rogueacoustic
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Acoustic duo - L1 Model 2 or L1S (maybe a second L1S)?

Hello,

I purchased the L1S and of course, I'm wondering if it's enough horsepower.  I play guitar and sing backups with my lead singer in my classic rock band as an acoustic duo.  We're definitely a more "in your face" type of duo rather than just background music.  

I've been running the L1S pretty hot behind us, just under feedback levels, and everyone thinks it sounds great in the venues we have been playing.  We've got some outdoor shows coming up and I'm concerned it's not going to have the same impact.  

We stand as we perform, so my guitar is generally below the speaker column of the L1S.  If I step up to the Model 2, is it going to create a problem with my guitar if I turn and face the speaker? Would I be better served with a second L1S system to keep my guitar under the throw, or should I look for another type of reinforcement?

Thanks for any help or experience.

3 REPLIES 3
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Acoustic duo - L1 Model 2 or L1S (maybe a second L1S)?

Hi, rogueacoustic.

For context: I have both an L1 Model 1S and an L1 Model II.

L1 Model 1S or L1 Model II

For most situations, we equate volume with projection or audience coverage. This doesn't apply in the same way when comparing an L1 Model 1S to an L1 Model II.

As you mentioned, the L1 Model II has drivers from the floor to the top of the Cylindrical Radiator®.  If you play and L1 Model 1S and L1 Model II at the same stage volume, the L1 Model II will project farther.  This also means if someone is listening to both at a distance and the two L1s are heard to have the same volume, the volume on the stage for the L1 Model II will be lower than the L1 Model 1S.

Okay - what does that mean for you?

• If you run the L1 Model II at the same volume as you run the L1 Model 1S now - you will be able to reach a bigger audience.
    • Your gain before feedback remains the same
    • Your audience coverage before feedback is better with the L1 Model II

rogueacoustic posted:

Hello,

I purchased the L1S and of course, I'm wondering if it's enough horsepower.  I play guitar and sing backups with my lead singer in my classic rock band as an acoustic duo.  We're definitely a more "in your face" type of duo rather than just background music. 

I've been running the L1S pretty hot behind us, just under feedback levels, and everyone thinks it sounds great in the venues we have been playing.  We've got some outdoor shows coming up and I'm concerned it's not going to have the same impact.  

Thanks for the background information. That was really helpful.

We stand as we perform, so my guitar is generally below the speaker column of the L1S.  If I step up to the Model 2, is it going to create a problem with my guitar if I turn and face the speaker?

No, you shouldn't create a problem. When you get feedback or issues with the guitar, it's probably caused by the interaction between the guitar and the B1 or B2 bass module.  I haven't found the L1 Model II to be more prone to feedback.  Generally, it's less because I usually run it a lower stage volume than the L1 Model 1S.

Would I be better served with a second L1S system to keep my guitar under the throw, or should I look for another type of reinforcement?

Two L1 Model 1S systems

You want to play to larger audiences. Let's talk about whether adding a second L1 Model 1S will help you to do that.

Q: Are two L1 Model 1S systems running the same signal, louder than one?

A: Maybe, a little.

When you add a second identical loudspeaker*,  the most you can expect to gain under ideal circumstances is about +3 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level). You may get + 3 dB SPL more if you are working with relatively small loudspeakers at low frequencies (under 200 Hz), and the loudspeakers are close together.

* this applies to Bose or other brands of loudspeaker

Q: Will I cover more area with two L1 Model 1S systems (compared to one)?

A: Yes, from side to side but not front to back

The increase in coverage is related to the distance between the two systems. If you put them side-by-side there will be very little difference in coverage.  If you put them 20 feet (6 meters) apart (side to side on the stage) you increase the coverage by 20 feet from side to side. You don't increase the projection from front to back.

Summary

If you're open to getting the L1 Model II, it should serve you well, depending on:

• The size of your larger outdoor audiences and
  • If you will be on an elevated stage. You want most of your audience (ears) to be within the range from bottom to top of the Cylindrical Radiator® for best results.

How big will your larger audiences be?

Will you be on elevated stages above the height of the audience? If so, then we should be talking about adding a couple of F1 Model 812 systems to your L1 Model 1S.

Thanks for any help or experience.

Does that help?

ST

rogueacoustic
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Thank you, ST. Glad you saw and replied to my thread. Always with the best info and advice.

mdhastings
Registered since

Nov 10, 2019

Regarding guitar feedback - the only time I've had a problem was with an acoustic guitar, and only then, when the performer played in a certain key and hit a certain note.