Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

SoundLink Mini (original) Bluetooth Version?

I have an original SoundLink Mini and have been scouring any documentation I can find trying to find out the Bluetooth version supported. My speaker works fine with most of my devices (Amazon Echo's, iOS devices, Windows 10 computers) EXCEPT my Google devices (Mini's and Home Hub). Pairing is flakey and it is often hit or miss to establish a connection. I also have a pair of old Nokia BH-604 headphones that behave the exact same way with my Google devices (work fine with everything else). The best idea I have so far is the Google devices have issues with devices that do not support at least Bluetooth 3.0 (possibly 2.1 but I do not believe I have any 2.1 devices available to test). I have pair of JBL E40BT headphones that support Bluetooth 3.0 and they work with all of my devices including the Google devices. The Nokia BH-604's support Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. So the only device I have no data on is the SoundLink Mini.

Can anyone answer what version of Bluetooth the SoundLink Mini supports? Hopefully that will help me narrow down exactly what the issue is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SoundLink Mini (original) Bluetooth Version?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Aardvark

Hi Aardvark, 

Thanks for posting and your patience. So I have done some digging and can confirm that it is 2.1 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Hi Aardvark, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

The SoundLink Mini II uses Bluetooth version 3.0 (Compatible with 2.1 and later) 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Thanks. Can I infer that the original SoundLink Mini then is an older Bluetooth version like 2.0? I assume the "II" upgraded the Bluetooth support to a newer version.

Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by Aardvark

Hi Aardvark, 

Thanks for posting and your patience. So I have done some digging and can confirm that it is 2.1 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Thanks for getting the Bluetooth 2.1 version number for me. I was digging everywhere and could not find it anywhere in the documentation, official Bose sites and product reviews. It pretty much confirms my suspicion that Google's "Home" devices do not play nice with devices that are lower than Bluetooth 3.0.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2019

So is it not possible to pair the original soundlink mini with my echo dot? I have been trying for a couple hours. Ugh.
Highlighted

Hello donsball13, 

It should be possible to pair the speaker to your Echo Dot. With Bluetooth versions, even if they are of a more modern standard, they are generally backward compatible with other devices running earlier versions. There are instructions available on Amazon that can talk you through performing setup of Bluetooth speakers with the Echo Dot.

Kind regards,

Jeff G

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2019

So I'm correct in saying there is no software update for the Bose Soundlink Mini (1st edition)? I've done a reset of both the Bose and The Echo Dot yesterday and it's still not connecting. Everything I'm finding on Amazon doesn't seem to work either.
Highlighted

Hey Donsball13, 

I can confirm no firmware updates were released for the SoundLink Mini.

If you haven't already, please ensure you have fully cleared the device list on your speaker by holding the Bluetooth button for around 10 seconds. You will hear the speaker make a beep-boop sound upon clearing. Additionally, a reset can be performed by pressing and holding the mute button for 10 seconds. The speaker will begin to flash its LEDs and will go off once complete. 

On the echo device, you can perform setup within the Alexa app. The following instructions have been copied from this page on Amazon. 

Before you begin:

• Set your Echo and Bluetooth speaker at least three ft (one m) apart.
  • For best results, choose a Bluetooth speaker certified for use with Echo devices. To learn more, go to Supported Bluetooth Profiles for Echo Devices.
  • Turn on your Bluetooth speaker and turn up the volume.
  • Disconnect other Bluetooth devices from your Echo. An Echo can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time.

To connect a Bluetooth speaker to your Echo:

1. Turn on pairing mode on your Bluetooth speaker. For more information, refer to the user guide for your Bluetooth speaker.
  2. In the Alexa app, select the Devices icon. (looks like a house, with a toggle switch.)
  3. Choose your device.
  4. Select Bluetooth Devices.
  5. Select Pair a New Device.
  6. When a list of available devices appears, select your Bluetooth speaker and follow the instructions on the screen.

Tip: To connect to a previously paired device, say, "Connect." Your Echo connects to the device that was last connected.

I hope this helps you in getting your speaker set up. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G