Highlighted
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

2 nos Bose L1S , 2 nos T1 tone match ,Behringer X32, 1 no B2, 2nos B1

Hello Everybody,

I have a show coming up and plan to use the subject mentioned equipment. I have already verified that if I use the Behringer directly without the tone match there is a loud hiss. I have to use the Behringer as the T1 tone match inputs are not sufficient for the band. I plan to use the 2nos L1s as individual right and left speakers. Besides the band the system will also be used for DJ. I would like to know what would be the best configuration for connections and settings for the Tone match so that the overall setup would be good for the band and DJ. Also suggestions on the speaker placement would be helpful. the guests expected are within 250 to 300.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: 2 nos Bose L1S , 2 nos T1 tone match ,Behringer X32, 1 no B2, 2nos B1

Hi mjferns,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

Thanks for all the background information. That's helpful. Here are a few questions for you.

mjferns posted:

Hello Everybody,

Hello!

I have a show coming up and plan to use the subject mentioned equipment. I have already verified that if I use the Behringer directly without the tone match there is a loud hiss.

How are you connecting the Behringer X32 to the L1 Model 1S units?

• What outputs are you using on the Behringer X32?

Image result for behringer x32 outputs

• What types of cable are you using for the connections?
    • XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve  (these are preferred)
      OR
    • XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Sleeve (these could be the source of the hiss).
  • How long are the cables?
  • What is the L1 Model 1S Analog Input Trim setting?
    Model II Analog Input Trim.png

I have to use the Behringer as the T1 tone match inputs are not sufficient for the band.

What inputs will you have?

I plan to use the 2nos L1s as individual right and left speakers. Besides the band the system will also be used for DJ. I would like to know what would be the best configuration for connections and settings for the Tone match so that the overall setup would be good for the band and DJ. Also suggestions on the speaker placement would be helpful. the guests expected are within 250 to 300.

Thanks

Please provide the information about so we can give you informed answers.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

Hi ST,

Thanks for your quick response. I have the bigger version of the X32,  I plan to connect main outputs 15 & 16 (ie 7&8 of the smaller version) of the Behringer to the input channel 1 of tone match 1 and input channel 1 of tone match 2. Each tone match will be connected to their respective L1s so I will have right and left speakers.

I tried connecting the Behringer directly to the L1s using XLR to TRS 20 ft cable with L1s analog  trim at 5 and there is a  hiss which is well above the normal hiss. If I connect the Behringer via the T1 tone match then I hear the normal hiss which is acceptable.

I will have the following inputs:-

Vocal inputs 6

Keyboards 2 (each mono)

Acoustic guitar 1

Lead guitar 1

Bass guitar 1

Kick drum 1

Snare/ Hi hat 1

Wireless mic 1 for MC

DJ music left channel 1

DJ music right channel 1

When DJ is ON the band channels will be muted.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi mjferns,

You can use the T1 units as the interface to the L1 Model 1S units, but let's see if we can solve the hiss.

mjferns posted:

Hi ST,

Thanks for your quick response. I have the bigger version of the X32,  I plan to connect main outputs 15 & 16 (ie 7&8 of the smaller version) of the Behringer to the input channel 1 of tone match 1 and input channel 1 of tone match 2. Each tone match will be connected to their respective L1s so I will have right and left speakers.

Thanks for confirming.

I tried connecting the Behringer directly to the L1s using XLR to TRS 20 ft cable with L1s analog  trim at 5 and there is a  hiss which is well above the normal hiss. If I connect the Behringer via the T1 tone match then I hear the normal hiss which is acceptable.

The cables sound fine.  I would turn down the L1 Model 1S Analog Input trims to around 9-10 o'clock. Then turn up the output from the Behringer so the Signal/Clip is solid green with occasional flickers of yellow.

Let's see if this gives you a better signal to noise ratio (less hiss).

I will have the following inputs:-

Vocal inputs 6

Keyboards 2 (each mono)

Acoustic guitar 1

Lead guitar 1

Bass guitar 1

Kick drum 1

Snare/ Hi hat 1

Wireless mic 1 for MC

DJ music left channel 1

DJ music right channel 1

When DJ is ON the band channels will be muted.

Thanks for all the information. I can see - that's going to be a busy stage.

Please confirm - do you have L1 Model II systems or L1 Model 1S systems?

Are you running monitors?

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

PS - where are you?

Highlighted
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

I have the model L1 1s systems

Highlighted
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

I intend not to use monitors but keep the L1's slightly angled on each side of the stage so that the band members can listen to themselves.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi mjferns,

mjferns posted:

I intend not to use monitors but keep the L1's slightly angled on each side of the stage so that the band members can listen to themselves.

Sure, that should work.  Or if there's room, put the L1 systems behind the band at one-quarter intervals. Pan each input hard to one L1 system, the closest one - not panned up the middle. 

For example - if the band takes up 20 feet (6 meters), put the L1 systems at 5 feet and 15 feet (1.5 meters and 4.5 meters).  The L1 systems will be about 10 feet (3 meters) apart, and everyone should be able to hear themselves and each other.

If you have concerns about feedback, see Microphone Feedback for some tips.

ST