Using an S1 and a BOSE MICRO as a "multi output device" on a MAcBook pro 2015.

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer

Using an S1 and a BOSE MICRO as a "multi output device" on a MAcBook pro 2015.

Hi,

I have set up an S1 and a Bose Micro as a multiple output device on my Macbook Pro - Why you may ask? - well I wantred to check the feature out (stero image, noise etc) before I ordered another S1 and used them as a stereo out for itunes music / Logic/ Project ect...

Well the connecting bit worked but the two BOSE devices are out of synch and despite fiddling with the drift controls - they are always out.

Interestingly, if I create two other mutliple out devices. 1) The intrnal speakers on the mac and the S1 and 2) the internal speakers on the mac and the BOSE MICRO - with 1) they are perfectly in sync, with 2) they are out - wierd.....

Thoughts? Suggestions? ideas? Ideally I want the two BOSE working and delivering a clear stero soundstage before I buy another S1.... Thanks you in advance for the help.

Mark T

5 REPLIES

Re: Using an S1 and a BOSE MICRO as a "multi output device" on a MAcBook pro 2015.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing into the community again. 

I'm very interested in hearing how this works out for you. I personally do not have any experience with a multi-output device set up at the moment but invite anyone from the community to feel free to chime in with their experience.

Have you considered purchasing a second S1 from an authorized retailer for a live test? That way you have two identical systems to try and also have the option of returning if it does not work out for you. 

Just a suggestion but do let us know how everything works out for you. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Wistful Whisperer

Re: Using an S1 and a BOSE MICRO as a "multi output device" on a MAcBook pro 2015.

Hi Mohsin

Your thinking is spot on.

For now though - I did it the other way around - I borrowed another Bose micro - and as they use the same Bluetooth processing mechanism - the delay disappeared.

So the multiple output device works for a Bluetooth enabled stereo sound stage from a MacBook.

Second s1 on the way and I shall report back when have that setup with how it goes. If that is of interest ?

Cheers for now

Hello Mark,

Let us definitely know how it works with the second S1, would love to hear your experience with the pair.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Joel 

Wistful Whisperer

Hi,

update as promised. Headline - It works and sounds great - good stero image too. 

Details which may be useful.

Second S1 arrived. 

In my excitement to test I plugged in and paired - all good until I created the "multi-output device" in the Apple Midi App - then experienced that delay on one side.

Applying the "stop and go back tot the start of the process and check each step" debugging idealogy - I shutdown Macbook. Left the BOSE S1 to charge for 15 or so minutes.

This time I booted up the Macbook, Started both S1's and ensured the Macbook was Bluetooth connected to both. I then setup the "multi-out put device". This device then appears in the output list with "internal speakers" and the S1's separetely. I select the "multi-ouput device from the drop doiwn  and all fine, no delay.

This approach is not as simple as using the BOSE Connect app, but it does work very well and so far I have had no sound drift (the music stays in time), so have not needed to use the drift correction in the midi set up.

It is worth noting the Macbook volume is disabled - but the "in App" volume does work, whther it be Amazon Music or Itunes or Radio app etc.

Any questions let me know - happy to help if I can.

M.

Hello Mark,

This sounds like an amazing setup you have now!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Joel