dfwhoot
Registered since

Mar 24, 2009

Adding additional speakers

I run a karaoke show with a L1 ModeL 11 system and two bass units. Toward the end of the night, the volumn increases and causes channels to turn RED--. Is it possible to add powered speakers in addition to the set-up?

Jerl Welch
7 REPLIES 7
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Adding additional speakers

Hi Jerl Welch,

Do you have a T1®?
If the lights are not in the red at the beginning of the night, and they are at the end, then it sounds like you are adjusting the trims (small knobs at the top of the T1®). If this is the case: you should not need to adjust the trims. You should control sound with the Channel Volumes and the Master Volume.

If you do not have a T1® and you are talking about the Model II Power Stand Analog input limiter light on the Power Stand, then you have reached the maximum usable output from a single Model II.

There is no output on the Model II Power Stand from which you could tap a signal for additional powered speakers. You would have to tap that from the source (e.g. mixer or T1®).

If you have a T1® you can take a line out from the Master Output on the back. Note: You want avoid having those external speakers covering the same area as the Model II. If you have all the speakers including the L1® covering the same area, the sound can get very muddy. This in turn will contribute to the sense of not being able to hear the music, even if it is louder.
dfwhoot
Registered since

Mar 24, 2009

Yes , I do have the T1, it could be that I'm not adjusting the trims, channel volums and master properly.
The Model II speakers such a great area, where would be a proper position to place an external speaker...
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jerl Welch,

Let's deal with this part first.

quote:
Originally posted by dfwhoot:
Yes , I do have the T1, it could be that I'm not adjusting the trims, channel volums and master properly.

Gain Staging a Microphone with the T1®

Please watch the short video below. It is for the Model I, but the principles are the same.

--== click the picture ==--

Unfortunately there is no video for doing this on the T1® but the ideas are equally applicable.

Use the same microphone technique Steve describes in the video.

The colors on the T1® are a little different because the T1® trim uses 3 colors. You want to have a good solid green signal with occasional flickers of yellow.

If you are seeing flickers of red, turn down the trim.

For more detailed notes see: T1® Gain Staging.

Once you have the trim set, you probably do NOT need to adjust the trims again unless you have someone who sings loud enough to clip the input (red flickers), or so softly as to fail to properly excite the preamp (only occasional green flickers or no lights at all).

Once you have the trims set, you will use the T1® Channel volumes to set the relative loudness of the Channels - relative to each other. The Master Volume is for the overall loudness.

You can turn up the Channel Volumes and Master Volume as high as you want. You won't hurt the L1®. As long as the trims are not flashing or solid red, you probably won't hear any distortion. As you turn up you may reach a point where nothing gets louder. Until that point, there is likely no benefit to adding additional speakers.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

I'd say add a second L1
you won't have this problem.
dfwhoot
Registered since

Mar 24, 2009

Thanks for your expertise. I'm just not able to add another system, that's why I thought adding an external speaker might help.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jerl Welch,

Please try setting your trim settings as described in my post above. Then turn up as loud as you need to and see if you actually hit the limits of the L1®. You'll sense that. You reach a point where the sound just doesn't get louder.

Warning - that is very loud.

Okay, if you actually get to that point OR if you feel like you are losing your low end, (the Cylindrical Radiator®s are outrunning your B1s) then consider adding more B1s

PackLite® Extended Bass Package (PackLite® amp + two B1 Bass Modules)

The reason I am not answering the question about additional speakers, is because I'm not sure that they would help. At this point, we're not sure that you have actually experienced how loud your L1® can be. So please try that. Find the real limits of the L1® before you spend money on other things.
dfwhoot
Registered since

Mar 24, 2009

I have been using two B1's.
I will set the volumns as you described and will post my results. thanks....Jerl