New discussion for nungten
9 REPLIES 9
nungten
Registered since

Jan 3, 2011

Re: Adding a second Compact

Hi ST,
Good Greetings to you...

i have now got the Compact, been using it for the past two weeks and it's Great !
i eventually got an SM58 but i hope to get one of those headworn mics, in time.

Anyhow, i write in now to seek more of your guidance... i now wish to get another Compact but would like to know what to use to connect the two... is it the T1??? it would have to be something with at least 4inputs.
also would really appreciate it if you could direct me to the appropriate forum for this..
Thankyou !
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nungten,

A few questions for you:
  • Please describe the four inputs you will be using. (are they microphones or ...)
  • Are you planning to run stereo or mono?
  • How wide is the stage where you will be performing?
  • Typically - how large are the spaces in which you will perform.

You previously describe your performance space this way...

quote:
Originally posted by nungten:
FYI the Compact would be used for performance (acoustic gui/voc) in intimate sized venues with the performer sitting and the audience listening intently. the stage areas are small so the performer would be about four feet or so from the Compact.

Is this still applicable?
nungten
Registered since

Jan 3, 2011

Hi ST,
Thanks for your response.
Yes i did earlier decide to get the Compact for my own use and with one Compact this is still applicable...but now i feel the need to make available the possibility for more/other musicians to play.
so, the minimum four inputs would be basically one mic and three instruments but also there is a need for flexibility, like perhaps all four instruments or two mics, two instruments etc. etc.
i'd really appreciate your advice on what would be best to connect the two Compacts with these options of four or 5/6 inputs.
the venues will vary but most will be small - max three hundred people. the stage width will vary from 10feet upwards till twenty or so.
i don't quite understand the question "Are you planning to run stereo or mono?" but one reason i wish to get another Compact is to make the sound system stereo.

i look forward to your reply.
Thank You!
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nungten,

I would run up to two inputs to each Compact and this is fine because you have enough inputs to do this. But for the greatest flexibility, I would have a T1® for each Compact.

On a small stage (less than 10-15 feet wide) I would run the signals so that each sound source (microphone or instrument) is heard through only one Compact.

Here is an article that explains why.

Localization

In this scenario, the two Compacts are not actually connected.

For the greatest flexibility and control you would have two sets of

T1® plus Compact

System 1
Microphone to the T1®
Instrument 1 to the T1®
T1® to the Compact

System 2
Instrument 2 to T1®
Instrument 3 to T1®
T1® to Compact.

You can start off without using the T1®s but on the second Compact you will need to get an adapter to allow you to connect an instrument to Compact Channel 1. This is not recommended because that input is intended for a vocal microphone.

You will probably want at least one T1® to solve the issue above.

Then you would have four inputs on the T1® and one microphone input available on each Compact.

In the T1® you have the ability to route signals to two separate outputs called Main and Aux. You would be able to handle one microphone and one instrument going to one Compact and two more instruments going to the other Compact. But this could be tricky to manage in a live performance situation.

With two T1®s you have the greatest flexibilty.
Each T1® + Compact could accommodate:
Five inputs with up to four of them for microphones or that could be
Five inputs with up to four of them for instruments.

That is is because the T1® microphone inputs can also be used for instruments.

But back to basics:
Imagine that you are performing on your own with your Compact. If you wanted to add one more musician, you would need more inputs. A T1® would be a great solution to this.

On the other side of the stage, you have two more musicians. They get their own T1® and Compact.

How does that sound?

Where I am, you can buy a Compact a little more than the price of two T1®s.

SO

If you had three Compacts you could do this:
Compact 1
Instrument

Compact 2
Vocal
Instrument

Compact 3
Instrument

In this approach you could add up to one more microphone on Compacts 1 and 3.
nungten
Registered since

Jan 3, 2011

Hi ST,
Thanks for your reply.

what i would like to know now is if it is possible to hook up 2 compacts in stereo and how it could be done wth a regular mixer having 2 outputs Left & Right.

Thankyou !
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nungten,

Yes it is possible to hook up a mixer to two Compacts. In a live music situation the term stereo may not actually apply. But yes, you can use a mixer with left and right outputs.

Send the left output to one Compact (on Channel 2 with the ToneMatch set to Line Level)

Send the right output to one Compact (on Channel 2 with the ToneMatch set to Line Level)

On your mixer, set each input panned hard to one side (left or right). Typically, you will pan each source to the Compact that is closest to it.

It sounds like the Compacts will be within 10 feet of each other. In that case it is best NOT to pan any source to both Compacts.

Please see this article for details: Stereo / Mono / Distributed systems
nungten
Registered since

Jan 3, 2011

Hi ST,
THANKS ! once again for all the information.

is the T1 good to use in this way? there does not seem to be 2 L-R outputs on it...
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nungten,

I described how you could use a T1® (a single T1®) above.

If you have a T1® and two Compacts...

quote:
Then you would have four inputs on the T1® and one microphone input available on each Compact.

In the T1® you have the ability to route signals to two separate outputs called Main and Aux. You would be able to handle one microphone and one instrument going to one Compact and two more instruments going to the other Compact. But this could be tricky to manage in a live performance situation.

A mixer has two outputs - left and right.

The T1® has two outputs - Main and Aux.

The Main is very easy to understand, but you may want to read this notes about the T1® Aux Output
nungten
Registered since

Jan 3, 2011

Hi ST,
THANKS !
i'll go through the notes..
much gratitude.