Neetso99
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 29, 2016

Soundlink Color II will not power up or charge

I got a blue Soundlink Color II for Christmas and I've been using it frequently since then. I've had it on and playing for some time and I left my room for a while to eat dinner. When I came back, it was off and wasn't playing anything. I figured that it was dead so I plugged it up and the lights aren't coming up to indicate that it's charging. I figured that something must have been wrong with the cord and so I tried switching it out but still nothing. The speaker isn't showing any signs of function whatsoever. I searched the internet for answers and even checked to see if the software was up to date, which it is.

I called support and was on hold for 30 minutes. I've always loved Bose but this is the worst experience I've ever had. Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could be wrong with the speaker or how I could get it to turn on again?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Color II will not power up or charge

Hi Neetso99,

Unfortunate to hear about your troubles. Thank you for being a long time Bose consumer. We understand it can be frustrating sometimes for being on hold for that long. This time of year the call volume can be higher than usual. We do appreciate that you have done some troubleshooting yourself. Let's perform a few more troubleshooting steps so that we completely covered all the bases.

Let's reboot the system's processor. Even though its powered off, the system maintains a level of standby power. This removes all power and reboots the system.

Connect the speaker to power again. Press and hold the Multi-function button for 10 seconds. While continuing to hold the button, unplug the speaker from power. Then release the Multi-function button.

Re-connect it to power. 

We understand you made sure the software was up-to-date. Could you confirm you did it through a computer and checked with the Bose updater found here?

Give these steps a try. If the issue continues to persist, we believe there is an issue with the system and contacting your local Bose support would be the next best approach for this.

Click here if you need contact information again

Hope this helps

Mohsin

Tim C
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2016

I had this same exact problem with a brand new speaker.

The steps recommended by Mohsin worked and it is now charging.  Thanks!

SteveZ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 8, 2017

Mohsin,

I had exactly the same problem as the original poster with my nearly new Soundlink Color II, it went completely dead and didn't respond to charging or pushing any button. It occurred after I packed it in a checked suitcase for a holiday trip, and I wondered whether low pressure or temperature in the plane's cargo hold had broken it.

In any event, after going though the manual, and online troubleshooting suggestions, I found this, and the procedure you suggested worked. I went back to see if I had missed this in the manual or the online help, and didn't find it. There is "resetting the speaker" which involves holding the on-off switch for 10 sec, which did nothing. The troubleshooting suggestions for "speaker won't turn on" with or without the battery have nothing about this. It's almost like you're keeping it a secret. 

Since the original poster, myself, and another poster had this happen, I suspect that it has happened to several other people. I strongly suggest you add this procedure to your troubleshooting list. It may even help reduce the volume of call-ins to support.

TAMMYNOLAN
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

I have the exact same problem.  Were you able to get yours fixed?

Neetso99
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 29, 2016

Unfortunately, nothing worked. I tried everything. I was, however, able to get a replacement. I had to wait about 2 weeks for a new one to ship. The new one seems to be working fine.
TAMMYNOLAN
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

I held down the multifunction key for exactly 14 seconds at a new outlet and it worked! Thank you!
Jmac8046
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

The reboot should definitely be in the troubleshooting guide.

My mini soundlink suddenly shut off and only lit up red and wouldn't charge. Rebooted as you said now it charges and turns on.
danamarlane
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

I'm having the exact same problem and I've tried everything - updated the software, etc.

Two weeks before Christmas, I purchased two of these speakers, one for myself (polar white), and one for my daughter (aquatic blue).  Naturally, her speaker worked perfectly right out of the box, while my speaker shows up after Christmas (more than a week late), broken. Anyone else having issues with the white speaker? I'm curious if this issue is limited to polar white speakers only (i.e., high volume production around Christmas). Ultimately, I'll be returning mine. Such is life.. 

BTW: The color of the white speaker isn't white, it's an awful shade of grey; which, is a completely separate issue. I tried to upload a photo, but that isn't working, either. 

aldelir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 18, 2017

I gained a SCII speaker as a gift for the new years eve, and I had the exact same problem of Neetso99. And as I live in Brazil I am kinda out of options for support in here. I have been trying to contact Bose tech support from Brazil, but besides wasting a bunch of time for nothing, the only answer they give is that their office is closed now. ALL THE TIME, are you kidding me?

Fortunately I've found this forum (thank you so much google) and with the steps described by Mohsin_S (thank you sir) my speaker is charging and working fine now, and I have just updated its version.

I am a long time Bose customer, and this was my first bad experience with them.