Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

MacBook Pro automatically powers up Revolve speaker on wake

I don't understand it and it never used to happen until recently but every time I wake my MBP from sleep it powers on my Revolve if its in range. I don't like it because it takes over my Mac's mic and speakers and drains the Revolve's battery even if I'm not listening to music and don't want to use it.

I also find it curious that there is no desktop equivalent to the iOS app that has so many useful feature. I can't control powering up remotely on demand? I actually have two of these speakers and can only use stereo mode with my iOS device? What nonsense.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 8, 2017

Re: MacBook Pro automatically powers up Revolve speaker on wake

I am having the exact same problem. Seems to have started since installing the last firmware update. Very frustrating!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 8, 2017

Is anyone from Bose aware of this problem? It’s extremely frustrating. Basically, my Revolve SoundLink + will be off and if it comes anywhere near my MacBook Pro (even if it’s closed and asleep!), it turns back on and connects to the laptop. I’ve tried deleting the pairing from the Mac and via the Bose Connect app - no matter what I do, this still keeps happening 😞 Never noticed this before the latest firmware update. Would really, really like it to be fixed.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Same is happening with my phone, multiple computers, etc. They are all paired to my Soundlink and if any one of them is turned on and in range, the Soundlink will power on automatically and route sound through it. It's extremely annoying. Before the 1.3.3 update I'd always turn off the Soundlink when I didn't want to use it. Now I have no choice but to use it if I must have bluetooth on when I need to use bluetooth for other devices 😞

The workaround I read about said to switch to AUX.. but even when I do that about 10 seconds later the Soundlink will switch right back to Bluetooth and all available devices will connect...

ugh

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi all 

Thanks for the question.  In our latest update we enabled a feature that allows and previously connected speaker to be powered on remotely via the Connect App. This feature is primalily intended for ease of use when creating a Stereo or Party mode pairing, but will also work when you drag to connect and compatible speaker within the app.

Hope this helps

Tony

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Adding that feature for those use cases might make sense for those particular use cases, but it's also causing unintended problems for the rest of us that don't want/need this feature and keep having problems because of it.

When I turn on my laptop and want to connect to my Bose wireless headphones, I don't want my Soundlink to turn on (since I have them both paired to my computer). That causes problems of skipped audio (interference) at times and is an unncescary waste of battery on the SoundLink. I was trying to play a game last night and my audio kept cutting out because the SoundLink kept trying to pair to my computer... which it didn't used to do before the 1.3.3 update because I kept the SoundLink off. I could unpair and later re-pair the devcies to the SoundLink, but it an unnceccary burden I didn't have to do before.

Another annoyance... If someone at my home goes in and out of the house with their paired device, the SoundLink will keep informing me that a device was connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected, etc even when I thought the SoundLink was off. I kept the SoundLink off most of the time since I use sparingly, but now my SoundLink is on ALL the time and devices are constantly turning it on and connecting and powering it back on.

Keep the feature, but allow us to disable it with the Connect App... please.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

This is a new feature introduced in firmware v1.3.3 helping you to maximize the use of your BOSE Revolve speakers.

See the thread here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Bluetooth-Only-Speakers/Soundlink-Revolve-Randomly-Turning-On/m-p/1099...

The changelog refers to the App, but the feature is active even without the use of iOS or Andoid devices. Any previously with your Revolve paired device is able to turn on the Revolve through activating the Bluetooth module in your sound device (smartphone, tablet, PC, MacBook, FireTV ...).

The only way to not let the sound be flipped over to the Revolve is by pressing the AUX button on the Revolve. Then the blueotth sound module is not active and you don't have to deal with sound coming instantly from your Revolve, if you don't want that. If you do want it, press the Bluetooth button on your Revolve and let it connect. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2018

The update must be broken. 

My Soundlink Resolve got updated yesterday. Since then the Bose SOundlink Resolve has been automatically connecting to the MacBook Pro that provided the update every 5 mins DESPITE the fact that the MBP has been in sleep mode.

This is a massive software fail.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi!

This new behaviour is caused by a new feature in the firmware version 1.3.3. This version is being put on your Revolve/Revolve+ when you update to the current version. To date there is no workaround - except a downgrade. No word about a "bug" from Bose either ...

See my post here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Bluetooth-Only-Speakers/Soundlink-Revolve-Randomly-Turning-On/m-p/1181...

HermannS