Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2017

The Soundlink Mini I loses bluetooth connection to Amazon Echo Dot after about 30 minutes

The Soundlink Mini I loses its bluetooth connection to the Amazon Echo Dot after about 30 minutes, and requires a manual re-connection to the Amazon echo dot every time, which depletes the joy of using either device. Meanwhile, the Soundlink Mini II that I own never loses the bluetooth connection with the Amazon Echo Dot, so it seems there has been some software change that sends a keep alive signal in the Mini II that is not happening in the Mini I.  I tried using a hard wired audio jack cable connector between the Soundlink Mini I and my Echo Dot to solve the problem, but the Mini I goes into sleep mode when connected via audio cables as well, which disconnects the device with the Amazon Echo Dot and requires a toggling of the AUX button to reconnect it. I also learned that the hard wired scenario is actually worse, because when the Soundlink Mini I goes to sleep mode and loses the  connection with the Echo Dot, the cable connection further prevents the Echo Dot's built-in speaker from functioning.  So everything goes completely silent, disabling the Amazon Alexa/Echo Dot voice from being audible.  Can Bose release a software update to fix this problem with the Soundlink Mini I (Since there appears to be a mini hdmi data port on the Soundlink Mini)  or is there another workaround to keep the Soundlink Mini I from going into sleep mode?  Either with a bluetooth or a hardwired audio jack cable connection?  Or is there a 3rd party device I could purchase as a workaround? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: The Soundlink Mini I loses bluetooth connection to Amazon Echo Dot after about 30 minutes

Hi XTOS,

Thanks for the detailed post. Unfortunately, there are no longer any updates for the Soundlink Mini I .  I have a this speaker and an Echo and have run into the same situation. I found that running an online radio station through the speaker in the background can prevent this.

Anyone in the community have any tips? 

Tony

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2017

Re: The Soundlink Mini I loses bluetooth connection to Amazon Echo Dot after about 30 minutes

Thanks for the suggestion. That could work for me for my living room Echo, but not for my bedroom Echo where I would want long periods of silence. I was trying to get my Amazon Echo Dot to play a 2 second sound every 29 minutes to prevent sleep mode, like a quiet nature or wind sound, but was unsuccessful. If you or anybody out there knows any tricks to get Alexa to play a quiet ‘keep alive’ sound for just a few seconds every 29 minutes, please advise. I’m not sure if there are any safety concerns around circumventing the sleep mode (like overheating?) but it would be nice if we could have more control over the sleep mode or even if the Echo Dot could wake up the speaker after it goes into sleep mode without having to manually power it up again. Perhaps Amazon could devise a fix, since it seems many Bluetooth speakers have this issue.