bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

A bad night for a soundman...but the Bose sounded great!

I was in the Fort Worth Stockyards (The Round Up Inn) last night at an Acoustic/Vocal Competition. The venue is huge! It had a space for a soundman to be placed along one side of the wall and he could patch his mixer/effecs into it instead of running a snake. The mixer was a Midas Venice 240 24-Channel Analog Mixer. The house sound was two Bose L1s (one on both sides of the stage) mounted on the wall and 4 B1s (two on both sides of the stage). There were two Bose Monitors (Floor Wedges) for the performers. When the soundman had it working it working...it sounded great! The monitors rarely worked for the performers, they could not hear them at all.
Not a good showing for a Bose Product for the performers and audiance attendance because of the soundman's problems. Negative comments from the performers and guests about the sound. They will be back for the next two Wednesday nights. Let's see if they get a different soundman after last nights performance.
One the positive side...when they FOH L1s were working...they sounded great!
11 REPLIES 11
eddiec1
Registered since

Jan 20, 2011

Re: A bad night for a soundman...but the Bose sounded great!

Hey Bobby,
Thought I'd throw in on your string here and add some comments. It sounds like the soundman was using the system more like a traditional PA (i.e., L1s for mains and separate floor monitors) rather than using the L1s by themselves as mains/monitors. Even if running them with a soundman out front, placing the L1s behind and to the side of the performers should eliminate the need for monitors. I have three L1 systems that I use exclusively as my main/monitor rig. I typically run a six piece country band and host Gospel Jams at my local church. All performers go through the L1s.

For the country band, I split the L1s into three separate zones with each zone controlling their own sound (no soundman). For the Gospel Jam, I connect two L1 classics directly to the house mixer (Mackie 32 x 😎 and connect the L1 Classics directly to via the line outs from the house snake. I do this mainly to use the house CD player for the backing tracks. The third L1 (model II) with T1 is reserved for my acoustic and SM58 mike. If needed I can run a line out of the T1 (Master out) back to the house via the snake. It's a sweet rig and I'll never go back to chasing monitor feedback, muddy sound, etc. of a traditional rig. I sold off my Peavey 2x15s, 2X18s, 2 CS800X amps, 2 stage monitors, 16 channel snake, effects, eqs, and Mackie 1604vlz mixer. I went from needing a trailer to haul it all to my entire rig fitting in the back seat of my Chevy truck.

Attached is a photo of the band performing at a VIP party last summer at the South Fork Ranch in Dallas. Since it was an outside gig we weren't sure how the L1s would handle the test so we accented it with a traditional pa and ran instument line outs to the L1s. The L1s did great and dispersed an nice even controlled volume across the crowd.

Keep us informed on how the next gig goes. I might have to drop down to the stockyards and check it out sometime.

Eddie C.
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

It is very possible the speakers that Bobby is talking about are Bose MA12's. They were a result of the R&D of the L1. While similar in appearance and performance there are differences. The primary difference is they are designed to be used in installed situations and they use the Bose controller for system eq.

Good equipment never guarantees good sound.

O..
eddiec1
Registered since

Jan 20, 2011

Yep, I forgot about that set up. I've seen that system installed at several church settings. Thanks, Eddie C.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I did some research last night and found out that the system was indeed the Panaray MA12 Modular Line Array Loudspeakers (one per side of the stage mounted on the wall). The Subs were Panaray MB4 Modular Bass Loudspeakers. I could not tell how many there were because they were hid in the wall will a screen like material hiding them.
The monitors were either the Panaray 310M or 620M Multiposition Floor Arrays. I didn't look for a model number on them. My performers told me that when they were turned on, they were clear as they could be. Otherwise, they couldn't hear a thing.
I plan to go back next Wednesday and take more pictures of them. Here is the only snap shot of I got of the stage and monitors.
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Though I have never used either the 310M or 620M, I am intrigued by the design.

The array of the 620 is similar (if not identical) to the array in the Compact. The 310 is effectively half of the 620.

I think both could be turned into great sellers by making them active, with inputs similar to the Compact. I would go one step further and suggest that with the proper electronics and controls they might be a good seller as a guitar amp. Configured as a simple powered speaker the 310 might be great as satellite speakers for the Compact. With some cabinet modifications to make controls accessible and the speakers stand mountable, while retaining the multiple floor mount angles, they could be very versatile.

O..
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I took a couple of pictures of the competition tonight of the Bose Sound System. The Subs were hidden under the white frame. Tonights sound was great on the acoustic guitars, but the vocals were distorted. Since we made the finals last week, I am curious on the sounds for next week.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I took somemore pictures of the Bose System tonight. The sound was more distorted tonight on the vocals. However, the guitars sounded good. The bose towers are on the wall and the bass units are underneath in the wall behind the frame.
I am curious what the sound will be like next week since we are in the finals. Hopefully the monitors will be working next week.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

Here is a shot of the room from the stage area. The room is actually huge!
Dan_Cornett
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

First of all, those are definitely the MA12's. I'll also bet they are MB4's in the wall, not B1's.

My speculation is that the vocal mics are not being EQ'd nicely ... and / or having their trims too high on the mixing board.

This, to me, seems to be an ideal situation for the performers to each have their own T1. Your T1 is set up properly for you and your guitar, proper EQ and everything. Then, all the FOH system needs to handle is a single connection from the T1's Master output. You know how it sounds with your L1 -- and you then advise the house sound engineer that all the tone control should be set 'flat' to start with for your particular input channel being fed from the T1.