Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyvivian
Registered since

Mar 4, 2015

2 l-1 compacts better than one L-1S?

HI,
I am considering purchasing a L-1 system. I will use it mostly for house parties for less than 30 people and a lot of karaoke. I have tried a L-1S with B2 and loved it.
I notice that I can get 2 L-1 compacts for the same price as one L-1s. Would it be better to get 2 compacts to get the stereo effect?

Thanks for your advice..
4 REPLIES 4
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

Re: 2 l-1 compacts better than one L-1S?

Your gigs can be handled by 1 Compact. WI sometimes use 2 Compacts for larger rooms. Also. you have a built in back up if one goes down.

Buy the Compacts...you'll love'em.

AjandCarla
Class Entertainment
"music is neither new or old.....it just "is"
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Andyvivian,

Thank you for joining the Forum.

The Model 1S and B2 are going to give you GREAT bass response. This will be terrific for music with strong beats or lots of low end. (House music, Dance music) )

Two Compacts will give you stereo and while the bass will be very good, it might not be as motivating if you want to get people up to dance. It will still be VERY good.

Both would will be great for Karaoke, but you may find that the Model 1S is easier to manage with respect to microphone feedback. That's just because there's only one loudspeaker to manage compared to working with two Compacts. How well this works depends a lot on what you are using for the microphone/mixer. If you got a T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine (T1®) with your Model 1S and B2, I might be inclined to stick with that system.

Both options are more than enough for any musical occasion for 30 people that I can imagine.

You said that you would be using the system for house parties. Are planning to move the system to different locations? If so, then you might find the Compacts easier to move around. The overall weights
Model 1S with B2 - 94 pounds (42.6 kg)
Two Compacts (2 x 29 pounds) - 58 pounds (26.6 kg)

The biggest difference weight-wise is the B2 at about 40 pounds. Except for the B2, all the components for either system come in at under 25 pounds for the heaviest pieces.

If you ever want to use your system in a big space (where coverage is more important than stereo) then the Model 1S will serve you much better.

Are you able to go out and hear the Compacts at a local dealer?
andyvivian
Registered since

Mar 4, 2015

hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I have not tried the compact since the store does not have it now. I rented the L1-S with B-2 and loved it.

I use 2 wireless Shure SM58 mics with music sources from a DVD player, a MacBook Pro and a Karaoke player. I just bought a QSC TouchMix-8 that I am still learning to use all the settings.

After receiving different opinions, I think I will get a L1-S. Is it worthwhile to get the Tone Match engine and get rid of my almost new QSC TouchMix? Do I get much superior sound with it?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Andyvivian,

Sorry - I just noticed that you had asked another question.

I've recently had a little bit of experience with a QSC TouchMix-16 and it was very impressive. Having said that, I am a long time user of the Bose T1®, and I can tell you that the Model 1S was purpose-built to work with it. That is, the T1® and the Model 1S were designed to work together and all the best of the Model 1S (engineering and sound) are present in the design and intent behind the T1®.

The T1® will handle up to three microphone inputs. (There are three combo microphone/line inputs). So you're okay there. It also has a USB connection for the MacBook Pro. There is a combination input called Channel 4/5 that can accept your DVD player or Karaoke player (but not both at the same time). However, if you can convert one of them to mono, then you could use the third microphone/line input for that.

What the T1® has that you should really enjoy is ToneMatch® Presets for the microphones and backing tracks. You can read about those here:

ToneMatch®

I have used these Presets with lots of different vocalists with stunning results, and they are very simple to use.

Does that help?