nbedworth
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

SoundLink Mini firmware update bricks device, useless tech support

In an attempt to update my SoundLink Mini with the latest firmware, the results so far have been a complete failure. The Bose software doesn't recognize the device, although Windows 10 makes the appropriate "beep" when the USB cable is connected. I'm trying to install Bose Bluetooth speaker update 1.1.5829.
Presently the Charge, Bluetooth and Aux LEDs are blinking, but the device can't be turned on.
Technical support (calling on the US weekend) is completely useless. They fundamentally don't understand English, they are blasting radios in the background, and the calls keep dropping after 3 minutes. You have to repeat everything 3-4 times before they "get it", for example, they don't seem to know what a SoundLink Mini is.
This is not the kind of experience I expect from Bose.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted

Re: SoundLink Mini firmware update bricks device, useless tech support

Thank you for reaching out to us.
The software update we have available on our Website is intended for the SoundLink Mini II model. This update will not load or interact with the original SoundLink Mini speaker at all.  If you own the original model and have it currently stuck in update mode, try holding the mute button for 15 seconds to force a hard reset.
We apologize for the experience you describe with our phone support. If your speaker is still non-functional after this step, please let us know and we will arrange to assist you further.
Thank you again.
nbedworth
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

Dear George,
Thanks for the detailed solution. FYI it was (eventually) possible to get the SoundLink Mini to reset and become operational again by restarting my laptop with the USB cable still connected to the speaker.
http://worldwide.bose.com/downloads/en/web/bose_bluetooth_speaker_download/page.html If you go to this link, notice that it apparently references all SoundLink wireless speakers. It might be helpful to mention that the firmware update only applies to the Mini II.
Now, are there any other firmware updates available for my product?
Nick

Hi Nick,
Glad to hear things are working again! We appreciate the feedback regarding the update page. Generally reaching that page requires a click through from updates.bose.com where the series II is mentioned, but more clarity is always a good idea.
There are no updates currently available for the original SoundLink Mini. Are you having trouble with the speaker which you are trying to resolve via an update? Perhaps we can advise you further.
Thank you.
Foureasts
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 27, 2016

Pull the battery. Only way I know to kill the brick.
Foureasts
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 27, 2016

George. I have a soundlink speaker that does exactly the same. Tried update on Mac and PC Win10 with same result. Nothing happens. Advice??
bawrites
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

FYI - this issue still has not been updated or corrected on their website.  

I have an original Soundlink Mini - and went through the same process other owners have had (the BOSE website DIRECTED me to the application download page by my serial # - and did not redirect to a "firmware updates are not available for your model" page - which it should.

My speaker has been "initializing" since Thursday, and I've sent two unanswered e-mails to Bose's support since then.

I'll try some of the steps I've seen in the conversation above, but am very disappointed that a company with as much clout and capability to produce great products has such a poor response to an issue that has clearly been pointed out.  

I should not have to google for an answer to something that should be this simple.

bawrites

Thanks for the post. At this time it looks like the best thing would be for you to contact your local Bose support here. Click on your country, scroll down to " Contact Us"

Please come back and update us. we are here to help.

Tony

J L
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2017

I need help with stopping the speaker from turning off by itself with a full charge and plugged into an outlet it turns on  in 5, 10, 15 minutes or 3 minutes there's no limit to win it would turn off. The speaker needs some kind of update to correct this problem there too many people with the same problem.

Hi J L,

Thanks for reaching out!  To clarify, the original SoundLink Mini no longer has updates. 

I have one troubleshooting tip for you, I 'd recommend completing a product reset.  To reset the speaker press and hold the mute button for 10 seconds and the LED's should briefly flash.  

If the reset does not help your issue then I would suggest reaching out to customer support here.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us".    

I hope this helps and please feel free to come back and update me if you can,

Shiloh_C