Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Revolve Keeps Switching Back To iPhone

I own many bose devices such as a QC-35, soundlink, etc.  When I connect them with Blutooth and start a phone call on my iPhone 7+ w 11.4, the audio switches automatically to the Bose device.  When I make a phone call with the Revolve (w. up to date firmware and I have factory initialized it a few times during troubleshooting and it is only connected/defined with my iphone), the output audio switches automatically back to the internal iphone speaker.  I have to manually click the third option to send the output back to the revolve - sometimes it will switch back a second time and I have to once again manually select the revolve.  Once I hear the output on the revolve, it works as expected and does not switch again.  BTW - interestingly, when it switches back to the internal iPhone speaker, if I let it ring and then connect, I will hear the connection 'beep' on the revolve, but the audio continues on the iphone unless I manually switch it.

I am thinking it is a firmware and/or Apple ios issue though Bose is convinced it's my particular revolve and it needs to be sent back and replaced.

Anyone hear of or otherwise experiencing this issue?

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: Revolve Keeps Switching Back To iPhone

Hello joelirwin,

Thank you for reaching out us on the community. We are sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

Have you toggled with your call routing settings? 

This can be checked under Settings>General>Accessability>Call audio preference.

Also, have you tested phone calls with another mobile device?

Please check back with us when you can.

Thanks again and take care!

Ashley - Community Support

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

1. My call audio routing is set to "automatic" - I changed it to "Bluetooth headset" with the same result.

2. I have many Bose devices. Interestingly, this switch behavior/problem does NOT occur with my two headphones - a QC-35 and a Soundsport but DOES happen with my two blutooth speakers - a Soundlink Mini and the Revolve.

I care only about my iphone and not another since it is the only phone I have.  Are you suggesting the problem is an iPhone/Apple issue or "expected behavior" for all your blutooth speakers?   The inability for it to automatically switch to the speakers as it does for the headsets is in my opinion 'problematic' since I now have to do it manually.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

@joelirwin thank you for updating us. When you receive a call, tap the Multi-function button on the speaker to answer and the call audio will automatically route through the speaker.  

Hope that helps.

Thank you again,

Mohsin 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

That is not my problem.  Incoming call connect fine.  It is outgoing calls.  When I dial, the audio keeps switching back to the iphone and I have to select the Revolve again and often twice since it switches back a second time.  This DOES NOT happen with any other Bose headphone but ALSO happens with my other BOSE speaker. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hello @joelirwin, thank you for that clarification. I was able to test this with my co-worker's iPhone running 11.4. We dialed out and the phone call defaults to the Revolve and stays like this for the duration of the call. 

Let's try forgetting the speaker from your phone's Bluetooth, and performing a speaker reset:

1. Unplug the speaker from power and turn it on. The battery must be charged to do this.
  2. Press and hold the Multi Function Button for 10 seconds.
  3. Release and try the speaker again.

Can you try re-pairing and test this again?

Thank you again, 

Mohsin

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

First of all, I have done it multiple times with the same result.  Secondly the same behavior is happening on BOTH my spreaker devices also the Soundlink Mini and not just the Revolve.  It is not happening with my two Bose ear products - soundsport wireless and QC35.

In my mind, it is not a problem specific to just the revolve but in the shared microcode for both of the speaker devices I own.

Have you been able to reproduce the problem with either the Soundlink Mini or the Revolve?  Have you tested it with an environment matching mine - an iphone 7+ 256 GB with IOS 11.4?  Perhaps the model iphone itself may have something to do with it.

EVERY bluetooth device seem to be switching fine including the phone support in my 2011 Toyota Prius.  I am personally thinking the issue could be on the iphone end but as you know, Apple would not be likely to fix anything even if we show the problem is in the iphone and not your device.

Also remember the problem is NOT connecting to the Revolve - when I start the call, it switches to teh revolve and then back to the phone.  I then need to select the revolve again and most of the time it will switch back to the phone.  Normally the selection will stick on the third try.  That tells me that one of the two devices is not accepting the switching request.  It's just we don't know who.

The action you described above which did NOT work for me is about getting the two devices to pair and recognize each other initially.  That is NOT the problem here.  They are paired, but one of them is refusing the switch the first two tries.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

@joelirwin thank you for the update, and sorry for any misunderstanding. The troubleshooting step I offered was to refresh the Bluetooth connection between your iPhone and the Revolve. We have seen that this can help resolve some issues. 

My initial test was with an iPhone 7(Storage unknown) running 11.4 which is paired to a Revolve speaker. We dialed out and the phone rang through the Revolve speaker. The phone call was heard through the speaker and never switched back to the phone.  

I tested on a few other devices, including an LG v 10, iPhone SE (11.3), S9(Android 8), each attempt I separately paired them with a Revolve speaker and made a test call. This time all three phones played the call through the phone and not the Revolve first. If I wanted to hear the call through the Revolve, I can switch it to the speaker manually using the phone. We did not experience the call audio switching back to the phone at any point. The call audio was streamed through the speaker for the duration of each call. 

If there is anything else you need help with, please let me know. Also, should you feel any concerns about your speaker, I encourage you to contact your local Bose Support for further assistance. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

sorry to hear you could not duplicate the problem.  I have the exact same issue on both the Revolve and the Soundlink Mini.  I have called support twice on this so far and their only solution was to return the speakers for an exchange.  This is a consistent problem for me on BOTH speakers. About the only thing I did not troubleshoot was trying the same thing with my wife's iPhone 6.

I can try that and convey it here.  But let's say it turns out her phone works fine.  Then either I have to then determine what is it about my iPhone that causes the issue and unless it is a setting issue, Apple will likely say it's not their issue, it's Bose's.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Some more information -

1. I called Apple support and they suggest a reset of all data.  tried it - nope

2. Then I manually deleted all the bluetooth devices and added back just the revolve - nope

3. Then I borrow my wife's iphone 6 which had just a car as the bluetooth device and added the revolve - nope.  btw - she is also on ios 11.4.

The only thing that has 'thrown me off' is that you were able to connect to a revolve and then make an outgoing call and the sound/audio came automatically from the revolve.  I would like to know how you did it.  I was starting to believe that what was going on was 'expected behavior' for ios 11.4.

BTW - I posted the same issue to the Apple forum.  There were two suggestions about changing accesibility settings - didn't help and that I may have had defined too many blutooth devices - nope since I erased them all and had the problem with even just one.