Issue with Bluetooth connection.

Highlighted
PGB
Silent Starter

Issue with Bluetooth connection.

Hi all,

I have a Soundlink Revolve and it works great with my iPad and iPhone. However it won't work with my Windows 10 PC. It seemed to pair successfully and shows as connected in the control panel but no sound from the pc will play. I've tried YouTube, Windows Media Player, VMC etc. but I can't get it to work. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GB

3 REPLIES 3
Vocal Volunteer

Re: Issue with Bluetooth connection.

You seem to be running into an issue which has been discussed here quite a bit - problems communicating with windows 7 and 10 machines using Bluetooth (BT).  It is not isolated to just the Revolve's - I have seen that issue on my Dell win 7/64 machine with multiple Bose products.  BT is comprised with two 'profiles' - HFP which is for voice over ip/phone applications like Skype and Whatsapp and A2DS applications used for stereo music streaming (locally and internet).  Each has it's own 'device'.  So when you pair your device, you get a series of services, those two and a few more.  So in the simplest case which yours may or may not be, you pair but your devices (which for my windows are called headset and stereo renderer) may be 'offline'.  You can try restarting the service but most of the time that will not work.

I do not work for Bose but they will tell you to go through all their troubleshooting steps which includes removing all your devices from both ends and updating the firmware.  Thing is, you will likely not see any change when you do that.  The reason is because there are three entities which comprise part of your BT communication and they are not all cooperating with each other - the Revolve, Windows, and your Bluetooth hardware/drivers (which are not from Microsoft).  Try this - put the Revolve in AUX mode and plug the supplied cable into the back of the Revolve and your PCs stereo mini jack.  Odds are that will work - and the reason is the problem is BT and not your Revolve.

Now you can try to get Bose to do something about this.  They have heard about this many times and even if they agree to do something about it by changing the BT part of the Revolve's firmware, will it work for you in the future?  Maybe yes and maybe not.  Bose's market is the mobile market (phones and tablets) and not the PC/Mac market.  That third player - the one with the BT stuff on your PC is but one of dozens if not hundreds of possible BT solutions that work with windows and the mac.  And Bose is not motivated or possible capable of testing everything.  So assuming you want to use your Revolve in BT and not wired mode, you will have to address the other end.

My Dell came with Intel bluetooth hardware/drivers.  Other people here have confirmed that it is highly unlikely to get Intel to work and I have tried myself.  In fact, on my last attempts I could not get ANY of my Bose devices paired - they wouldn't even get 'discovered' (shown up in ADD DEVICES).  Dell is trying to help but I don't think they will get anywhere either.

So there are two players on the other end - Microsoft and your Bluetooth vendor.  Intel on its site for Windows 7 (and you are 10) mentions at least two Windows updates that conflict with its hardware and need to get uninstalled.  If you happen to see those two on your PC, uninstall them.  But you may also want to uninstall Windows updates back about two years to see if that helps.  You can always reinstall them

Then if you can't pin it on windows, you can try your BT vendor by uninstalling the driver, reinstall it, possibly a newer one and also try drivers back about 2 or 3 years.

If none of the above works, you can continue to work for a solution in your 'threesome' or:

1. Sell your Revolve and getting another Bose or different vendor solution which itslef may or may not work in your environment

2. Disable your BT vendor and go with another BT USB solution.  I first tried Insignia - no go for me.  Some people here tried ASUS and they like it.  My solution was to go with a $12 (ebay) SMK Nano USB dongle with CSR stack.  That works for both my laptop and desktop with all my Bose.  Though I am still having a separate issue (which is in my opinion a Revolve firmware issue) - with BT and not wired, I can't get sufficient volume out of my windows machines.  It happens on both my Revolves and only when they access windows - not on my iphone 7+.  Also my other Bose devices (QC35ii, soundsport wired and soundlink mini) when paired with my windows machines play their volumes fine.

PGB
Silent Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear that this is so problematic and I may try the SMK dongle that worked for you. 

I'll reply back here and let you know if that works.

PGB

PGB
Silent Starter

I tried the Asus stick and it still doesn't work. 

GB