joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve Party Mode Pairing Problem

@Graham WrightWe were both typing at the same time and your last response is TOTALLY congruent with my reponse.  Support can not fix your problem.  It requires a firmware change.  Unless the programmers have your exact configuration with Windows 10, there is no guarantee even if they recreated your scenario that their fix will have any impact on your scenario.  And those engineers (like with any tech company) do not deal directly with customers as say Dell and H-P would.  So even in the best scenario where they want to make a fix and do so and then you wait for all the fixes to be put together and in some number of months the firmware fix does come out, you may still have a Party mode issue.  Or they fix it for your scenario and along the way Microsoft issues some Windows updates or your BT vendor updates its drivers and the fix no longer works when the Bose firmware is updated.

And this is our 'best case' scenario.  Bose knows all this as well.  As some manager in development has to make a decision whether to assign resources to address the issue.....

What you say "that the developers are not up to solving this rather basic issue" could be the lack of communication between us customers and Bose developers: (a) they don't view it as 'basic" and/or (b) it is viewed as a multiple 'isolated' issue and not a single "global" issue (hope you understand the difference between these two).

Graham Wright
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2019

Then Bose are misselling - because nowhere on Amazon does it mention that Party/Stereo mode does not work with Mac/Windows.

And incidentally, I see from earlier posts in this forum that the problem was occuring with iPhones too.

Which leads me to conclude that Bose is increasingly cavalier and prefers to wing-it rather than protect its brand.

In my case they just lost a regular customer of ten years' standing.

@joelirwin wrote:

@Graham Wright  First of all, I am a customer I don't work for Bose.  Secondly, you are much luckier than I am.  I am still on Windows 7/64 and have never been reliably been able to get Party (or in my case Stereo) mode to work reliably.  My laptop is a business machine and when I am in front of my customers and 'stakeholders' (I need to demonstrate the scores for the films I compose for), I can not spend the time 'fiddling around' with trying to set up my two Revolve speakers to play the score in stereo.  So I either:
(1) use my iphone 7+ and do Stereo mode which WILL reliably work OR

(2) if I need to show the film on a larger display, I connect a stereo splitter (most splitters just split a mono signal like Party mode) and then wire the L and R ends to the speakers and use AUX sports of the Revolve's.  I just can't chance the Revolve's not working.

So I don't personally believe that the issue between Windows and the Revolves (or in fact with any of my Bose devices - I also have a QC35ii, Soundsport Wired and Soundlink Mini II) is specific to Windows 10.  And in fact, if you go to the other forum such as "Around and On-Ear Headphones" you will see many ongoing 'issues' of problems between Bose devices and Windows of any variety/version.

So IMHO here is what I know and believe:

1. BT 4.x does not to my knowledge provide a way for the simultaneous communication between a device and two others (or perhaps it does?).  I believe that Bose needed to implement Party and Stereo mode outside the BT 4.x standard.  My understanding is that multi-device communication is more within the standard of BT 5.x and so we will see BT 5.x devices more "in tune" with a party or stereo mode.  And I also believe that Bose had a much easier time to implement Party/Stereo mode between a smartphone and the Revolves since it had more of an opportunity to control the code/functionality.  Bose implements no applications or other code on a windows machine and so it depends on the BT implementation both within windows and the third party BT drivers (like the Intel card in my Dell laptop).
2. I am not the programmer but it seems to me that the code to control BT communications on a windows machine varies by 3rd party BT vendor and is NOT totally within the bounds of Windows and so there is this 'variability' that Bose has to contend with.  Communications between Bose and Windows machines is not consistent - how Intel communicates, for example may be different from how say a BT USB dongle will communicate.  So even if they all claim to be within the BT 4.x standard, there is no one or entity I know that certifies BT compliance and this would force Bose to have to create workarounds in the firmware for each of its devices for what could be dozens if not hundreds of different communications scenarios (some unique and some the same as other BT devices).
3. Bose has said over the last year or so in its various forums that it does not bring various Windows environments (and Mac machines) in-house for testing since there are too many to do so and has regularly punted the ball to Apple, Microsoft, the PC vendors like Dell and H-P and the third party BT vendors such as Intel.  These vendors of course punt back to Bose.  So nothing gets troubleshooted or done.

So for me, bottom line for Windows is (a) I use it with Bose at my own risk and if it does not work, my only non-troubleshooting option is to work with another BT OEM such as the SMK Nano USB Dongle with CSR drivers.  If the alternative works, OK and if not - I go with say a 'wired solution' and (b) Bose has neither the interest, the in-house expertise, nor 'direction' from management to address windows issues for ANY of its devices.   Their market is smart devices and not Windows or Macs.

So you are welcome to go down the route of trying to get Bose to address the issue.  If there is an existing functionality that we have missed (like turning off the Revolve completely by holding down the bottom button to kill the BLE signal) or a simple workaround, they will let us know.  IMHO I do not believe Bose has any intentions of making any specific changes to the BT implementation in the firmware of any of its devices anymore.  They now have BT 5.x in front of them to implement on the next generation devices and while I am on the outside looking in like you, I believe they are profit motivated and their management believes that the best use of their engineering and programming resources is to work on BT 5.x implementations and not to patch or otherwise fix BT 4.x ones.

Hi Graham Wright and Joelirwin. 

Thank you both for your posts. I have just investigated this issue myself into our testing room here with two SoundLink Revolve Plus Speakers and had a reliable connection across the speakers. They are both running at software version 1.5.0 and had no issues, the computer I was using was also running Window's 10.  

Can you both confirm that you have tested these speakers on a different PC? Could you please also try setting the speakers into Party mode and then into Stereo mode? 

I am sure that you both are going through the correct steps in setting up your speakers into both Stereo/Party mode, however I will repost those steps to ensure that this is the case. The steps for Party mode are as follows: 

• Turn on both speakers
  • Be sure one of the two speakers is connected to your Bluetooth device
  • On the speaker connected to your device, press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons simultaneously until you hear a voice prompt
  • On the second speaker, press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume – buttons simultaneously until you hear a tone. After approximately 10 seconds, “Party mode” is heard from both speakers, confirming you can play audio in unison from both speakers

And the steps for Stereo mode are as follows: 

• On one of the speakers, press the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons simultaneously until you hear "Stereo mode." You will hear “Left” from the left speaker and “Right” from the right speaker, confirming both speakers are playing as a stereo pair.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

>Then Bose are misselling - because nowhere on Amazon does it mention that Party/Stereo mode does not work with Mac/Windows

I do not believe in the U.S., technology companies have the same advertising restrictions as say drug companies (you know.... 🙂 spending half the advertisement tell us what could go wrong).  So Bose like any other tech company merely advertises the functionality and not itemizes the problems and issues.  And I bet you 99.something percent of the iPhones work fine 🙂  I know mine does.

BTW (off topic) blantant promotion for those interested: www.soundcloud.com/joelirwin  I actually use Bose equipment including 201 speakers in my studio and QC35's for my desktop and Soundsport Wired for my laptop for the creation of the scores.  But as I have mentioned in various forums here - these are consumer products and I have found that often BT connections to my creation tools (like Sonar and Sibelius) are inappropriate to insure synchronization between video and audio since the latencies are much too slow.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Hector_B  You have further shown and demonstrated my points with your response - thank you for them.  It seems to me that your 'environment' does not match Graham and mine and that is why we have different results from you.  As you have read here and in other forums - on my windows 7/64 Dell laptop, not only have I done all your troubleshooting but I have reloaded windows.  Again - our 'non-Bose' end consisting of Windows with a specific set of updates and drivers along with a 3rd party BT hardware with its set of drivers is not exactly the same as yours and that is why the behaviors are different.

The same holds true as you know for the 'issue' of the revolve when left in BLE / OFF mode will turn on for some Windows configurations when they boot and will not for others.  I have demonstrated that by disabling my Intel BT hardware and substituted a USB Dongle.

Bose codes to what it feels is the 'mainstream' BT solution / environment on the other end but as we all know - the other end 'varies'.

Graham Wright
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2019

Dear @Hector_B Hector,

Thanks for trying it out - I am glad it works for you.

It does not for me on my Dell Lattidue 5490 (with ll the latest firmware downloads from Bose and MicroSoft)

Clearly @joelirwin Joelirwin undestands these issues much better than I but it still seems VERY strange to me that Bose has had these issues flagged for two years and still has not sorted them out.

Meanwhile I have a very expensive orphan SoundLink sat on my desk and I am wondering why I blew £200 on it.

Hi Graham Wright, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. This is a very strange issue as the laptop that I tested this issue on was this exact laptop. 

I am sorry you feel this way, as suggested before  I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help. 

I am unable to assist further on this issue as we have been through the troubleshooting steps and I have escalated this issue to the Development team. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B