Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Soundlink Revolve+ Doesn't Auto Power On Connect

I saw a few Revolve reviews that suggested you can turn on the device even when it's in standby mode from the Bose Connect app. Is this supposed to work? I've never been able to do it and even though the app seems to discover a device (when the device is in standby), it just won't power on. I get a message in the app saying (in Swedish, so I'm paraphrasing here): "Hello there! The product is in standby mode. ..."

I've tried factory reset, unpairing and removing BT device and cleared data and uninstalled/reinstalled app, and upgraded firmware. Still, it never powers on without me physically walking to the speaker and pressing the power button.

Did I misunderstand things about this feature or is there something wrong with my unit?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve+ Doesn't Auto Power On Connect

Author Accepted Answer selected by djst

NO WAY. After the update, the app CAN wake the speaker up from standby!! How cool is that?

So to anyone watching this thread, the solution is to:

1. uninstall the app

2. power on the speaker with the cable unplugged

3. press and hold the multifunction button for 10 seconds until the speaker makes a loud "pop"

4. reinstall the app

5. power on the speaker again (it should switch to bluetooth discovery mode automatically, since it's now reset)

6. download and run app again, and let it discover the device

7. let the app download and install the update

8. turn off the speaker with the power button

9. try to wake it up from the app. this now works for me!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey djst!

Thanks so much for reaching out - that's a great question. I tested this out in the office for you and I can confirm that the only way to turn on the Revolve+ is by physically pressing the button.  There is no way to turn the speaker on from the application because the app needs an active Bluetooth connection to your device in order to see it and be able to share controls.  I hope that this helped clarify for you!  

Take care and have a wonderful evening,

Shiloh - Bose support 

djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Hi Shiloh,

Thanks for your answer. I have a hard time accepting it as the solution to this thread yet. Maybe you can help me investigate this a little further. It's not just that I've seen reviews giving the ability to turn the device on from the app as one of the pros of the device, it's also that the devices, when fully turned off, still show up on phones with bluetooth activated even if the speaker has never been paired on them. For example, my wife's phone has never paired with the speaker, yet, "LE-Soundlink Revolve+" shows up as a device on her phone. Why would it show up as a device if there's no way to actually engage with it somehow? Clearly it's broadcasting something to phones nearby!

Could it be that this is functionality only suppored on Apple phones? Or is there some other hardware compatibility issues that make it not work on some phones? Fwiw I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S8+.

djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Look at this review on Amazon.com for example - this is the top review of the device and the first one you see when clicking on reviews: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3HPBF2X4EOZ1G/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B06...

"Functionality: The Revolve+ has very convenient soft buttons on top. I also like the Bose Connect app which allows you to turn on your speaker without having to walk over to the speaker even when the speaker is not plugged in. The A1 needs to be manually turned on everytime you use it and the button can be hard to find."

acaurora
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2017

Hi djst, 

I had the exact same issue you had. When I first got my Revolve+, I could auto power on upon connect using the Bose app. Once I changed phones to an iPhone 8+, it stopped doing that. I was okay with that for a while, but then it began to bother me again after a friend of mine had the same setup and was able to turn his on. 

While it may seem redundant, I would suggest to try your procedures of reinstalling the app/resetting the speaker. Even though I have done it I swear a million times, after being recommended how to do it in my own post, it started working again. 

Best of luck!

djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Hey acaurora,

Great to hear that there are real people who ARE able to get it to wake up from standby via the app! That means I shouldn't give up. Seems they haven't done a ton of QA on this feature though. 😞

So I tried the hold-function-button-for-10-sec procedure, and then uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I then turned on the device, which made it switch over to bluetooth pairing mode, the app found it and now it wants to download a software update on it again (23 minutes ETA). Meanwhile, I tried to press the power button to power it off manually, then went to the app to try to wake it up again - no luck.

Not sure if I should just patiently wait for the update to run again before attempting it, but at least so far it's still not working. But now I know it's supposed to work - so thanks again for that.

djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by djst

NO WAY. After the update, the app CAN wake the speaker up from standby!! How cool is that?

So to anyone watching this thread, the solution is to:

1. uninstall the app

2. power on the speaker with the cable unplugged

3. press and hold the multifunction button for 10 seconds until the speaker makes a loud "pop"

4. reinstall the app

5. power on the speaker again (it should switch to bluetooth discovery mode automatically, since it's now reset)

6. download and run app again, and let it discover the device

7. let the app download and install the update

8. turn off the speaker with the power button

9. try to wake it up from the app. this now works for me!

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey folks!

We were not aware that this was a byproduct that came from the update - I have a request for you folks. Firstly can you all install the available update?  Would you be able to confirm for us that you are able to power your Revolve or Revolve+ on through the Connect app?

In addition, could you please let me know what phones you are using and what software versions they're running?  

Thank you all so much!

Shiloh 

acaurora
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2017

This has always been a feature of the Revolve+ that I have owned since I bought it when it first came out last year. It only temporarily stopped working for me when I upgraded from an iPhone 7+ to an 8+, which was remedied by reinstalling the Bose Connect app on my phone.

djst
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

+1 on what acaurora is saying. Although I've only owned the speaker for a few days, it's clear that the device is broadcasting on Bluetooth (LE) even when turned off because phones that have never paired with it are able to identify it when in proximity. So, it's extremely likely that this remote power-on feature has always existed. It's just that the implementation is somewhat flaky.

I'm using a fully up to date Samsung Galaxy S8+ fwiw. And to me it didn't work until I reset the device and applied the same update a second time.

Looking back at how I originally paired the speaker with my phone, one difference is that the first time I did it, I just used the normal Bluetooth setting screen where I paired the device from there. The second time I attempted it after the instructions here, I added the device directly *from within the Bose Connect app*. Could that be a clue here?

Cheers
David
Visa citerad text