Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2019

2 L1 M2s with 2 B2s and 2 ToneMatch T1s: hooked up together!

This is my solution to running 4 vocals and 5 instruments though 2xL1-M2 units with 2xB2 and 2xToneMatch mixers.  I am part of a 4 piece band, no drummer.  4 vocals, 5 instruments: electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and fiddle, plus kick box.  total of 9 inputs needed.  We run half the band through each set-up.  2 vocals, 2 instruments through each system. The kick box we pair with the bass through channel 4/5 in one system.   We don't mind the instruments being stage located left and right, but we do want the vocals stage center.  So....we run a TRS to TRS cable from the auxiliary of each ToneMatch into the opposite Base Unit auxiliary "IN" using the master control in the Base Unit for control....We use the ToneMatch programmable auxiliary "OUT" volume control to output 100% of the vocals into the sister unit, giving the vocals a stage center presentation. And then we adjust the instrument volume aux out to act as a monitor.  We run the instruments between 60-80% volume out to add to the overall monitor effect and general stage presentation.  So, we end up with all 4 vocals through both units, and 100% of 2 instruments through each dedicated L1, and an additional 60-80% instrument presentation through the opposite L1 through the Base Unit aux IN.   We're still working on the balance but so far this has really worked well.  When we set up with only 1 L1-M2-B2 unit, we bring 2 ToneMatch mixers.  One ToneMatch will be through the direct Cat-5 cable. The 2nd ToneMatch will use a separate power cord (bose power cable for the ToneMatch) and then use the TRS-TRS cable out of the aux out and into the AUX in on the Base Unit.  This way I can keeping the Channel settings exactly as when we are using 2 L1 units.  I keep finding ways to love this system. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: 2 L1 M2s with 2 B2s and 2 ToneMatch T1s: hooked up together!

Hi wfs,

Thanks for telling us about your interesting setup.

wfs posted:

This is my solution to running 4 vocals and 5 instruments though 2xL1-M2 units with 2xB2 and 2xToneMatch mixers.  I am part of a 4 piece band, no drummer.  4 vocals, 5 instruments: electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and fiddle, plus kick box.  total of 9 inputs needed.  We run half the band through each set-up.  2 vocals, 2 instruments through each system. The kick box we pair with the bass through channel 4/5 in one system.   We don't mind the instruments being stage located left and right,

Check out the Cocktail Party Effect

I think you'll find that interesting.

but we do want the vocals stage center.  

I understand why you want to do this although I prefer to keep the vocals separated in space. Different approaches keep things interesting.

Check out The L1® Approach and the History of Amplification

So....we run a TRS to TRS cable from the auxiliary of each ToneMatch into the opposite Base Unit auxiliary "IN" using the master control in the Base Unit for control....We use the ToneMatch programmable auxiliary "OUT" volume control to output 100% of the vocals into the sister unit, giving the vocals a stage center presentation. And then we adjust the instrument volume aux out to act as a monitor.  We run the instruments between 60-80% volume out to add to the overall monitor effect and general stage presentation.  So, we end up with all 4 vocals through both units, and 100% of 2 instruments through each dedicated L1, and an additional 60-80% instrument presentation through the opposite L1 through the Base Unit aux IN.   We're still working on the balance but so far this has really worked well.  When we set up with only 1 L1-M2-B2 unit, we bring 2 ToneMatch mixers.  One ToneMatch will be through the direct Cat-5 cable. The 2nd ToneMatch will use a separate power cord (bose power cable for the ToneMatch) and then use the TRS-TRS cable out of the aux out and into the AUX in on the Base Unit.  This way I can keeping the Channel settings exactly as when we are using 2 L1 units.  I keep finding ways to love this system. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your setup and your thinking behind it.

Cheers!

ST