Highlighted
Dan London
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

VoIP call support on Android

1) Will this EVER be fixed so that it works
2) Will Bose ever communicate in product documentation that it doesn't work

Very frustrated that my expensive Bose speaker doesn't support this (because they haven't implemented the HSP Bluetooth profile) and I've wasted loads of time trying to figure out how to get it to work.

How has it been known problem for years that no-one knows about? Must be a common problem given the amount of Android users there are, right?

Surely Bose could do better? Why don't they?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: VoIP call support on Android

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues however in order to provide you  assistance I would like to know:

• What product you have?
  • What applications are you using your product with?

Please let me know 

kind regards,

Prince O

Dan London
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Soundlink Revolve, latest firmware
Connecting to Samsung S8
Applications tested: Facebook messenger, Skype, WhatsApp call, Google meet, Google hangout.

Speaker is connected, media plays fine.
Initial call tone is played, speaker immediately says call disconnected and call routes back to phone earpiece.

Same thing happens midcall if you start on internal speaker and try to connect to Bluetooth.
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Thanks for confirming. The SoundLink Revolve supports Hands-Free Profile (HFP) and as such, any application using this to communicate data to the speaker should be supported. 

What Android version are you running? This sounds similar to a comparable thread HERE, whereby a customer was using Android 9.0 with the phone disconnecting from the speaker, although they were using a different device - a Google Pixel XL. Similar customer issues can be noted on the Android forums HERE, and some had success adjusting the AVRCP version from 1.4 to 1.3 under developer options for Bluetooth on their Android device. Have you tried using any other devices such as a phone or tablet to compare results?

Kindest,

Andy B

Dan London
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Hi there,
Thanks for the response. No joy toggling any developer options.
Yes it's the same behaviour as that other thread. I've just tested it with an S7 running Android 8 and a Huawei running Android 6.0. exactly the same behaviour in all of them. Speaker days "call ended" and audio gets routed back to the earpiece.

So it may be an Android bug, and it seems possible that other devices work because they also using HSP, or they are not implementing some of the call control options so not experiencing the problem.

I guess it's possible it worked at some point and an Android Bluetooth patch has broken it.

However from a couple of threads I've find it seems that this has actually been an issue for at least a couple of years - which is staggering to me as it sounds suspiciously like Bose aren't doing product or regression testing on Android (the widest used platform) or doing anything for their customers to own or resolve the issue.

Personally I would expect Bose to be finding the bug themselves, communicating to customers, and tracking a resolution. But maybe I'm expecting too much?
Dan London
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Pairing and media streaming works flawlessly btw.
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Dan London 

> Personally I would expect Bose to be finding the bug themselves, communicating to customers, and tracking a resolution. But maybe I'm expecting too much? 

I am a customer like you and I have been hanging out here since last Fall.  This is what I 'know' since then (IMHO)

1. This is a customer-centered forum.  The admin are useful in making some basic suggestions but as you can see, the suggestions are often a limited number of troubleshooting templates.

2. The admins do occasionally pass our information up the line but we have no idea what ever happens after that - there is no feedback loop at all

3. The admins are limited to what they can and can not say

4. We have no idea if any other Bose employee has ever lurked silently in this forum other than the admins.

5. The admins have never said here anything about what was accepted for future firmware inclusion or product modifications.  You will not know anything about changes until a firmware change announcement is made. And even then, you may not find out about all the changes - just some of the changes.

For example, in the other forum - customers have been complaining since 2017 about the QC35i headphones not turning off even with the switch off.  Bose recognized the situation throughout 2018.  I was told personally by the admins back in Nov., 2018 that engineering was testing.  The 'issue' impacts 100s if not thousands or more of the units.  It is a major impact.  And yet 6 months later, we have not heard a thing - not even that Bose testing has determined it is a defect/hardware issue.  Our own users/customers back December tested and discovered beyond a responable doubt it was a hardware problem with shifting contacts in the on/off switch.  And yet, here we are 5 months later without a peep from Bose.

So yes - what you ask for is what we all would wish for in terms of an effective customer loop with a manufacturer.  But the reality is that there is no communication, not at least here.