New OS impacts for Bose Apps - iOS14 and Android 11

Anne_S
Community Manager - Retired
Community Manager - Retired

test1.PNG

September 18th Update

Hey everyone,

As you may have seen, Android 11 was released on September 8th and Apple iOS14 release started on September 16th. We wanted to confirm what we communicated in our original post looks to be in line with what we see in the final release of both operating system updates. You should be seeing the updated troubleshooting steps and in-app messages to help guide you through connecting to your Bose products.

We have verified an issue causing the SoundTouch app to not successfully launch on some versions of iPads. We investigated this and verified that it is not due to iOS14, as some have been able to recreate the issue on devices running iOS13. We are actively working on a resolution and will let you know as soon as possible when it is available. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused and any impact to your SoundTouch experience. To discuss and receive updates for this issue, click here.

Once again, if you are experiencing any adverse effects from these updates, please let us know the details in the comments!

Thanks!

Original Article

Hey everyone, 

We have been testing the public betas for iOS14 and Android 11, and in advance of those releases, we wanted to make you aware of what we have found and how it may impact your experience connecting to WiFi-connected Bose products across Bose Music and SoundTouch apps. 

We haven’t seen any significant impacts with either operating system to our Headphones, Bluetooth Speakers, Wellness, and Wearable products in the Bose Music, Bose Hear, Connect, and Sleep apps.

The biggest change we have seen is with iOS 14.  The first time you launch the Bose Music and SoundTouch apps after updating to iOS 14, you will receive a prompt asking for Local Network access permission. This access is necessary to discover, connect, and control your WiFi-connected Bose products.  If this access is set to ‘Do not Allow’, you will be unable to discover and connect to your Bose speakers or soundbars. 

If you click ‘Do Not Allow’ and then wish to change your permissions later, go to your mobile device settings and make sure Local Network access is turned on.  

Anne_S_0-1599225023580.png

If you’ve previously connected to a Bose speaker or soundbar, you can always find these steps and a button to access your device settings in the Bose Music app under ‘Product Help’ when your device shows as ‘Not Available’.  In Bose SoundTouch app, we will be updating troubleshooting steps in the app if you are unable to see or control existing speakers to communicate Local Network permissions needed as part of iOS14. 

We hope this helps members who choose to update their devices to these exciting new operating systems! Please keep in mind that the final experiences are not always what we see in beta testing. 

Once you have the updates, please let us know below if you experience any trouble with your products or apps and we’ll do our best to assist you!

40 Comments
Sonixelectronix
Contributor

In other words, the impacts on the Android users is that there is an impact on iOS users.  I have no idea what's happening at your company but even your update can't not mess up the update.

Xyz987
Expert
Expert

"We haven’t seen any significant impacts with either operating system to our Headphones, Bluetooth Speakers, Wellness, and Wearable products in the Bose Music, Bose Hear, Connect, and Sleep apps.

The biggest change we have seen is with iOS 14."

Would you be happier if they made two announcements? Would you understand then?

0 Likes
awills61
Contributor

Have you been testing the macOS 11 (Big Sur) developer/public betas?

Shivashankar
Contributor

BA653459-50D8-4264-B45E-A6DF148A21ED.jpeg

57AB7FF3-BAD1-4386-A7B2-1DE5D475BB07.jpeg

I upgraded iOS14 and after this when I launch bose music app which is paired with Soundbar 700, I am getting error - “we are installing update on your speaker and this will take few minutes”.  But this message is seen even after few hours. I reinstalled app and yet no use. 
i am unable to use bose music app at all due to this issue. 

FrankAD

Same here like Shivashankar; pls. help.

0 Likes
Karim1986

I have updated to IOS 14 the app promoted me sign in again which I did. Then I have been receiving this message. I can’t control the system 

0B342416-CD53-4B5B-B159-4F391A020D7D.png

0 Likes
MrLoach

The fix Bose suggests at the top of this string does not work for me. Apparently not for any others either. Time to go back to the drawing board!

dmfitz82

I am getting this error when trying to connect my sound bar 500 via the Bose music app. It appears to be working, connects the speaker to my network, and then this error. 

dmfitz82_0-1600391872047.png

It says the product activation failed. I’ve had these products almost 1 year, and worked fine with the app prior to the software update. 

0 Likes
Scottomatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FML. I have been ready to sh1tcan all things Bose over their software lameness so many times that this may be the last. Alexa integration appears to be damaged too. I have 4 SoundTouch systems. Ugh. 

M Rolph
Contributor

Could be worse Scottomatic you could have six systems.

My app didn't work with 13.7 or the 14.0 upgrade today.

Loving life!

Piglet said to Poo - "What day is it today Poo?"

Poo said "Its today - My favourite day!!!"

Keep sane - Keep safe!

bbelet

iPhone iOS 13.7 and SoundTouch app 26.0.0

App cannot locate Wave IV, but was working fine up until a day or so ago. Have not upgraded to iOS 14 as yet. 

It's a real mess right now. Reading the comments posted, it seems that both iOS 13.n and 14 are affected.

The rather vague Bose letter and Sept 18 update do not really help much at this point. What are we all to do to get this working again?

dmfitz82

Has there been any movement towards a solution here? I am still unable to add the sound bar 500's that I have to the Bose music app after the software update that was performed. 

0 Likes
Deepak Mathur

When can we expect a solution for ios14 with Bose app

0 Likes
Deepak Mathur

Bose app is not working with iPad 12.4.8 also.  

Bose team should share tentative plan to sort out the issue.     

0 Likes
Fox306

Just downloaded SoundTouch version 26.0.1 and seems things are working again on my iPad Pro.

0 Likes
David Moore
Advocate
Advocate

As per previous comment by fox206, when connected to same WIFI as my units, I was able to delete the Soundtouch app and download it again from the app store and it finds the Soundtouch account and the units.

For me the app did not appear as an update.

0 Likes
Esha Kuldeep

Even after my iPhone is connected the songs are being played but there is no sound from the speaker! Once disconnected my phone is back with its own sound. It’s getting connected but no sound being played !! Pls fix 

Sue Hahn

I have an iPhone SE. Once I updated it to ios 14, the Bose Soundtouch App no longer works. I have tried all the obvious (re-connect, make sure local network is on, delete and re-download app., etc. etc.). Please help.

RAKESH AL
Participant

Hi,

I have the Qc 35ii. I bought this in August 2020. Initially I had connected

with my Iphone 7. It worked fine with that.  Later I replace my Iphone 7 with

Iphone SE. Tried to connect to my QC 35ii, it just says connecting to Iphone

and dosn't connect to the new Iphone SE at all.

The QC 35ii is not at all seen in the list of bluetooth devices

in my Iphone. I then checked on an Andriod phone too. The issue

persists.

I also checked on the Windows 10 Laptop, It shows just LE-Bose Comfort,

in the list of bluetooth devices. 

The QC ii is unable to enter into pairing mode :

- I tried to reset them , nothing changed

- I tried to clear the device pairing list , it did'nt happen at all. I could'nt clear the list.

Is there some way I can manually clear earlier devices on the QC ii and reset them back to factory

default allowing me to force them back into pairing mode and allow to pair them back to my iphone ?

After paying so much for the Bose headphones I feel really bad for not getting any solution for the 

problem.

0 Likes
Neffrk

I have a Soundtouch 30 system connected to my wifi at home.  I have a new computer (Mac mini), and recently updated to OS 10.15.7.

I went to download the Soundtouch OSx Installer app and received the error message below.

I have not been able to broadcast music to the speakers (I didn't try prior to upgrading to current Mac OS). 

Neffrk_0-1601250570697.png

Doesn't work in iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 either on iPhone or iPad. All with latest software. 

Spent too many hours going through the out of date troubleshooting, resetting, switching on an off etc.  A waste of time.  

Fundamentally, Bose have not sorted out their Bose Sounds software during the many months of iOS 14 beta testing. Full Stop  (or period if you're US!). 

So no longer able to play music through my Soundbar 700, sub and rears. Annoying.  Should have stuck with Sonos.

meyertg

Bose has always done right for me for over 40 years...sometimes something comes along that requires a little more patience that many are reluctant to give.  In fairness, you pay for quality - a fair price - and service.  I can tell you that less that 6 months after my B&O system came out, the upgrade the app, nut only for new equipment.  And B&O pricing makes Bose seem Like a discount store.  It took the 18 months to do something.  With Bose, I has a LifeStyle 12 (original high end LifeStyle system.  Bose fixed it twice, no change.  When it could not be fixed, I got full credit on a new LifeStyle 35 system.  Where are you going to get that?  Last example, my Bose 901 speakers case (wood) came apart,  Because they didn’t make the same series, they sent the newest Series speakers - pair - no charge and even paid for shipping back the old ones.  Stop living in an I want it NOW world.  Bose will take care of it.  The right way.  Some things take a little time.  Even the original sleep headsets, as beta testers, were fully refunded.  New, more advanced one are coming shortly.

0 Likes

I'm not going to get into protracted argument on this but as a professional engineer, who has owned many Bose products (LS25, QC10, Sounddock etc), I understand how Bose work - they get there in the end.  As an example, it took 18 months to finally find a shape of the tips for their original earbuds that didn't keep falling out. That approach used to work in the past but nowadays that's no longer acceptable. If your products are increasingly reliant on software to make them work, you have to be ahead of the game.

The well published timeline for iOS14's release, the long beta testing programme etc require constant engagement to ensure that you're ready for the release.  If scores of others can do it, why can't Bose? I don't think that expecting a product to continue to work after a software update is "living in an I want it NOW world".  My Soundbar700 ceased to function as a music source.  Is it too much to expect it to work?

So yesterday Bose issued (silently and without telling anybody) version 4.1.1 to replace 4.0.1 and yes - it now works after a few restarts.  Again, there's no mention on this their support system, software documentation or any other media. 

Hopefully, they will learn from this embarrassment and ensure their participation in the software development programme is better next time

Porsi

Hi. I have two Bose Soundlink Revolve + portable Bose speakers. One of them is comparatively new with Alexa. I am able to connect only one of them through the Bose Music App that I have on my iPhone but not the one with the other. The app seems to be able to locate the speaker but is unable to connect to it. Please advise, as I would like both the speakers to be connected through the Bose Music and Bose Connect apps so that I can pair them for a Stereo experience.

Thank you

0 Likes

Hi
I connect to my Bose Color II soundlink using bluetooth on my phone. Since ios14 update the music/sound will not play. This occurs for various apps including podcasts, radio players, and my own music from itunes.

The phone indicates that the the speaker is playing music, but nothing can be heard.

Sarah.

0 Likes
Merryxmas2me
Participant

Recently purchased the Sound Wave IV and loved it...until 3 days ago.  This app issue is outrageous! I understand technology changes with the wind and their can be  mishaps, but I have never seen such a problem with a company and a  system upgrade.  I am basically left with a $600 speaker box  only because the app is no longer functioning and the remote is now useless as well.  Spent two days troubleshooting this unit - I’m done.  Returning unit today while still under warranty.

0 Likes
anvarjamal
Participant

I have been a Bose user from quite some time. Nice products. But. Bose should not only spend its revenue on R&D and Ads. Please spend a few dollars on your developers to make these apps work. Recruit a good team. If we customers are frustrated, what do you think how long you would able to retain us and get our loyalty.

0 Likes

Hello,

I am trying to re setup my Bose Sound Touch product because we have changed our network password. The app, however would always go to "Checking for Updates" and is taking so long and not completing.

Kindly advise what to do.

Thanks and regards,

Roberto C. Rangga

0 Likes
bs.hines

I have been attempting to get our Soundbar 700 working for the past 2 days. The white light is flowing from left to right. we have attempted to reset it to factory and the white light continues and can not get the amber. I currently have the bar connected to the modem but also know that it was connected through wifi. if I type in the IP address it states that it can not find it. The light remained flowing overnight. 

this is doing my head in. I hate when electronics beat me. 

I put in new batteries in the remote not sure if it is connected to the Soundbar but have got the blue acknowledge on iPhone. 

Does anyone have any other ideas. Covid lockdown is sending me mad ....nah more likely Bose

LG93

Hola ayer compré un bose home speacker 300, luego de varios intentos de configurar la aplicación y el parlante, que por cierto tuve que reiniciar ambos varías veces, logré conectarme y no cuento con los asistentes de voz y la reproducción se corta aleatoriamente, me dice que spotify no se encuentra disponible, y se desconecta el parlante. Por favor ayuda

0 Likes
Hector_B

Hey LG93, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to read that you are having connection issues with your new speaker and would love to assist further. 

Can you please let us know the region that you are located in, as well as if you are having issues with just Spotify or all streaming services? 

We look forward to hearing back from you. 

If you wish to receive support in Spanish, please reach out to your regional support team here.

0 Likes
MariaB

Hola

Compré un bose Home 500 y no he podido actualizarlo en la aplicación Bose Music

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-30 at 8.54.23 AM.jpeg

7b7ae790-a50e-451c-9ee6-9469b71c6c4f.jpeg

0 Likes
KindofBlue
Participant

Well said. I have had significant problems establishing a connection to home wifi, and if I leave the house when I return there is a high likelihood the Soundtouch App will not be able to see the speaker(s). I'm a little tired of ....is it amber? Even if it is, it doesn't connect, and if by chance it does that's no guarantee you won't have to start over next time. You would think a company trying to appeal to the higher end of the market would invest more in customer service, user interface, ease of use, etc.....but nope. It's a shame because the speakers are really good.

0 Likes
KindofBlue
Participant

And someone ought to let their networking engineers and software engineers know that iOS is not the only OS in the world. I suspect there are tens of millions of people in the world, of which I am one, who use android.

0 Likes
jrmaynham

I have a bose 500 and it remained static in an automatic update process and it does not allow me to restart it in any way. Please send me instructions on how to fix the problem johnmaynham@gmail.com

0 Likes
Nashai13
Participant

I have a very strange experience with Bose700 headphones and iOS/MacOS
Not sure if its related to iOS14 or not
But whenever I connect my headphone using the bose music app people are complaining that they can hear me on calls and that my voice sound low and as if I am talking underwater 
As soon as In delete the music app and connect them to my iPhone using regular iOS bluetooth settings everything seems to work much much better!
Anyone else experiencing this behavior as well?
I hope it is a software issue and not hardware 😞 

0 Likes
DrShimon

theres a low sound on one of the eartips, is this dueto software issue or any issue with the device? my device is uptodate and i tried resetting it as per support website but no use.

0 Likes
dan bowen

I have got the soundbar 700 and and bose speaker.  This app experience is woeful.  To set up Spotify or Alexa just does not work. I have an android mobile and its just awful. I cant find anything online to help.  the forums on this website are poor to say the least.  I work in IT and understand tech but this just is awful.  Wish i never wasted my money on these bose products. (a lot of money... with little or no support)

0 Likes
VTsung

Hi, I have been a loyal Bose customer for over 20 years and as a result have quite a few of your products which unfortunately do not currently support AirPlay 2 and I now have wireless speakers which do not connect to each other throughout my home.  The quality and condition of my older speakers are all excellent and I see no reason to get rid of them and replace them with the newer ones but will Bose eventually set up AirPlay 2 on all speakers?  Even ones that currently do not have Airplay 2?

Thanks.  Vivian

0 Likes

Yesterday I installed a new Proximus (Telecom Company in Belgium) TV decoder Version 7 Android. This is no longer compatible with the Bose remote controller of my Lifestile V35 Home Entertainment System ( 2013 ). So we have to use the two remote controllers together. For your information.

0 Likes