P Mikkelsen
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

New Soundlink Mini II - best way to charge

I just bought a Soundlink Mini II to replace my old Soundlink Mini, that had battery problems. The documentation that came with the new speaker is sparse at best. I have two questions regarding charging.

1. What is the best way to keep the unit charged? I read somewhere that it was bad for the battery to leave it plugged in all the time. So... let it run down completely, then charge completely, then unplug??
  2. This unit came with a different type of cord from my old one. It's got a regular USB plug on one end and a mini-USB on the end that plugs into the speaker. Is this a standard cord, or is it proprietary to Bose? I ask because it is quite short. I have a longer one that came with an android (Samsung) cell phone.

I appreciate any advice! Woman Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: New Soundlink Mini II - best way to charge

Author Accepted Answer selected by P Mikkelsen

Hello P Mikkelsen,

Many thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community.

The SoundLink Mini II does indeed feature a redesigned power port. It uses the standard Micro USB cable, so if you lose the original cable - a replacement can be easily found as it is not proprietary. 

With regards to charging, I would recommend not keeping it plugged in constantly. Regular discharging and charging will help ensure a healthy battery. 

@Public_User_Name, I'm sorry to hear you are having power issues. A solid red light indicates low power, whereas a flashing red light indicates a battery error. If you haven't already, please try to update the firmware by visiting this link.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Public_User_Name
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

I'd like to know as well.  I've had a SoundLink Mini 2 for more than a year, and it was on it's docking station, constantly plugged in.  No problems and a great speaker.  A few months ago, it would not charge.  I tried all the steps found in the Bose Community to no avail.  I had to ship it back to Bose, who repaired it and sent it back about 2 weeks later.  The Bose representative told me that I should *not* leave it continually plugged in, that is bad for the battery.  So I have basically started just charging it overnight now.  Speaker has worked great since, until this week.  It now has the dreaded solid red battery light.  It won't charge at all.  So very disappointed.

P Mikkelsen
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

What you describe is EXACTLY what happened with my first Mini Soundlink. I had hoped this issue was resolved with the Soundlink II, but now I wonder. And it's the main reason I am asking this question now. I love the sound of this speaker, and I don't want the same thing to happen with it. Woman Sad

Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by P Mikkelsen

Hello P Mikkelsen,

Many thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community.

The SoundLink Mini II does indeed feature a redesigned power port. It uses the standard Micro USB cable, so if you lose the original cable - a replacement can be easily found as it is not proprietary. 

With regards to charging, I would recommend not keeping it plugged in constantly. Regular discharging and charging will help ensure a healthy battery. 

@Public_User_Name, I'm sorry to hear you are having power issues. A solid red light indicates low power, whereas a flashing red light indicates a battery error. If you haven't already, please try to update the firmware by visiting this link.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

View solution in original post

P Mikkelsen
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks! Woman Happy