Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apm75
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2021

2 x L1 1s with 2 B2’s or 1 x Model 2 with 1 B2

Hi, 

I have an opportunity to purchase either 2 x L1 1s each with a B2, or 1 x L1 Model 2 with 1 x B2, both options would cost about the same price and both are in the same mint condition. 

I play in a duo consisting of Nord Stage 3 keyboard, an acoustic (non piezo) guitar and a vocal. 

I also play in a four piece band which is essentially the duo with a bass guitar, extra vocal and electric drum kit added. 

I started off by looking for a new Bose system for home rehearsal, but the more I looked the more I though I could possibly upgrade our live equipment also (currently a traditional FBT PA system - 2 x 15” powered bins with 4 x powered tops)

As a keyboard player my initial thoughts would be drawn to stereo, but does it really matter with the Bose line array system?

The 2 x B2’s are also an attraction for potentially using with the band set up. I understand I could add that to the model 2, but this wouldn’t maintain a similar cost for the basis of this comparison. 

Our audiences usually range from 30 - 40 people at an intimate wedding ceremony, to 250 - 300 people at a wedding reception or corporate event. We also tour as an original singer/songwriter act which also uses sub bass and synths etc. 

Venues range from small coffee shops to large theatres. 

I know that a lot of this would be subjective, but I’m keen to purchase a system, and the price of either system available to me is so good that I don’t want to miss out on a good deal 😊 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay_55
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2020

Re: 2 x L1 1s with 2 B2’s or 1 x Model 2 with 1 B2

Author Accepted Answer selected by Apm75

Hi Apm75,

You'll probably get half of the responses for the pair of L1 1S/B2 as you will for the single L1 M2/B2 system.  If it were me, since I owned a Model 1S with a B2 and played keyboards and acoustic guitars through it, I would go with the pair of Model 1S/B2s.  You also have the 4-piece band requirement.  With two L1s and a mixer you could control to which L1 you would want some or all of your different instruments and vocals coming from.  You could play your keyboards in stereo if you wanted.  I only had one L1 but all my keyboard types and effects sounded great through it.  For smaller gigs and your duo you could probably get by with one L1.  The L1 Model 1S is positioned by Bose as a system for an audience of up to 300, so its within your requirement range.  Maybe with two of them you have more headroom.  This is just my 2 cents.  I just prefer the idea of having two systems and the flexibility it offers.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Apm75
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2021

I’d be very grateful to receive any thoughts or comments from those who have had a similar journey or from those who have a wider knowledge than I currently have 😊

Jay_55
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Apm75

Hi Apm75,

You'll probably get half of the responses for the pair of L1 1S/B2 as you will for the single L1 M2/B2 system.  If it were me, since I owned a Model 1S with a B2 and played keyboards and acoustic guitars through it, I would go with the pair of Model 1S/B2s.  You also have the 4-piece band requirement.  With two L1s and a mixer you could control to which L1 you would want some or all of your different instruments and vocals coming from.  You could play your keyboards in stereo if you wanted.  I only had one L1 but all my keyboard types and effects sounded great through it.  For smaller gigs and your duo you could probably get by with one L1.  The L1 Model 1S is positioned by Bose as a system for an audience of up to 300, so its within your requirement range.  Maybe with two of them you have more headroom.  This is just my 2 cents.  I just prefer the idea of having two systems and the flexibility it offers.

View solution in original post

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hello Apm75,

I'm with Jay_55 on this one.  My wife and I perform as a duo, and we started with two Model 1's.  We added two Compacts about 5 years ago.  Depending on where we're performing, we always take both of one or the other.  We often work with stereo background tracks and the sound is marvelous!

If we're cramped for stage space, going solo, or performing for very small audiences I'll just use one tower.

As Jay_55 said, having two systems gives you more headroom.  It also maintains the "cocktail party effect" discussed many times on this forum.

Having two systems also keeps you performing should one system fail!

Does that help?

Apm75
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2021

This is really useful Jay, thanks for your input. However, I’ve done something quite impulsive and bought a Pro 32 with a Sub 2!

After I’ve explored it a little, I’ll give some serious thought to doubling up for stereo and the other benefits mentioned. 

Apm75
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2021

This is really useful Fish-54, thanks for your input. However, I’ve done something quite impulsive and bought a Pro 32 with a Sub 2!

After I’ve explored it a little, I’ll give some serious thought to doubling up for stereo and the other benefits mentioned.