise you in an invalid country.

However if you manage to get it working. It would be great if you can share a tip 🙂

Jigs
Audible Advocate

@Achul2a Ur right, dunna work here captain. Plus, introducing a VPN to your entire home network just to say OK Google sounds like a bad idea, and introduced other problems besides. I don't think Bose can be a truly great company until they fix their softer-side of the house first. Here's hoping for firmware fixes in the future 😎

0 Likes
bharatbyan
Quiet Contributor

I am facing bluetooth audio video delay with my Bose Portable Home Speaker, i've tried following devices-

1) iPhone XS

2) Macbook Pro 15' 2017

3) Samsung S10e

Kindly help for the same.

0 Likes

Hello bharatbyan, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. 

A slight delay in sound over Blueooth is normal. This is due to the sound being processed by the audio device being sent to the Bose product. This delay is most noticeable when watching a video and listening to the video sound via Bluetooth. 

I apologize for any disappointment this causes. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M

0 Likes
bharatbyan
Quiet Contributor

Why the delay is happening in a product launched in 2019, which is called as Smart Speaker ???

which bluetooth version is being used in BOSE PORTABLE HOME SPEAKER 

as i have 6 year old Bose SoundLink Mini which uses older bluetooth version, still it  like a charm over bluetooth no delay no lag ????? how come thats possible ?

Jigs
Audible Advocate

I've got a delay when playing YouTube over all of my devices, with less lag on iPhone and more lag as my devices get bigger and older. Feeling bummed that I paid so much for such a subpar smart speaker. 

0 Likes
giovadifiore
Audible Advocate

Unfortunately the AirPlay 2 feature is not working with 3.0.8-1987+a8d34f5 firmware version and when trying to connect from an iOS device it's showing this error alert: "Cannot connect to device". I've tried several times restoring factory configurations, but with no success. There's no known way to make it to work currently. A lot of users are having the same issue as shown here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable/Portable-Home-Speaker-Airplay-Issue/td-p/243365/page/4.

Moreover, when switching to a new Wi-Fi network, the Bose Music App is not helping/working in configuring the credentials even if it's supposed to support it with a simple wizard. The only working way is to manually configure the credentials using this alternate method: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/connecting-to-a-wifi-network-alternate-setup-method.html.

This is a bit disappointing with a premium expensive speaker like this one... 

Jigs
Audible Advocate

@giovadifiore that firmware is working here, with Airplay 2 on an iPhone 11. However, I find all the software for this speaker lacking. 

0 Likes
lsyean8
Quiet Contributor

Hi, if I going to buy 2 speakers for stereo mode , can it be done in coming firmware update ? or Bose have no intention to provide split speakers for stereo mode.

hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Michael

guidin17
Wistful Whisperer

Por favor contéstenle 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

0 Likes

Hello lsyean8 and Guidin17,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

As mentioned by @Charlotte_G above: 

"At this current time, you can certainly group the speakers for multi-room use, however, you cannot split the speakers for stereo mode. Here's some great information on grouping the Smart Home speakers. Using groups."

I will certainly raise a feature request for this. However, to set your expectations, we are unable to confirm if the feature we will implement or not. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

0 Likes