New OS impacts for Bose Apps - iOS14 and Android 11

Community Manager
Community Manager

test1.PNG

September 18th Update

Hey everyone,

As you may have seen, Android 11 was released on September 8th and Apple iOS14 release started on September 16th. We wanted to confirm what we communicated in our original post looks to be in line with what we see in the final release of both operating system updates. You should be seeing the updated troubleshooting steps and in-app messages to help guide you through connecting to your Bose products.

Once again, if you are experiencing any adverse effects from these updates, please let us know the details in the comments!

Thanks!

Original Article

Hey everyone, 

We have been testing the public betas for iOS14 and Android 11, and in advance of those releases, we wanted to make you aware of what we have found and how it may impact your experience connecting to WiFi-connected Bose products across Bose Music and SoundTouch apps. 

We haven’t seen any significant impacts with either operating system to our Headphones, Bluetooth Speakers, Wellness, and Wearable products in the Bose Music, Bose Hear, Connect, and Sleep apps.

The biggest change we have seen is with iOS 14.  The first time you launch the Bose Music and SoundTouch apps after updating to iOS 14, you will receive a prompt asking for Local Network access permission. This access is necessary to discover, connect, and control your WiFi-connected Bose products.  If this access is set to ‘Do not Allow’, you will be unable to discover and connect to your Bose speakers or soundbars. 

If you click ‘Do Not Allow’ and then wish to change your permissions later, go to your mobile device settings and make sure Local Network access is turned on.  

Anne_S_0-1599225023580.png

If you’ve previously connected to a Bose speaker or soundbar, you can always find these steps and a button to access your device settings in the Bose Music app under ‘Product Help’ when your device shows as ‘Not Available’.  In Bose SoundTouch app, we will be updating troubleshooting steps in the app if you are unable to see or control existing speakers to communicate Local Network permissions needed as part of iOS14. 

We hope this helps members who choose to update their devices to these exciting new operating systems! Please keep in mind that the final experiences are not always what we see in beta testing. 

Once you have the updates, please let us know below if you experience any trouble with your products or apps and we’ll do our best to assist you!

75 Comments
Contributor

In other words, the impacts on the Android users is that there is an impact on iOS users.  I have no idea what's happening at your company but even your update can't not mess up the update.

Expert
Expert

"We haven’t seen any significant impacts with either operating system to our Headphones, Bluetooth Speakers, Wellness, and Wearable products in the Bose Music, Bose Hear, Connect, and Sleep apps.

The biggest change we have seen is with iOS 14."

Would you be happier if they made two announcements? Would you understand then?

0 Likes
Contributor

Have you been testing the macOS 11 (Big Sur) developer/public betas?

0 Likes
Collaborator

So today received iPad notification of an update to ver 26.0 of the Sound Touch App. Installed, now the App won’t load. As per screen shot, spinning circle only. Uninstalled/reinstalled, to no avail.  iPad OS version 13.7. I will add, just received the update on our Android devices and they work fine.

Just realized this evening that iOS 14 dropped today. Will install tomorrow and see if this fixes the issue, seeing that there has been no response from Bose. 
Installed iOS 14, same issue as above. Interesting that there is no acknowledgement from Bose. 

056078A8-1E46-48AD-8730-A639EDC0ACAE.png

Contributor

Me too!

iPadOS14, white startup screen, spinning icon at the bottom.

Contributor

iPadOS 14, SoundTouch ver.26.0, hangs at startup screen, with Bose logo & spinning icon.

Even re-downloaded app.  Just a spinning icon.

(Just to clarify, this is on iPad, on my iPhone it works fine)

Technically there is now an iOS (for iPhone), iPadOS (for iPad) & a WatchOS for (Apple Watch).

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bose just updated the iOS version only...

Come on Bose, don't you even test this stuff prior to release?  😡

Collaborator

Me too!

On my new iPad Pro, endless spinner.

On my iPhone 11 Pro, the new app works properly.

Darn it!

Ralph

Contributor

Yes well iPhone updated iPad Pro updated acknowledged to allow Bluetooth/wifi access and now I have no control  at all.  The apps just sits there with the pretty little lines spinning at the bottom always such a disappointment from Bose,  don’t buy anything anymore from them anymore when the existing products die I just wont buy from you anymore.  Waited months for airplay on the sound touch units months and now this.  Please just fix it,  maybe test it before launching the app maybe ask your family to test it,  

Anyone have any ideas I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app no luck rebooted the iPad and phone no luck,  it does not even show the app in settings I have running an iPhone X and an iPad Pro 

Participant

Hi. SoundTouch app is freezing on iPad since the upgrade to iPad OS 14

thanks

Participant

I installed the SoundTouch app on my new iPad Pro with iOS 14 and after enabling the local net work access, the app hangs when I try to open it. I checked in the app list of the iPad and there is no SoundTouch app listed. However, there is an icon on the iPad saying that it is there. I’ve tried deleting the app but the icon disappears but I can still open it from the App Store so it is not fully de installed. 

Phone worked fine after ios 14 update but 4th generation ipad loaded with IOS 14 did not.  It hangs on the Bose white screen.  Have tried turning off private address and allowing SoundTouch in Local Network but to no avail.  Remarkably Windows has worked flawlessly through their last 3 updates.  Oh well, will put on my foil hat and try to see the conspiracy that Apple is protecting us from!

0 Likes
Participant

Same problem here

0 Likes
Contributor

Same here, the app works fine on my iPhone 11 Pro when updated to iOS 14 but just has a spinning wheel on my iPad Pro.     I wish I’d read this two hours ago!

Have you enabled the local network access for the SoundTouch app in iOS 14?

bose.png

0 Likes
Participant

Works fine on iPhone, but just get Bose icon and spinning icon on iPad iOS 14.  Tried reinstalling - still the same!

iPad does not work in OS 14 with Bose SoundTouch app

Same here, I see a spinning icon and thats it, nothing else. I haven't even updated to ios 14 yet. Bose needs to get their act together and employ someone who can write software and someone who can test it before it's released.

0 Likes

The same for me with iPad running iOS 14. Opening soundtouch application, after giving access to local network, It’s just showing a spinning icon. 

Just note, my iPhone also running iOS 14 runs Soundtouch normally 

Participant

Yes it is enabled

0 Likes
Contributor

Yes, it’s enabled.  It’s even been deleted and installed again and enabled from the initial question on installation.   Still doesn’t work.   

Participant

Same here.  Works on iPhone but just get bose icon with spinning icon at the bottom on my iPad os14.

Problem is in settings.  Near the bottom of the page you can customize settings for individual apps Accu Weather,, Shazam 

, SoundTouch etc. On iPhone SoundTouch is listed and there is a slider for local network.  On 4th Generation iPad SoundTouch is not a listed App.  iPhone works with Bose SoundTouch.  iPad does not.

Same as others have stated,  Soundtouch app just spins on an ipad while is working fine on iPhone XR.    I have removed soundtouch and reinstalled along with resetting all my network connections on ipad.    Actually the soundtouch app worked fine yesterday before i updated iOS 14.  This morning the soundtouch app would not work.  Then I updated to ios14 and still didn’t work.   Very strange.

BA653459-50D8-4264-B45E-A6DF148A21ED.jpeg

57AB7FF3-BAD1-4386-A7B2-1DE5D475BB07.jpeg

I upgraded iOS14 and after this when I launch bose music app which is paired with Soundbar 700, I am getting error - “we are installing update on your speaker and this will take few minutes”.  But this message is seen even after few hours. I reinstalled app and yet no use. 
i am unable to use bose music app at all due to this issue. 

Same here, works on iPhone, locks up on iPad 

Much the same as everyone else. Works on iPhone, but not on iPad.
Have reinstalled the app several times without any success.

Doesn’t even show up in the app list...!!!

Same here like Shivashankar; pls. help.

0 Likes

Confirming that the SoundTouch app works on the iPhone with IOS 14.   Nothing but a white screen and logo on the iPad with IOS14.  Permissions are both set to allow access to the local network. Reinstalling the app does not work.  In summary, one cannot use SoundTouch on an iPad with IOS 14 installed.

Please advise.

"We haven’t seen any significant impacts with either operating system to our Headphones, Bluetooth Speakers, Wellness, and Wearable products in the Bose Music, Bose Hear, Connect, and Sleep apps.

No mention of the SoundTouch app there. Ya think maybe they forgot to test it...???

I have updated to IOS 14 the app promoted me sign in again which I did. Then I have been receiving this message. I can’t control the system 

0B342416-CD53-4B5B-B159-4F391A020D7D.png

0 Likes
Participant

same issue here.  Latest Bose App update. 26.0.0

works on iPhone with iOS 13.6 and iPhone with iOS 14.0

does not work with iPad Pro (v2) with iOS 14.0 

If Bose monitors this site which it seems there is a moderator, it would be nice to acknowledge the issue and that a solution will be forthcoming.

Tried the delete and reinstall as well and no joy.

Participant

PS:  get the same white screen and spinning circle that teskor gets (see thread above posted 9/16/2020)

The fix Bose suggests at the top of this string does not work for me. Apparently not for any others either. Time to go back to the drawing board!

Collaborator

So... any acknowledgment of this this issue or a fix Bose?

Participant

Spoke with Bose Support just a few minutes ago.  They have acknowledged there is an issue.  No resolution at this point. They are in communication with Apple as well.  So no use tearing your hair out looking for a solution until there is an Bose App update or hopefully not waiting for an iPad iOS fix.

Yes, I seem to be having the same problem as many since updating all my devices yesterday to IOS 14.

iphone 11 pro max, soundtouch app works fine, iPad pros that I use around the house for music and control of my 4 Bose soundtouch capable systems, just a white screen and spinning circle.

have uninstalled and reinstalled on all of them, all doing the same thing.

very disappointing, especially for me as the owner of a pro av company and a Bose pro dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compatibility across all products is not a “Bose” desire ... obviously. I am very frustrated as I only have the iPad with OS 14 connected to my now non functioning $125 soundtouch.

Collaborator

ST app not loading on iPad Pro using OS 14. Tries to load, spins & spins.

The option for allowing Local Network access in Bose Music settings is missing.

Tried rebooting, redownloading, changing to a different network. No success.

Just saw the comment that someone spoke with Support & it's a known issue.

I am getting this error when trying to connect my sound bar 500 via the Bose music app. It appears to be working, connects the speaker to my network, and then this error. 

dmfitz82_0-1600391872047.png

It says the product activation failed. I’ve had these products almost 1 year, and worked fine with the app prior to the software update. 

0 Likes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FML. I have been ready to sh1tcan all things Bose over their software lameness so many times that this may be the last. Alexa integration appears to be damaged too. I have 4 SoundTouch systems. Ugh. 

Hi I have same issue..

Works on iPhone ios14. 

Ipad Mini ios14

Fails on IPad Pro 12.9.

Thanks

0 Likes
Contributor

Could be worse Scottomatic you could have six systems.

My app didn't work with 13.7 or the 14.0 upgrade today.

Loving life!

Piglet said to Poo - "What day is it today Poo?"

Poo said "Its today - My favourite day!!!"

Keep sane - Keep safe!

Participant

Same problem here 18/09/20 as everyone else, all i have is the bose logo and a spinning circle, yes it has asked to connect to local network and I have told it to do this, nothing happens.

Also I can't find any option in the various menus on the Ipad to check if the local network is on or off, nothing looks like the screen shots that you are showing.

The app works fine on my PC running windows 10, the iphone seems to ok too

is there a solution or am i now cut off from the 4 sound touch units we have in the house!!!

Same problem. White screen with spinning icon at bottom of 2 iPads. Works on android phone. One iPad was upgraded to ios14. The other was not upgraded and have same white page with spinning icon!,

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about the issue you are having with the SoundTouch app. We have forwarded this information to our engineering team and they are looking into it.

We are very sorry about the inconvenience this is causing and we will let you know as soon as we hear back.

Thank you!

Collaborator

Is there any resolution to SoundTouch app v. 26.0.0. (date 26 September 2020) not opening on iPads?  I have tried to reinstalling the app, restarting the iPad, and checking the settings as described with no success.  The app won't start.

Luckily, I have an iPad 4 lying around so I installed the last update on IOS 10.3 and it all work’s perfectly. I was able to update the SoundTouch 20 and all is well.

So, that’s the solution..... IOS 10.3 and the SoundTouch v 26.00 and it all works fine 🙂

0 Likes
Lead Community Manager
Lead Community Manager

Thank you to our customers who have reported issues with running the Bose SoundTouch app on their iPad.  

We have verified an issue causing the SoundTouch app to not successfully launch on some versions of iPads.  We investigated this a bit and have verified that it is not due to iOS14 specifically, as some have been able to recreate the issue on devices running iOS13.   We are actively working on a resolution and will let you know as soon as possible when it is available.  We apologize for any inconvenience this caused and any impact to your SoundTouch experience.

Thanks everyone for commenting on this. I’m usually not a fan of these boards; but this has been very helpful. I too have been experiencing the same issue. Driving me crazy!  Hopefully there will be a resolution soon. Also: hey Bose! When will you be introducing more speakers compatible with Soundtouch? I need 1 or 2 additional ones. 

0 Likes
Advocate
Advocate

Like so many others, on My iPad Air 2 the app, which had worked perfectly on iOS 13 just before the upgrade, refused to finish loading and connect once I had installed the new OS. I let it connect to network, tried uninstalling/reinstalling etc. It sits there with the spinner going in the centre of the window.

Fortunately I can still control my Soundtouch speakers with my older iPhone (iOS 12), and my PC.

Sadly I am not even slightly surprised, as your skill at designing hardware is only matched by your poor record on software!

0 Likes