MoSail
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

Soundlink Color II auto powers on after latest sofware update when Bluetooth on phone is activated

After the latest software update my Bose Soundlink color II automatically turns on when any of the previous connected Bluetooth devices are turned on. Although this can a be preferred action in some circumstances it is not the case if you use the same Bluetooth device, as my mobile phone, for connecting to other devices like a Bluetooth headset or sports gadget.

And this morning on top of that it started a Soundlink Color II that I was charging, and not wanted to use at that time, when I enabled my Bleutooth device. I could only prevent that by removing that Bluetooth device from the known devices list in the Bose app.

The last reason why it blocks my prefered way of using the Bluetooth speakers I have.

I use them, I have got three in total and had planned to buy a fourth, in two different small rooms in my house where I more often don't use them simultaneously than I do use them simultaneously. I do want, as I was used, to decide which are  connected when by powering them On manually.

An option in the app to disable the autostart by an enabled Bluetooth device would be a good solution for me.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Soundlink Color II auto powers on after latest sofware update when Bluetooth on phone is activat

Hi MoSai

Thanks for posting. That is an interesting problem. Let's start if we can by resetting the speaker.,

To reset the system:

Note: A reset returns the system to its default state, which clears paired devices and language selection

1. Turn on the system
  2. Press and hold the Power button for about 10 seconds until the Bluetooth indicator blinks blue and a voice prompt instructs you to select a language

If you could give that a try and please let us know.

Best Regards

Tony

MoSail
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

Re: Soundlink Color II auto powers on after latest sofware update when Bluetooth on phone is activat

Hi Tony,

I have been through several time's of these resets including clearing the bleutooth list as guided by the Bose helpdesk on the phone.

They already communicated this issue with the development department and they say that it is the intended behavior. Bleutooth now supports awakening a connection with a 'sleeping' device since the receiving site, in this case the Soundlink Color II speakers, can keep the bleutooth in a very low power consuming state when the speaker is put off with the on/off button. And then if the Bleutooth on a device (let's say a smartphone) that earlier paired with the speaker is activated the Bluetooth receiving site on the speaker will recognize the smartphone and activate the speaker by the newly updated software .

Best Regards,

MoSay

rjtrowel
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 1, 2018

I have the same issue with the Revolve+ turning on automaticly.

Turning on autmaticly doesn't work with the way I use the speaker. (and drains the battery if I don't keep trying to shut it off)

If Bose is going to change the default behavoir then they should add an override option in the connect app so the user can revert it back.

It would nice to list changes in bevaior like this in the release notes.

MoSail
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

Hello Tony,

To respond to the automated request if I want to declare the issue as solved I want to rephrase or add to the my earlier remarks the following.

For me I would like to see it as outstanding bug fix request since this is essential change in functionality since/by the last update.

It is not the disired functionality I bought the boxes for and I can't change the boxes back to the desired settings.

Is there a way to reload the previous update for the boxes until a new update, either for the boxes or for the app, is released that might resolve the issue?

The technical bleutooth specifications supports this as optional behaviour  which should be handled by the receiving software as far as I understand them.

Best regards,

MoSai

aagresti76
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 13, 2018

Owner of a SoundLink Colour II,this "new function" is definitly irritating. 

I cannot switch on my laptop (eventually from sleep mode where it is going several time a day during my job) avoiding Soundlink to power on. Only solution I found is un-pairing but considering that also pairing with windows 10 is not so user friendly this function is definitly frustrating and make me say I bought the wrong brand of speaker.

Please evaluate the possibility to disable this function, eventually by App.

Kavil
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2018

Hi Tony,

Even i have done resetting my Color 2, several time after last update but couldn't resolve the problem.

Hi Kavil

Thanks for the post. If resetting doesn't work I would suggest contacting your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us" 

Hope that helped

Tony-Bose Support

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi!

This is a new "feature" that helps you to easily turn on your SoundLink. It has been introduced in Firmware 1.3.3. Technically the "Bluetooth Low Energy" module is looking for know devices and if it finds one of it, the SoundLinks gets powered on. The problem is also with the SoundLink Revolve and Revolve+ (we have an ongoing discussion here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Bluetooth-Only-Speakers/Soundlink-Revolve-Randomly-Turning-On/td-p/109...).

You have multiple options now:

1. Reset the Bluetooth list on your SoundLink device everytime you wish to turn it off through the "Off" button. Yes, you have to pair it every time you like to reuse it

2. Turn off all of your Bluetooth modules in your devices that have been paired with your SoundLink

3. Switch to AUX and wait until the SoundLink is shutting down by itself (use a short period timer thorugh the App). Be advised, that the SoundLink is powered on again if it "sees" a known Bluetooth device. But as you are in AUX mode it will not connect and turn off after a short time. Additionally you may turn off the voice prompts (in on-mode press "+" and "-" until you hear "voice prompts off" so you only get "beeps" when the SoundLink powers on

4. Return it to your dealer in hope you get a pre 1.3.3 firmware. DO NOT update it to 1.3.3

These "options" are meant for real - no kidding!

It is so frustrating!!!

HermannS

MoSail
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

Thank you for replying HermannS,

As you indicate in the end these 'for real' options are nice to know and thanks for the link to the other ongoing discussion.

But I will contact local support to let them know this can't be the final solution in my opinion. Also because I have found speakers of another brand that do exactly what I mention in the proposed solution above in my second message, enabling or disabling the auto powering on by a bluetooth device through a setting in the app.

I will follow the other discussion from now on as well.

Best regards,
MoSail