camme
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Sound link Revolve to laptop connection fail

Hi, 

Suddenly my Revolve speaker doesn't connect to my laptop anymore, while it still works with my cell phone. I've tried resetting the speaker and other tips from the help section, no result so far. I rebooted my laptop recently for other reasons, but even after that the connection worked. As from today I can't connect them anymore. I'm clueless...

Camme

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Sound link Revolve to laptop connection fail

Hi Camme, 

Thank you for reaching out, welcome to the community. 

I am sorry you are experiencing trouble when connecting to your laptop. Just to help us out when troubleshooting this, please can you confirm what laptop you are using? 

As you have already tried resetting the speaker, I would also suggest going to btu.bose.com to see if you speaker has any updates available. It could be your laptop has recently been updated, in which case having the latest software on your speaker should definitely help. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Keith_L - Community Support - 

camme
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi,

It's an Acer Aspire V3-771G. 

Also, I already tried to update the speaker's software through that link, but when linked with the cable and about two seconds in the update the speaker turns itself off. Then I get the error message "Hmm... we lost connection to your product. Try unplugging your product then plugging it back in."

Plus when trying to add a device I see "driver error - unknown usb device (link in compliance mode)"
Highlighted

Thanks for letting us know Camme.

That's very odd, can you please check if you have any anti-virus software or firewalls enabled that could be preventing the updater app from running correctly. Should none of these be effecting this, I would suggest trying plugging the speaker in via another USB port. 

We can also perform the update using the Bose Connect app on your phone, over Bluetooth, if we are unable to complete the update via the USB connection.

If the update doesn't allow us to reconnect to your laptop, as the speaker is working fine with your cell phone, it may be worth reaching out to Acer as the issue does appear to be with the laptop. 

All the best.

Keith_L  - Community Support  - 

camme
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

ok,

let's try to update through the app then. I've tried every usb port and deleted the windows 8.1 bluetooth driver and downloaded the 8.0 version. Although I could connect them after the windows update, yesterday it was still working while today it doesn't any longer and nothing changed. Unless you can confirm that at a given moment in time the speaker stops working with only my laptop because it needs a software update. 

I just downloaded the bose app today but I don't seem to find a way there to do the update. Also, another issue, why is it constantly transferring firmware? It goes to 100 % and immediately starts back from 0 %,  and again and again...

Hi Camme

It's not necessarily the update being required that is stopping the speaker from connecting to your laptop, it was just a possibility as having the latest firmware on the speaker improves the compatibility, especially if the laptop has been updated recently as well. The reason I mentioned it initially was as you said the speaker was working fine with the cell phone, which suggested this was something related to the laptop. 

The firmware should not be constantly transferring and it suggests that something is going wrong during this process. To get it out of the update cycle it is currently in we should factory reset the speaker. 

To reset to the factory default settings 

1. Turn the speaker on
  2. Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds
  3. Once complete, the Bluetooth indicator flashes blue and a voice prompt prompts to select a language

Once this process is complete you will need to reconnect your speaker to your Bluetooth devices and it should be able to process the update correctly.

Kind regards,

Keith_L - Community Support - 

camme
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi, 

I already reset the speaker before, tried it again and the firmware still hasn't downloaded. So I will probably delete the app because I don't see the value since the speaker has always worked perfectly with my cell phone.

Can you please ask around what laptop settings/updates could be interfering with the speaker bluetooth connectivity? I've tried many things through doctor google but I still can not connect and I'l still clueless...

Thanks 

Hi Camme,

Thank you for your update. Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing connection issues with your Soundlink Revolve since your computer update. It would be evident that this is a compatibility issue with your third party device. Unfortunately this is out of our control, I would suggest you reach out to Acer who can assist you further as your speaker is working whilst connected to other devices. 

Many thanks,

Tegan M - Community Support 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Tegan_MWith all due respect, this is one of the major 'complaints' that customers have here.  Bose is 'punting' the ball to the vendor and we and Bose both know the vendor will due absolutely nothing since other BT devices work fine with their machines.  I have had problems with Bose on my Dell laptop (which uses Intel BT hardware).  Firstly, I tried multiple times for Dell to help and they actually tried but came to the same conclusion that it Bose's issue since other BT devices work fine.

I get the complexity of this issue since it can be anything.  In fact, a few months ago, I had an 'issue' with my laptop where NONE of my Bose devices would even get discovered.  And when I say none I mean not QC35, not Revolve (two of them), not Soundsport, and not Soundlink Mini II.  I was able to get a USB Dongle by SMK (called Nano) to work which was my workaround.  So I was willing to 'blame it' on the integrated BT hardware by Intel but that didn't get my problem solved since none of Bose, Intel, Microsoft or Dell were willing to help me figure it out.  I eventually restored my laptop to a disk 'image' from June 30, 2018 and then suddenly everything worked again (with an older Intel BT driver set).  But still, I do not know what happened between 6/18 and 2/19 to stop it from working.  Maybe a windows update but I uninstalled about two years back with no impact.  Could have been some new application software or application update that impacted only Intel BT but not the dongle BT? 

@cammeYou can continue to troubleshoot as I did but re-initializing everything, reinstall current, olders and newer BT drivers, and uninstalling windows updates.  Also keep in mind that even if your Bose is discovered and added with drivers, there are still two services that need to be started - one for HFP (Voice over IP) and one for A2DP (Stereo streaming).  Not starting A2DP will leave you with the impression that BT is not installed or working properly.  It may also be possible your devices are installed but grayed out/offline.  If that happens, get rid of things on both ends and start again.   When all else does not work, you can as a last option, disable the BT hardware on your computer (that is important) and  get a BT dongle like SMK Nano with CSR drivers that works for my Dell (about $15 on eBay).

So these symptoms are problematic since they do not pertain to a single vendor (PC and BT) or a single OS (Win 7 and Win 10).  The customers here would like Bose to take ownership since it's their devices that don't work and not the PCs and BT hardware on those PCs.  But as you have done here "Bose punts".  That leaves customers with the 'message' that they care manly for smart devices and not PCs, Macs, and laptops of each.