Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

3 nights, 3 very different venues

We managed to score one of the large hospital parties this year, which is held annually at the local convention center, a 2000 seat indoor arena.

Our original guitar player, Jim Wyndham, agreed to fly in from South Carolina to perform with us, so, to make it worth his while, I lined up 2 other gigs around the big party.

Fortunately, we had played all 3 venues before, so we were somewhat prepared for the unique challenges of all 3 rooms.

Our first night was a Christmas party for a smallish crowd held in a large upstairs space in a Carpet Store. The side walls are concrete block, but there are a lot of sound absorbers in the room, so we had no trouble getting great tone throughout.

I've included a picture of us from years prior playing that space

Best Wishes,
Jeff
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Re: 3 nights, 3 very different venues

The second night was the big one, here is the room we played
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Having played the room before, and knowing the sound guy, we had several strategies in mind for filling the downstairs space. The house sound is notorious for being lousy.

We placed the towers about 10 feet behind us, knowing we would be pushing the volume. We put them very close together so that we could effectively monitor eachother. We basically constructed a wall of B1 modules across the floor behind the drum riser. This gave us almost an extra foot of elevation, and we placed each of the 4 L1 systems on top of the B1 Wall. We did have enough B1 Modules to allow one 3-high stack in between 2 towers for the kick drum. Then, we applied a bit of downward tilt to the towers. The whole idea of this was to get the biggest portion of the L1 tower's sound wave past the lip of the stage to the downstairs crowd (the upstairs was not in use for this party, which was a crowd of around 700).

We basically beat the sound guys to a soundcheck by getting our first song going before they could hook up an auxillary feed. Then, our bass player, who is wireless, walked to the back of the room, and asked a bunch of staff members what they thought of the sound and volume, and it was "thumbs up" all around. So, the house guy ended up just "augumenting" our sound with the house system, letting us drive the main sound with our L1s.

Here is a pic from a couple of years ago, minus the drum riser, and with conventional drums instead of e-drums. We have learned a lot since then.
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Well, the sound was excellent on Friday night at the Redding Convention Center, I was able to monitor our performance from several points in the room wirelessly, and I was very impressed.

One of my Co-Workers, who is a Musician, was sitting off to the side by one of the House Speakers. She and her husband are both Musicians, and she said the sound was a bit "muddy" from her seated position. Her husband did some walking around, and came back excitedly to tell her to "Check out the sound from the middle of room".

What he doesn't know, is that he has an L1 Compact on it's way right now for his Christmas present!

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

We finished up Jim's whirlwind tour with a bar gig on Saturday night, at the very venue where we held his farewell party when he left the band 5 years ago. As you can see, these "old men" still had some fire left after 3 nights back to back:
Bombay's Saturday Night

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

What a weekend eh?
Thanks for that Jeff, looks and sounds like it was tons'O'fun!

Are you still gigging with any regularity since Jim left all those yrs ago?
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the reply. We still get out once in a while, maybe once a month or so. But, it sure is nice whenever Jim rolls into town. It's like putting on your favorite shirt, it just fits perfect, and feels great!

How about you Pete, are you still tearing it up on the weekends?

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hey Jeff,

This was so much fun - I really enjoyed the visuals.

So many of your pictures show youu entertaining at non-toxic (kid-safe) levels.

And I remember this place
Pictures from the Convention Center ? link to original thread

quote:
Originally posted by Holliwil:
We basically beat the sound guys to a soundcheck by getting our first song going before they could hook up an auxillary feed. Then, our bass player, who is wireless, walked to the back of the room, and asked a bunch of staff members what they thought of the sound and volume, and it was "thumbs up" all around. So, the house guy ended up just "augumenting" our sound with the house system, letting us drive the main sound with our L1s.

When there's just no time for talkin' sometimes you just have to do. Good for you.

And it's great to see you rockin'
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Thanks ST,

I haven't had that much fun playing live music in quite a while; I didn't have much of a voice left on Monday, but it was well worth it! Wink

Here's a link to another of the songs performed:
Vertigo

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Hey Jeff, enjoyed Vertigo...great song, well done.

I was never a U2 fan, but when downloading from Amazon the mp3 album of Truth by Robben Ford,
I got three other songs in the DL package...Vertigo was one, Madonna, and Fall Out Boy were the others.
Took a long time before I found out the others were not Ford songs.
I thought "man, what a variety of styles he can pull off!"

I am now a U2 fan, have gone back and bought Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby!