discovergems
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

A two-Bose Line 1 Model 2 setup..question.

Good day,

I have for years owned a L1M2 system with the two single bass (B1) units, that I've been happy with since day one, running in mono.  I am finally thinking of adding a second L1M2, with the B2 unit, and now running them in strereo, for much more power.

Do you foresee any problems running these same-but different systems together?   I only ask because I am not sure how similar or different sounding they are from each other, technically speaking, considering the different bass levels, for one.  I personally think they would work together....thanks!

Jay

10 REPLIES 10
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: A two-Bose Line 1 Model 2 setup..question.

Hi, Jay!

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

discovergems posted:

Good day,

I have for years owned a L1M2 system with the two single bass (B1) units, that I've been happy with since day one, running in mono. 

Terrific.

I am finally thinking of adding a second L1M2, with the B2 unit, and now running them in strereo, for much more power.

Do you foresee any problems running these same-but different systems together?   

You shouldn't have any problems.

I only ask because I am not sure how similar or different sounding they are from each other, technically speaking, considering the different bass levels, for one.  I personally think they would work together....thanks!

Jay

The B2 Bass Level Switch is the only significant difference.

B2 Switching

B2RearPanel.png

The B2 bass module includes a switch allowing you to select the appropriate level of bass output for your application.

There are three settings:

Switch PositionApplication
+Bass voicing designed for DJ/Music playback applications
Similar to four B1s
NormalBass voicing ideal for bass guitar or live sound application when mic'ing a kick drum
Similar to twp B1s
-Bass voicing which is perfect for acoustic guitar and vocal
Similar to oneB1

While the B2 will push more bass than the two B1s, that shouldn't affect your stereo imaging.

Does that help?
ST

RayV
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

I use 2 L1/M2 units for our shows with our 5-pc. semi-accoustic group, and just one unit for most of the shows we do as a duo.  One system with B1 (for those duo shows), the other with B2 (on the side of the stage with bass guitar for the full group). 

Yes, there is a slight imbalance on the bass (which we really don't mind), and our sound guy out front sets it perfectly through our Behringer XR-18 and XAir software. 

Trust me - you will love it!!

discovergems
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

Thanks very much for your replies.  I had a feeling I needn't worry about sound imbalance, etc, and that they would work just fine together.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions on how to best run the two in stereo, from auxillery out inputs, please feel free.  Like, do you run left master out using a single aux-1/4inch cable, and then the same out from the right, to the other side? With the one unit, I use a aux out to mono cable...I take it the input when running stereo you still have to run into the Bose with a mono cable?  I've read some things, but still not clear on how to best run them

Thank you!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Jay (discovergems).

discovergems posted:

Thanks very much for your replies.  I had a feeling I needn't worry about sound imbalance, etc, and that they would work just fine together.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions on how to best run the two in stereo, from auxillery out inputs, please feel free.  Like, do you run left master out using a single aux-1/4inch cable, and then the same out from the right, to the other side? With the one unit, I use a aux out to mono cable...I take it the input when running stereo you still have to run into the Bose with a mono cable?  I've read some things, but still not clear on how to best run them

Thank you!

What kind of mixer are you using?

How many inputs do you have?

Will you run:

• Dual Mono: Same sound from both L1 systems?
  • Stereo: Different sound coming from left and right L1 systems?
    • The T1 is a mono device. It wasn't intended to support different mixes going to separate L1 systems. For example, there are no pan controls, and the Aux output doesn't support reverb.  The T4S/T8S mixers are stereo mixers and a better choice if you have multiple inputs and need to run stereo.

Please tell us more about what you need to do.

Thanks,

ST

discovergems
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

Hi ST,

I would be running AUX out of a Pioneer DJM-700, and was assuming that running the L1's in stereo somehow would sound the best.  You can assume I'd be running them without a T1, though I may also get my hands on one of those as well..which I would like to have anyway.

Thx!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Jay.

discovergems posted:

Hi ST,

I would be running AUX out of a Pioneer DJM-700, and was assuming that running the L1's in stereo somehow would sound the best. 

I don't see Aux Outs in this picture of the back of a Pioneer DJM 700

I would connect the Master Right and Left outputs to the L1 Model II systems using XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables.

That will give you a balanced connection and that's the preferred way to go for the best signal to noise and noise rejection.

You can assume I'd be running them without a T1, though I may also get my hands on one of those as well..which I would like to have anyway.

Since you're going to be running two L1 systems in stereo, you'll be much happier with a T4S or T8S. They were engineered to work with stereo inputs and two powered loudspeakers (L1, F1, S1).

Thx!

Does that help?
ST

discovergems
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

Thank you..that is excellent advice!   

Sorry, I meant to say RCA cables..ugh.  Had always gone out of RCA on this mixer.  I will consider the XLR now of course... I just like how RCA are less bulky back there.

I will def' keep i mind the T4S or T8S as well, though I was not looking to spend that extra money just yet.  (the T1 mite come with a L1 I am eyeing).

Much appreciated, all of this!

Jay

discovergems
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

Hi ST,

Just one thing..about the cable you posted.  I did not realize you could plug in a balanced/stereo cable/tip into the Line 1.  Are you saying this is okay as long as you are only sending one channel to it out from mixer?  Otherwise, I had always used a Y cable out from mixer, to a mono plug.

Thanks,

Jay

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jay,

discovergems posted:

Hi ST,

Just one thing..about the cable you posted.  I did not realize you could plug in a balanced/stereo cable/tip into the Line 1. 

It's preferable to use a balanced connection when the source and destination support it. You get better signal-to-noise and greater resistance to line noise.

Are you saying this is okay as long as you are only sending one channel to it out from mixer? 

Yes.

Otherwise, I had always used a Y cable out from mixer, to a mono plug.

The Y cable is probably shorting the outputs from your mixer together. Please see the article below for reasons why you might not want to do that.

Stereo to Mono Conversion

Thanks,

Jay

All good?
ST