Keeping remote SoundLink connected overnight

Silent Starter

Keeping remote SoundLink connected overnight

I have a 'different' problem than most, I think.....

I keep my SoundLink outside (covered patio) where I work during the day.  I like to play music while I work, so I connect my Macbook Pro (that is in my office) to the speaker and play music - works (and sounds!) great.

However, when I go in for the night, I change my speakers over to my TV and watch videos/movies in the evening.

The next morning, in order to connect the SoundLink again, I have to go outside and turn it on (even though it is connected to power, it shuts off if there is no audio {or after a time, I'm not sure which...}), then run back into the office (if I'm not 'fast', the SoundLink shuts off again... Smiley Sad and turn on the music, then connect to the SoundLink again......

While it is 'good excercise', it is not a 'good user experience'.......

Is there anything I can do to keep the SoundLInk connected to the computer?  What I would love it the ability to just switch back to it (System Preferences, Sound, Output) and turn on the music again, then go outside and listen to the wonderful sound.

I read some other posts about updating the software in the device and I know there is a USB connection on the speaker, but unfortunately there was no new software for the SoundLink.

Thanks for a great sounding product - and any help on keeping this connection going overnight.

4 REPLIES 4
Wistful Whiz

Re: Keeping remote SoundLink connected overnight

You may be able to get to do what you want using the Bose Connect app - that is the only option I believe you currently have (though I do not work for Bose and they may come with other ideas).  You can control what is connected and not connected through the app.  So if you go to the connections icon (on the bottom left, to the left of the speakers icon) and tap, you will see a list of all paired devices.  Some may not be currently connected (so they are not in the 'current' section - they are grayed out in the 'history' section below).  So you would slide the button to the right to reconnect the device.

Now the way the Revolve works is it will 'time' out after a certain amount of time and disconnect itself automatically (i.e., gray out that connection button as described above).  You can vary the "Auto-off Timer" by tapping the button in the upper right hand corner and then tapping the Auto off timer.  If you plan on leaving it plugged overnight, you can set the timer to 'never'.  But remember that will keep it on all the time and so if it is not plugged in and auto timer is never, you will use up all the battery possibly before the next morning.

Silent Starter

Thanks for the idea - sounded like a real possibility - - - -though the app is only available for iOS, not MacOS.... Smiley Sad

If I had all the songs on my phone, I could just connect directly when I'm outside - but all my songs are on a hard drive on the Mac (and maybe there is a way to control that remotely, I really don't know, but I don't want to control the songs, just the output and I don't think there is a remote for that...).

Hopefully someone will have an answer - it is not the end of the world, but certainly I would like some simpler way to get my music going (I know, I could bring the SoundLink back into the office each night and remember to turn it on and connect each morning - tried that, kept forgetting the speaker.....)

Also, if I could only, somehow, turn on the music (it is going most of the time when I'm in the office unless I'm watching a movie) then just turn on the SoundLink and the Mac would recoginse there is a previously connected Bluetooth device and connect to it, that would be great (and simple - just turn on the speaker....)

Well, thanks again for the reply - I do hope others have some 'trick' to make this work!

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

You don't install Bose Connect on the Mac - you install it on your phone - ios or android.  You use it merely to modify the settings on your revolve - not to play with your phone.  Just pair it with your phone and change the settings with the app.  When you are done, you can even unpair and settings (Auto shutoff) will remain on the Revolve.

Silent Starter

Thanks for letting me know more details on the app.

However, again, no luck - I do not have (as you keep refering to) a 'Resolve' - I have a SoundLink (1, I think - the original SoundLink model, purchased several years ago by my sister in the US and sent to me in Ecuador, along with some noise cancelling headphones......) which is not listed in the app, and therefore the app says it cannot help....

I have tried searching the web and doing all sorts of things, but the only thing that works consistently is to power on the SoundLink (which, again, is outside...), then turn on the music (iTunes) and do a 'Connect' in the Bluetooth System Preferences in the Mac.  Nothing else has helped (including several 'reset' things on the Mac - however, I did find solutions to a couple other problems I've been having with it for a long time, so the search was not totally in vain!)

One article I found stated that Apple has a lot of trouble with Bluetooth, so maybe that is all there is.......

I have one other thing to try, which is removing the other Bluetooth device - but that is a wireless keyboard (made by Apple - pricey in Ecuador!) and I really don't want to remove that as then I won't have any way to type (the Mac keyboard broke about 18 months after I bought it - the 'T' key sticks - seems a common problem.... Smiley Sad and the only way to use the computer is with the external keyboard and disconnecting the internal one... {yes, I've had more than a few 'issues' with this Mac - but service is "two weeks" just for them to look at it, so......})

Well, anyway, thanks for trying to help - though I'm still looking for a solution that doesn't involve 'sneaker net' connections! Smiley Happy