cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertcc
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

BOSE MINI II BATTERY DEFECTIVE ! Won't Charge.

I bought a Bose Soundlink Mini ii speaker 2 days ago from local Costco and the battery stopped charging already. It's surprisingly a common issue when I found this forum here. 

I tried to reboot the system and update the firmware many times. None of these worked. 

There are hundreds of people having the same battery issue and they posted here. The only thing Bose official does is telling them to reboot the system. I literally bought this brand new speaker from Costco 48 hours ago and I’m already spending hours reading posts, searching for a way to repair it.

It’s clearly a defective product. The sound quality is superb but I will have to return this while I still can. I want to buy a speaker that actually works. Very disappointed with Bose. It should have been a recall, given the fact that countless people have the very same issue. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a fixable issue or not. As a customer, I shouldn’t have to spend time on repairing a brand new Bose product. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
robertcc
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

Re: BOSE MINI II BATTERY DEFECTIVE ! Won't Charge.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tony_G

Neither rebooting system, changing charger, nor updating firmware worked. The speaker doesn't charge whatsoever. 

Until I downgraded the firmware from 1.1.4 to 1.1.3, the speaker started to charge normally magically. 

Please work on the firmware update, Bose please. You have definitely messed up with the 1.1.4 firmware, which cased the battery charging failure. 

(To others who want to try: pressing A, D, Up arrow, Down arrow on your keyboard when you are in firmware updating website, you will see a drop-down menu. Selecting 1.1.3 and downgrade your system to 1.1.3. You might be able to charge normally and fix the issue. At lease it worked for me. Not sure how long it will keep working but I will update). 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi robertcc!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I thank you for sharing it with the community. I'd like to suggest that you try a new charger as it could be an issue there.  If changing the charger does not help then I would recommend reaching out to customer support here.  Support can help you set up an exchange for your speaker, we definitely want you to be able to enjoy your product fully.

Let me know how it goes?

Thank you and have a great day,

Shiloh_C 

robertcc
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. By "trying a new charger", do you mean that using another non-OEM charger to charge directly without the dock? (like an iPhone charger?) 

I returned the product to the Costco where I bought already, but if that's a way to go, I'd like to buy another one and try your way. 

Irina_I

Hi robertcc, 

You can indeed bypass the charging cradle and plug a charger directly into the speaker. Any charger with compatible power requirements would be all right, however we do advise you to use the Bose charger. You can disconnect it from the charging cradle and connect it to your speaker directly. 

Kind regards, 

Irina

robertcc
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tony_G

Neither rebooting system, changing charger, nor updating firmware worked. The speaker doesn't charge whatsoever. 

Until I downgraded the firmware from 1.1.4 to 1.1.3, the speaker started to charge normally magically. 

Please work on the firmware update, Bose please. You have definitely messed up with the 1.1.4 firmware, which cased the battery charging failure. 

(To others who want to try: pressing A, D, Up arrow, Down arrow on your keyboard when you are in firmware updating website, you will see a drop-down menu. Selecting 1.1.3 and downgrade your system to 1.1.3. You might be able to charge normally and fix the issue. At lease it worked for me. Not sure how long it will keep working but I will update). 

View solution in original post